Voice Commands reference

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Voice Commands reference

Postby slandrum » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:40 pm

There may not have been discussion of specifically the voice commands to shut down the app being removed, but there is a lot of discussion about the general removal of any way within the iPhone app to shut it down. This is not a voice commands issue, but a more general one.
slandrum

Postby majorben » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Thank you for your no help AlanofTheBerg. I did search the forums for hours and did not find anything on the topic. I was not intending to highjack this thread. I simply asked a question about a Voice Command that I thought that this topic - Voice Command Reference - was appropriate. Sorry for disturbing you. You could have at least posted a link to one of the "dozens and dozens of times" my question was asked.
majorben

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:30 pm

majorben wrote:I noticed recently that when after Google took over and changed the app slightly by going to sleep mode, that the commands to close the app like "shut down", "switch off", etc. no longer worked or can no longer be recognized. Is there a working voice command that shuts down the app?

Unrelated to this thread. Don't hijack please. Search the forum. It's been posted about dozens and dozens of times.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby majorben » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:39 pm

I noticed recently that when after Google took over and changed the app slightly by going to sleep mode, that the commands to close the app like "shut down", "switch off", etc. no longer worked or can no longer be recognized. Is there a working voice command that shuts down the app?
majorben

Re: Voice Commands not working

Postby Ankh-Morpork » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:13 am

Heyjaypay wrote:I have noticed recently that the voice commands aren't working, especially when trying to report a hazard on the road. Reporting traffic, police, etc. Works most of the time but whenever I try to report a hazard, It keeps saying "try again", "I didn't hear you" and finally "canceled". I know it's not myself who's too quiet, as I'm almost shouting trying to get it to hear me :x . I have a feeling it has something to do with spotify and my music, but turning down/pausing my music doesn't help either. It would be nice if waze could not only fix this issue but also add a feature to pause spotify when you wave or tap the screen with three fingers to make voice commands easier to hear :roll: . Anyone else having this issue? If so, any temporary fixes?

Yes, I still have the same problem. It could previously only understand me when driving really slow, but with the latest version even when standing still it refuses to understand me. When previously "Report heavy traffic" worked fine, with the latest version it now sits there listening and doing nothing while I'm repeating the command louder and louder each time. It's just not worth it anymore, this way.
Ankh-Morpork
Map Editor - level 2
Map Editor - level 2

Location: Marmite Central, also known as Burton on Trent, UK.

Re: Voice Command for Police on Other Side of Road?

Postby ElliottGreen96 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:42 pm

Hello,

A list of available commands can be found here:
https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6268717
ElliottGreen96
Map Editor - Level 1
Map Editor - Level 1

Re: Screen blanking and hands free?

Postby sketch » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:24 pm

TheHYPO wrote:
vince1612 wrote:If you have an iPhone like I do it's just the phone's proximity sensor which turns the screen dark if it detects something against the screen, like during a phonecall. As far as I know there is no way to turn that off.

It isn't just this, because I can put my hand in front of my phone, or put my phone to my ear or put my phone face down and the screen does not blank on other apps or just on the normal home page. It does when you're in a phone call, but that must be app-specific. This suggests to me that Waze has explicitly selected this option, or at very least has not opted out of it. I don't have issues with any other apps I regularly use except waze, if my hand blocks the camera while trying to tap the screen, it blanks on me and it's really bothersome.

Your analysis isn't exactly wrong, but it is pretty much "just this". The proximity sensor is enabled on a per-app basis. If you have "wave" turned on for voice prompts, then Waze enables the proximity sensor, and as a side effect disables the screen when it detects proximity. So, you are correct that Waze has "explicitly selected this option"; they have done so in order to use the proximity sensor to detect your hand-waving. Other apps don't do this because they don't use the proximity sensor for anything.

If it is such a bother, turn off the "wave" option for voice prompts. Use a 3-finger tap if you must use voice activation.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby TheHYPO » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:23 pm

vince1612 wrote:
TheHYPO wrote:Can anyone tell me 1. How to get that hands-free voice-command dialogue to come up? I seem to randomly cause it to happen, but I'm not sure how to intentionally do it.

Also, if I glance my hand in front of the front camera, it seems to blank the screen in waze. This is particularly irritating given where my phone sits when I drive. Any way to turn this off? Why is this even a feature?

Thanks!

For voice activation, please see the help article here:

If you have an iPhone like I do it's just the phone's proximity sensor which turns the screen dark if it detects something against the screen, like during a phonecall. As far as I know there is no way to turn that off.

It isn't just this, because I can put my hand in front of my phone, or put my phone to my ear or put my phone face down and the screen does not blank on other apps or just on the normal home page. It does when you're in a phone call, but that must be app-specific. This suggests to me that Waze has explicitly selected this option, or at very least has not opted out of it. I don't have issues with any other apps I regularly use except waze, if my hand blocks the camera while trying to tap the screen, it blanks on me and it's really bothersome.
TheHYPO

Postby Nicotunes » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:36 pm

vince1612 wrote:If you have an iPhone like I do it's just the phone's proximity sensor which turns the screen dark if it detects something against the screen, like during a phonecall.

Samsung does that too but I think they use the front camera lens, not the display, as the trigger, so it works better... ;)
Nicotunes

Postby vince1612 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:38 pm

TheHYPO wrote:Can anyone tell me 1. How to get that hands-free voice-command dialogue to come up? I seem to randomly cause it to happen, but I'm not sure how to intentionally do it.

Also, if I glance my hand in front of the front camera, it seems to blank the screen in waze. This is particularly irritating given where my phone sits when I drive. Any way to turn this off? Why is this even a feature?

Thanks!

For voice activation, please see the help article here:

If you have an iPhone like I do it's just the phone's proximity sensor which turns the screen dark if it detects something against the screen, like during a phonecall. As far as I know there is no way to turn that off.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App