Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Self Managed Countries New Definition and Updates

Post by Ottolenga
Hi Everyone,

We hope you are all doing well and safe

As we are going through a cleanup year, we reviewed the countries where we have editing activities and we tried to re-define whether a country is Self managed or not.

Up until now the definition of a Self Managed Country was whether or not it had an Area Manager Sheet.

We believe that this definition does not really reflect what a Self managed community is and after consulting with our Community Boosters and careful considerations within the Communities Team we came up with a new definition:

"A self managed community should have a number of local community members, which are dedicated and stable, and a local coordinator."

According to this new definition, a Community can be defined as Self Managed if there is a group of local community members, with a local coordinator, and with defined local rules and guidelines.

With this new definition in mind, please see here below the list of current Self Managed Communities.

Countries that are not in the list, therefore not considered as Self Managed could still request/ use their AM sheet of course, and can request a Booster to help and grow!

Please do not hesitate to reach out to your Community Manager for any questions or concerns.

Thank you for everything that you do!

Best
Hezi & Tamar on Behalf of the Communities Team
Ottolenga

POSTER_ID:17863375

Send a message

Post by Ottolenga
Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all well,
I will be happy to add some more clarification on the Self managed communities new definition.
  1. When we defined the Booster role with our current boosters, we also discussed the meaning of what exactly is a "Self Managed" community. Most of you agreed that a self managed community should have a local (and by local we mean people who live in the country) and stable group of editors and a local leadership. Countries or communities who don't have that yet will need some help from a Booster. (An external very experienced editor who will serve as a Coordinator)
  2. The role of a Booster is to coordinate the community (using all the available resources like the AM sheet, and communication with Staff) while actively trying to find a stable local group of editors. The booster should always keep in mind that his/her role is not only to edit in a foreign country but that s/he has a guidance role and should always be open and sensitive to the local editors. Eventually the final long term goal is to create the base for a self managed community with a local (living in the country) leadership and community.
  3. This is the only difference between a self managed and a non self managed community: Having an established local (living in the country) community and leadership. There are no additional "benefits" or "disadvantages". Boosters (coordinators for non self managed communities) will still be able to have all resources needed to coordinate the country (including the AM sheet).

Additionally, I see that there is a need for a better communication channel dedicated to Boosters, a place to have dynamic communication and discussions. We are on it and will shortly share an update! In the meantime every suggestion is welcome :)

Hope this clears things up and makes sense!
Please do not hesitate to reach out with any additional questions

Thank you!
Tamar on behalf of the communities team
Ottolenga
Send a message

Post by Ottolenga
Hi

Community Boosters will still have all the resources to manage the country, including AM sheets, so in this regards nothing changes for Thailand, and you can still use the Thailand AM sheet.

Now, the only difference between a self managed and a non self managed community is the presence of a local (living in the country) community and leadership.

Hope this helps clarify your question

Thank you!
Hezi & Tamar
Ottolenga
Send a message

Post by RafaCintron
Dutchdirt wrote:
RafaCintron wrote:
DavidAbarca wrote:Do we have a community boosters channel in discord or something like that?
I asked Mauro for one; Still no reply. Soon.
Why Discord? Please keep in mind not every Booster has Discord.

Every Booster is on the Forum.
Simple. Discord is a much more efficient way of communicating with others. It's optional, of course.
RafaCintron
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by RafaCintron
Dutchdirt wrote:If you compare Discord with the the Forum or Google chat then it's amazing.
But when you compare Discord with other modern chat programs, like Slack or others, then Discord isn't so amazing any more.
Luckyly for me, I'm comparing it to the forum. Slack has some great features but you would need to pay for them. https://droplr.com/how-to/productivity- ... s-discord/

Most wazers have already moved away from slack to discord. The Waze international workspace in Slack is a ghost town. The Waze Global server in discord is very, very active.
RafaCintron
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by RafaCintron
Dutchdirt wrote:Think it's best to compare the free versions. No-cost Slack still beats free Discord because of just one function: threads.

I have used both platforms and because Discord doesn't have threads it's just Google Hangouts in a shiny new dress. Looks good but the functionality still isn't up-to-date.

W/r to the number of users: Maybe Discord is very lively around your part of the world. But that's certainly not the case for the entire Waze world.
I'm talking about waze. Waze global discord server is a very active platform with wazers from around the world. All or most of them migrated form the previous waze user platform: Slack.
RafaCintron
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by SkiDooGuy
I cannot speak to what staff may say, but I don't necessarily think there are any "benefits" of being defined as self managed.

I think it more defines a chain of communication and coordination. In a self-managed country all info pertaining to that country should travel through the Community Manager of that country to the coordinator(s) of that country to the editors, and vice versa. Some things like an AM sheet can provide the local leadership with more localized tools to help the country run smoothly, but that's about it. The real benefit is the defined chain of communication and the point of contact that the coordinator assumes.

I would also agree that the editor base that makes up the "dedicated and stable" base should be from that country and not primarily consist of outside individuals. They can be very helpful, but local experience with the driving conditions and language is the most important part of a communities foundation.

If Waze says or interprets it differently then I am happy to defer to their input, but that's my thoughts on it.
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 1
Send a message
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor

https://i.ibb.co/ZNbYyt5/RIPIain.png

Post by vince1612
Ottolenga wrote:"A self managed community should have a number of local community members, which are dedicated and stable, and a local coordinator."
Just an early guess before you get an official reply.
Maybe by "local" they mean people who live there, and not editors or coordinators who live in another country. By that definition you might be Coordinator for Thailand but not be considered a "local coordinator", and therefor not qualify for the self-management definition I quoted above.

EDIT: Also interested in knowing more with the questions you asked ;)
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... v18.10.png
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D)(FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
https://i.ibb.co/2k1TJHH/RIPIain.png

Post by vincio60
You should consider Angola as Self Managed Country, i'm the Community Coordinator, Aureozb from Luanda(Angola) is Global Champs and help me, there are editors from Angola and Brazil editing all the Country, we have enough editors to be considered an active community.
vincio60
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Italia, Angola Coordinator
Country Booster: Cabo Verde, Guinea Bissau, Moçambique, São Tomé e Principe
https://s.waze.tools/gc.png https://s.waze.tools/coor.pnghttps://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... Badge2.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c6s.png
https://i.ibb.co/ZNbYyt5/RIPIain.pngR.I.P. lainhouse (21.10.2021)