Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

[Script] WME-LaneTools

Post by SkiDooGuy
LaneTools is a script that provides both visual map and interface enhancements and tools.

To install, click on the above link which will take you to GitHub. Click on "Raw" to install the script in Tampermonkey.
2020-12-07_12h55_10.png
(28 KiB) Downloaded 3069 times
Map enhancements
  • Dashed highlights on each half of a segment if there are lanes in that direction
    • A->B = Fwd
    • B->A = Rev
  • Displays the number of lanes in each direction in the center of the segment in the format {#FWD} / {#REV}
2019-10-10_20h13_03.png
(6.23 KiB) Downloaded 5304 times
  • Nodes with lanes with turns through them
  • Nodes with TIOs (turn instruction overrides)
2019-10-10_20h12_55.png
(2.97 KiB) Downloaded 5309 times
  • Solid highlight per segment half if there are missing lane turn associations with that direction
2019-10-10_20h13_09.png
(8.42 KiB) Downloaded 5311 times
2019-10-10_20h13_19.png
(4.52 KiB) Downloaded 5303 times

Toggle-able UI enhancements on the Lanes tab when a segment is selected:
  • User customizable colors for all highlight features
  • When a segment is selected, the lanes tab will automatically be opened
  • When the lanes tab is opened, all lane menus are auto expanded to the edit screen
  • The first lane # input element is focused
  • Fwd/Rev direction indication elements have been added to the lane edit sections
  • Click the street name above each set of lane check boxes to toggle all lanes in that row
  • Buttons allowing the deletion of either all forward or reverse lanes (R5+ and CMs)
2019-10-10_20h11_54.png
(21.89 KiB) Downloaded 5296 times
2019-10-10_20h13_31.png
(12.38 KiB) Downloaded 5301 times

As always, please let me know if there's any issues.
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:16831039

Send a message
Last edited by SkiDooGuy on Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor

https://i.ibb.co/ZNbYyt5/RIPIain.png

Post by SkiDooGuy
Also - as of right now this will not function in WME Prod.

It will load and you can enable/disable it, but the infrastructure for lanes that's in WME Beta is not completely in the Prod version.

I figure that would make sense, but I know someone will say something if I don't...
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor

https://i.ibb.co/ZNbYyt5/RIPIain.png

Post by sketch
YanisKyr wrote: - There are cases where the default Turn Instruction is Turn Left/Right but the default Lane Turn Suggestion is a Sharp Left/Right or Slight Left/Right. Would it be possible to highlight segments or nodes with LG that fall under this conundrum?
I'd prefer that the script not have this. It might create the false impression that this situation is one to be corrected, rather than one to simply be informed of. A 47° turn generating a "slight right" arrow with a "turn right" instruction or a 142° turn generating a "sharp left" turn with a "turn left" instruction is not a problem to be fixed, it is a good native behavior (if those angles are realistic).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
subs5 wrote:Ok false positive due to the way the actual lanes are set up. Thanks
It's not a "false positive"--it's bright red for a reason, it means "You almost definitely don't wanna do this."

Because this falls into the range of angles and distance for heuristics, heuristics will almost definitely try to combine the options into a single lane set. Because the numbers don't match up as it expects, heuristics will probably combine them wrong, into an unexpected and incorrect lane set. That's just how it works.

I would recommend just deleting the lanes going onto that little driveway because it's just a driveway.

(aside: you might wanna reevaluate what's going on at this node)
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
GerardterBeke wrote:Waze changes lots of things all the time. Why would that be a deterrent?

I'm asking the scriptwriter if this can be implemented, and if he would see this as an added value.
We are telling you that even if it _can_ be implemented, it _shouldn't_, because this feature has not even been fully released yet and is subject to change at a moment's notice.

We are doing edits to the map that may last for many years without ever being touched again. The lane alert distances could change next week for all we know. It's just not something that any of us should rely on when editing, at the very least not yet.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Bless you. :mrgreen:
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
jonv-uk wrote:When Auto Expand Edit Lanes is enabled, and you highlight a segment, it places the cursor in the first Number of Lanes box. This stops keyboard shortcuts working.
I highly recommend only using that setting when you are actively editing lanes.

This focus is preferred behavior when you are actually editing lanes. I can add lanes to a segment without even touching the mouse because of that feature (by typing the number, then pressing tab and spacebar in a certain pattern).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I would personally recommend becoming familiar with the keyboard, a combination of tab and spacebar can shave some time off it.

For example, if you have a road with 4 lanes like [ left | straight | straight | straight or right ], you can click inside the number of lanes box (to the right of the zero, lest you end up with 40 lanes) and press the following sequence of keys:

4 tab space tab tab tab tab tab space tab space tab space tab tab tab tab space tab space

This will enter a 4 into the number of lanes box, check the first box for the left turn, skip the next 3 and the first box on the straight "turn", check the next 3 boxes on the straight "turn", skip the first 3 on the right, check the last box on the right, and apply.

It's fun!
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Ah, I see. Now that I've tried it, I see the big red highlight, which is not the same as the li'l red tick marks. My bad.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Thanks for the update. The red highlight seems to be erroneous sometimes, compare the 2 lanes-having segments in this PL for example. I'm seeing one red one blue although they're identical. Maybe something to do with A-B vs. B-A direction?

https://beta.waze.com/en-US/editor/?env ... 112&zoom=4
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message