Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Self Managed Countries New Definition and Updates

Post by
Hi Everyone,

We hope you are all doing well and safe

As we are going through a cleanup year, we reviewed the countries where we have editing activities and we tried to re-define whether a country is Self managed or not.

Up until now the definition of a Self Managed Country was whether or not it had an Area Manager Sheet.

We believe that this definition does not really reflect what a Self managed community is and after consulting with our Community Boosters and careful considerations within the Communities Team we came up with a new definition:

"A self managed community should have a number of local community members, which are dedicated and stable, and a local coordinator."

According to this new definition, a Community can be defined as Self Managed if there is a group of local community members, with a local coordinator, and with defined local rules and guidelines.

With this new definition in mind, please see here below the list of current Self Managed Communities.

Countries that are not in the list, therefore not considered as Self Managed could still request/ use their AM sheet of course, and can request a Booster to help and grow!

Please do not hesitate to reach out to your Community Manager for any questions or concerns.

Thank you for everything that you do!

Best
Hezi & Tamar on Behalf of the Communities Team

POSTER_ID:17863375

Send a message

Post by DavidAbarca
Do we have a community boosters channel in discord or something like that?
DavidAbarca
Experts
Experts
Send a message
Just another service provided by your friendly neighborhood Global Waze Champ

iPhone 14
Waze Beta Last Version

Post by DavidAbarca
Dutchdirt wrote:
RafaCintron wrote:
DavidAbarca wrote:Do we have a community boosters channel in discord or something like that?
I asked Mauro for one; Still no reply. Soon.
Why Discord? Please keep in mind not every Booster has Discord.

Every Booster is on the Forum.
Its very flexible, and google chat is not the best
DavidAbarca
Experts
Experts
Send a message
Just another service provided by your friendly neighborhood Global Waze Champ

iPhone 14
Waze Beta Last Version

Post by Dutchdirt
I notice that Thailand is not a self-managed country, according to this new definition.

This does raise some questions/concerns:

A. Thailand boosters were not consulted when this new definition was invented.
B. The Thailand community and/or its community leaders were not informed of this decision prior to publishing this list.
C. Please elaborate more on the topic of self-management. What does it mean exactly? What are the pro's and con's of being a self-managed country besides having an AM list?

Greetz, Dutchdirt
Dutchdirt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Dutchdirt
That would be my guess as well Vincent. But before considering to step aside as coordinator in favour of a local one I would like to know what's in it for Thailand.
Dutchdirt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Dutchdirt
SkiDooGuy wrote:I cannot speak to what staff may say...
I very much like to read staff's point of view about self-management. And why this new definition was thought up. What's the overall intentention behind this.

The motivation that this is a clean-up year just way too thin.
Dutchdirt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Dutchdirt
RafaCintron wrote:
DavidAbarca wrote:Do we have a community boosters channel in discord or something like that?
I asked Mauro for one; Still no reply. Soon.
Why Discord? Please keep in mind not every Booster has Discord.

Every Booster is on the Forum.
Dutchdirt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Dutchdirt
If you compare Discord with the the Forum or Google chat then it's amazing.
But when you compare Discord with other modern chat programs, like Slack or others, then Discord isn't so amazing any more.
Dutchdirt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Dutchdirt
Think it's best to compare the free versions. No-cost Slack still beats free Discord because of just one function: threads.

I have used both platforms and because Discord doesn't have threads it's just Google Hangouts in a shiny new dress. Looks good but the functionality still isn't up-to-date.

W/r to the number of users: Maybe Discord is very lively around your part of the world. But that's certainly not the case for the entire Waze world.
Dutchdirt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Dutchdirt
Thanks for the elaboration Tamar & Hezi.

There's just 1 major point unclear to me:
Before this new definition there was an important difference between self managed countries and all other countries: the assignment of AM areas. In non self managed countries every editor could get him/herself an editing area by using the AM request form.

What's the new process for countries that are not self managed but do have the AM request sheet?
Dutchdirt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by LostInMyMaps
People, please. This isn't the place for arguing about which platform is better. Can we stay on topic please and await staff response?
LostInMyMaps
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 7
Send a message
Brendan (LostInMyMaps)
Global Champ, Coordinator, Volunteer Map Editor
Waze Australia

https://i.imgur.com/pdUHgo3.png

Join me in the Waze Australia Discord Server | Australia Wiki | New Aussie Editor Link