Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by dknight212
Major A-roads that pass through or go around a town may be set to have No City.
Why not just say, major A-roads may (should?) be set to have No City.
dknight212
Send a message

Post by dknight212
The London borough is bigger than the London town. Is there life outside London? ;-)
dknight212
Send a message

Post by dknight212
PhilNaughton wrote:I have no objection to getting rid of the county suffix. I always had the dilemma of whether to put Lancs or Manchester in brackets after my home town of Bolton. It's officially in Greater Manchester, but still cannot bring myself to accept this. After all the change only happened 42 years ago...

My problem is in naming the areas of a large city like Manchester. There are many areas that are well known and easily defined like Moss Side, Didsbury etc, but there are also those smaller ones that no one has every heard of. I really think we need a City/Town/Village field and a district field, rather than a county field. Although that is another argument and not really related to this discussion.
Phil - I have sympathy with you as London is similar with names. But just because non locals haven't heard of the district doesn't mean they need a suffix. Same as little villages (such as Lower Dicker) - as long as they are unique I don't think they need suffixes.
dknight212
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
All for this, Tim! With or without a pre-advised list!

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
ditchi56 wrote:
Timbones wrote:There are 929 towns in England
robin1979 wrote:If you deliver a file with all towns to Waze, Waze can import them, and lock the addition of new cities.
Not arguing against the proposal for removing the (county).

However, many of the entries in the "city" field in England are neither cities nor towns but villages. So restricting possible values of "city" using a predefined list of cities and towns would be a much bigger change. Using a predefined list of cities, towns and villages would be fine if someone could find such a list - or we could continue to allow editors freedom as now.

Incidentally, the use of "city" for village names is entirely consistent with usage in the homeland of Waze. In the US, "cities" frequently have less than 100 inhabitants.
I agree on the use of the city field for villages, I do it often too, but just to be my usual pedant self, the waze homeland is Israel, not the US. ;-)

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
What shows on the map is dictated by "city" size not city name size. Plus I still think it'll get rid of the vast majority of unnecessary suffices!

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
I'm not gonna argue with this. It seems there's enough support but can we please drop the frigging ramp debate?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
As long as roads in that vicinity have City set, the Major/Minor road would show that anyway.
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Agreed, *except* where a boundary cannot be defined easily, or setting a whole segment will cause a creep, so basically high streets etc only imo.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Of course, but for any newer editors reading, if you're not sure, leave it blank and ask :-)

floppyrod84
Send a message