The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Railroad Crossing now Enabled!

Post by Vespucci41
Hi Everyone,

We are happy to announce that Railroad Crossing is now Enabled in WME Production.

Some facts on how the feature works:
  • Railroad crossing alert: When a railroad crossing is mapped as such in WME, users will receive an alert in the app.
  • The component: To make this feature happen, we decided to reuse a component you are already familiar with. The flow in WME is based on the concept of the speed cams, just without the speed field.
  • Adding a crossing: Railroad crossings can be added under Road > Railroad crossing and is displayed on a seperate layer. When adding crossings, you need to place alerts on both sides of the crossing pointing both towards the crossing.
  • Permissions: For the initial launch we’ve asked for a global L4 lock that can later be configured per country & object.
  • Data Imports & verification: To get you started we’ve decided to import data from the Federal Railroad Administration database in the US (database contains 100,000 crossings after we cleaned it up a little bit already).

We imported data also for France and Canada.
You can find some visuals attached.

Some additional things to be mindful of:
  • For a very brief testing period (yet to be determined), the alerts will appear as dummy cameras to non-beta users. Only beta users will see the railroad crossing alert. So please only add railroad crossings for testing for now, not for mapping large amounts.

EDIT
  • Currently client testing is limited to beta testers.
FAQ from Beta release notes
delilush wrote: How far away should it be placed from the tracks?
In proximity to the tracks. We'll leave the specific guidance for the local communities and we'll learn more about it during testing.

Does the feature belong to high attention zone feature?
Yes, though the implementation is different in this case than suggested in the original idea for the HAZs. As many mentioned, this is a very common issue we receive across the board from our users and partners (more than some other HAZs) so we went ahead to implement it with our existing infrastructure. This does not mean that other HAZ will be implemented in this way as well. Development on other HAZs has not yet started.

How will the data imports work for other countries?
We are not certain about this yet. Meanwhile if you have open datasources we could use for your countries, you can start adding them to this sheet. I can't promise though that imports will happen for all countries, but we'd love to hear where you see good opportunities.

If we add new crossing alerts, are the next round of imports going to create duplicates?
Yes, if you are in the US and are adding a crossing, eventually a duplicate will be imported. This is why we created the guidance to only map for testing purposes for now.

Is the feature designed for all kind of rail crossing (with or without barriers) or for railroad crossing without barriers only?
We will leave this decision to local guidance. Of course different levels of attention are required by drivers depending on the physical safety precautions taken on a junction.

Since this is based on the camera feature, will we need to make a trigger edit for the crossings to go live on the next tile update?
We need to check on that. For now I encourage the alpha group to test it as well.

What was the advantage of implementing the alert this way? In North America, most every railroad crossing is mapped as a junction with road segments. It seems like it would have been far simpler to program Waze to alert if the driver's route is about to pass through a junction node that includes a segment of Railroad type.
In this case, we determined that a mapping solution, controlled by the community, is a better option.

Best,
Daliah

Best,
Ruben
Vespucci41
Waze Team
Waze Team

POSTER_ID:17527666

Send a message
Attachments
Last edited by LostInMyMaps on Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove sticky

Post by WazingArch
What is the best way to place RRC icon in terms of visibility on the app.

Place icons on both sides of the road ON the railroad (it is initially possible to attach the icon to the railroad)
RRC_1.png
(91.84 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
IMG_5685.jpg
(50.24 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
or
place icons on both sides of the road just a little bit in front of the railroad (where road sign is placed)
WazingArch
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Attachments
Coordinator BG • Global Champ • CM Manager BG • Translator
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Уики България | Best map editing practice

Post by Vespucci41
GhostNinja91 wrote:Will Australia data get added to?
Not currently planned if you have an available open data source, you can submit it here.

Thanks,
R
Vespucci41
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by Vespucci41
Glodenox wrote:I have a question to which I think I already know the answer, but I'm going to ask it anyway:
Our rail infrastructure operator asks us if it in any way possible to personalize the railroad crossing icon based on the country?
Belgium-RRC.png
I personally think the current icon is clear enough and I don't think they disagree, but they had created a mock-up image of an icon that more closely represents how our railway crossings are signed. Considering that Waze is reusing the code used by the speed cameras, it seems unlikely to me that this will be an option. But at least I can now tell them I asked about it :lol:
Indeed you right :lol:

I will file the request in case in the future will undergo any addition.

Thank you!
Vespucci41
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by Vespucci41
Vespucci41 wrote:
alexnrocha wrote:Hi Ruben,

Could you address to the localization team or check if alert in the app was added to the Transifex resources? Here, we see the alert in English only (string not found in Transifex) :(

Language: Portuguese (Brazil)

Will check on that!
String was added in Transifex :mrgreen:
Vespucci41
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by Vespucci41
alexnrocha wrote:Hi Ruben,

Could you address to the localization team or check if alert in the app was added to the Transifex resources? Here, we see the alert in English only (string not found in Transifex) :(

Language: Portuguese (Brazil)

Will check on that!
Vespucci41
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by Vespucci41
Sapozhnik wrote:When it will be visible in app?
You anonsed it in public forum, editors start use it but users will see cameras and will send UReports.
As I understand, users US see more 100.000 dummy cameras
Is now open to everyone in the client. :mrgreen:
Vespucci41
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by Vespucci41
jm6087 wrote:Ruben,

Can you confirm for us, does a RRC need to be "verified"/"approved" to show in the app? I think we are hearing reports that the imports (even though not "verified"/"approved") are showing in the app?

Even non verified one will appear in the app. It's just an indication for Editor to verify the imports.
Vespucci41
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by Vespucci41
abc1357 wrote:
Vespucci41 wrote:
Some additional things to be mindful of:
  • For a very brief testing period (yet to be determined), the alerts will appear as dummy cameras to non-beta users. Only beta users will see the railroad crossing alert. So please only add railroad crossings for testing for now, not for mapping large amounts.
  • Currently client testing is limited to a small alpha group. We expect to widen the beta circle next week
This is confusing. Does the alerts show for alpha group only, beta users, or all users?
Sorry for the confusion, edited with the current situation.
The feature is currently available for all beta testers.
Vespucci41
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by Vespucci41
iainhouse wrote:
Vespucci41 wrote:We’re bringing a very cool & highly confidential new feature to beta -
Either this post is in the wrong forum, or that text shouldn't be there. :lol:
Indeed edited the post :)
Vespucci41
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message