Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by sketch
kumiankka wrote:Please correct if I'm wrong but currently, when there is no lanes added to a segment, Waze displays lanes of the next segment even before driver arrives on that segment. This can cause confusion when displayed lanes guidance is in conflict with what the driver should do next.

My suggestion is (even this is no suggestion thread) that default behaviour is changed so that lanes are displayed only when driver arrives on the segment and not beforehand. In case lanes of the next segment must be displayed, a new attribute called "No lanes" should be implemented for WME lanes tab. This attribute, when added to a segment with no lanes, would make Waze to show lanes of the next segment. Thus, it would behave just like "No street" street name attribute that makes Waze to display name of the next segment.

This "No lanes" attribute added to the preceding segment would solve problems caused by, e.g. parking lot road or city border or speed limit change before an intersection, that normally would leave too short of a segment for lanes guidance to be useful (and which I presume is the reason why lanes are displayed beforehand in the first place).
It is a nice idea but it would be terrible to do it this way.

The proper solution would be for Waze to build actual smartness into the system. It is possible to build a system that looks back at all prior segments algorithmically and, based on lane counts, show lanes at the best possible moment. Relying on editors to check boxes on every single segment would just be too much work and incompatible with a lot of existing mapped lanes.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
kumiankka wrote:Not every single segment would need changes. Only if a segment is too short (for whatever reason) for lanes guidance to be useful and the preceding segment does not have lanes (for whatever reason). Only those areas would need to be fixed. Many of the already mapped lanes would work fine as-is.
That sounds simple, and I cannot speak for other parts of the world, but there are many, many places where lanes are present on segments with lots of short segments before them (example).

There are better ways to do this.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
kumiankka wrote:And that's not the only problem with lanes and U-turns. There is also conflict between double-left/median U-turn prevention logic limits and lanes heuristics limits. Lanes will work on # or H junctions up to 50 meters in size and up to 15 degrees off right-angle, whereas U-turn prevention will only work on # or H junctions up to 15 meters in size and 5 degrees off parallel. So, if you need both, lanes and U-turn prevention, you cannot have junction over 15 meters in size without using Junction Box, which is a lvl 5+ tool.
The 15 m U turn prevention was never really intended to be a user-edited thing, even though we have been using it for years. Junction Box really is the correct tool to prevent U turns on wide roads, and we should use it for that.

There is not really any reason for JB to be L5+ only, it's L4+ in the US and that has worked well for us. For what it's worth.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Olestas wrote:So, if we set CS on heuristics junction, what happens? It does not work?
I've tested this personally, and, good news, it seems to work. You have to set the CS on the entry segment (not the median segment), but it works as you'd hope, both for "view only" and "view and hear".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Harmonious4 wrote:These junctions are very common, but heuristics do not recognize them. This leaves a lot of junctions that do not work properly, and of course it is not desirable for production users to encounter this. Before LG is completely released to production, we need lanes on JBs to be released so that we can set up these junctions correctly, as well as other junctions with unusual shapes.
Just leave lanes off of these for now.

Almost every GPS in the world has rolled out lane guidance gradually; it is not abnormal even today for lane data to be incomplete, even in Apple and Google.

Freeways are universally the first thing to get lanes, on any GPS. Fortunately, you don't need any heuristics at all to map lanes on freeways.

This shouldn't be a blocker for release.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
WazingArch wrote:That was exactly I wanted to ask - where do we place continue straight instruction at # junctions - on first or second node along the direction of travel?
You place the "continue straight" on the first (entry) segment, not the second (median) segment.

It works for "view and hear":
https://i.imgur.com/6sTchtil.jpg

and for "view only":
https://i.imgur.com/zSornDPl.jpg

Further, perhaps most importantly, the heuristic properly removes the "continue straight" instruction when you are turning left (even though it crosses over the node with the "continue straight" set on it):
https://i.imgur.com/n3Spggwl.jpg

We have updated the Lanes page in the US Wazeopedia to reflect this (section "Mapping lanes on divided roadways", item 1.2.: "Place any applicable continue straight override on the entry segment.")

@Olestas, it doesn't display when you are driving straight? Maybe a bug in RBS for ROW server? I've tested it so many places with success here (works even if there is a JB, see above), but I know I am on a different routing server than you.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Olestas wrote:Screenshot shows wrong heuristics.. Only one lane is straight per junction setup. I thought it might be cause of CS setup.. have removed CS, will check how it works without it
As jm6087 said, that was an RBS bug that was fixed yesterday or the day before. It has nothing to do with CS.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Olestas wrote: Well, it did not change for me.. Still wrong.. Also other heuristics junctions are wrong now.. Any ideas?
Heuristics problems on RBS need to be reported in Centercode.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
kumiankka wrote:
WazingArch wrote:Is it possible to shorten the distance for displaying lane guidance before the intersections in cities? There are cases where lanes appear even at a previous intersection and drivers get confused about which lanes for which intersection are. Can you suggest a solution for this?
I suggested a feature where this "inheritance", if you will, could be prevented if needed.

It got promptly rejected by the community :roll:
Because it's a complicated problem that will not work with a simple solution.

If you have a one-way road with 2 intersections in a row that look like the representation below, then delaying lanes for (B) until after you pass (A) is worse than the alternative, especially if (A) and (B) are very close together. In cases like this, there is no confusion for showing the lane set for (B) before you get to (A), because the 3 lanes before (A) are the same 3 lanes that exist once you get to (B).

Code: Select all

||       |       ||
    ||               ||
    ||       |       ||
====||               ||==============

- -          (B)              - - - -

====||       |       |        =======
    ||                      ||
    ||       |       |      ||
    ||                   >  ||
    ||       |       | ONLY ||    ^
    ||                      ||    |
    ||       |       |      ||    |
    ||                      ||    |
    ||       |       |      ||    |
    ||                      || direction
    ||       |       |      || of travel
====||                      ||======
               (A)

====||       |       |      ||======
So, a solution to delay showing (B) lanes until after (A) might help some situations but would make others worse. It's robbing Peter to pay Paul.

If you want to say "our country wouldn't add lanes to (A)", please understand that some countries do. A solution that doesn't work for all of us works for none of us.

Please don't misunderstand—I agree that showing lanes too early sometimes is a problem that needs a solution. There are solutions that could work, but they would require a more complex analysis than has been proposed.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Smitty15
jm6087 wrote:
TCholewa wrote:
jm6087 wrote: What do you mean? Can you provide picture? If it is just 2 lane road becomes 1 lane road but it continues on, there is nothing to map.
I was thinking about this situation:
https://i.ibb.co/6mxt6h1/Line-end.png

In my opinion it would be good if driver receive information earlier, that line is going to end, so that he/she safely change to other line.
Staff has already stated that merging lanes and passing lanes are not currently supported. It may be considered in the future.
It would be nice if this was supported. We have high crash areas represented with this scenario where it would be beneficial I'm sure.
Smitty15
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message