Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Road closures on CarPlay

Post by djdanny1520
Is it possible to add the road closures report button to the CarPlay version
djdanny1520

POSTER_ID:17963387

Send a message
Attachments

Post by AdrianGardener
Recently had some road closures on route while using Waze via CarPlay. We need away to keep us moving!

back in the tomtom days it was simple, tap road ahead closed, tap a number of miles, job done…

while this not perfect it allows you to keep moving without being routed back to the point it was closed.
AdrianGardener
Send a message

Post by DaveJFT
This is exactly what I came onto the forum to request for Android Auto, so I see Carplay doesn't have the feature either.

What we need is a quick access button to tell Waze we can't follow the route immediately ahead and we need a quick reroute around the obstruction. TomTom (and probably others too) has had this feature for many years. Whether it gets uploaded to the servers is of less relevance.
DaveJFT
Send a message

Post by djdanny1520
It would make more sense to have road closures on the menu then the map issues.

I have had numerous road closures and have had to stop, turn the stereo off, so that I can get the report menu up on my phone, to add the closure. To then allow it to reroute so I can carry on.
djdanny1520
Send a message

Post by Hugo_Moreira
Hi djdanny1520,

The possibilities within CarPlay are limited by Apple.
The evolution should be to have less interactions with the screen. Adding a closure report button would require even more sub-options and corresponding distraction to the driver, so you shouldn't expect it to be added.

Best
Hugo_Moreira
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Hugo_Moreira
The road closures placed in the App don’t always go live to other users. You need several users reporting the same or a high rank user.
So, even taking a bit longer, it’s more reliable to use the map problem, and expect a action by a editor with closure privileges
Hugo_Moreira
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Mvan231
djdanny1520 wrote:It would make more sense to have road closures on the menu then the map issues.

I have had numerous road closures and have had to stop, turn the stereo off, so that I can get the report menu up on my phone, to add the closure. To then allow it to reroute so I can carry on.
You could also submit a map issue for the closure, but I agree it would make sense to have it in CarPlay
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor
Wazeopedia :lol: | Engineer :geek: | iOS user :)

https://s.waze.tools/c3.png

Post by Sidc3000
The “to distracting” argument is illogical. What you’re saying is it is less distracting to use your phone, with a small screen to document road closures than it is to a much larger screen using CarPlay. 
Sidc3000
Send a message

Post by SkiDooGuy
Submitting a closure in CP would be very difficult as they would need to include the mechanism to select the relevant segment and/or turn. Not only could this fall under some laws against distracted driving, but depending on the screen size and OS would require quite dynamic programming.

That said - feel free to upvote the suggestion on Waze's Uservoice.
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 1
Send a message
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor

https://i.ibb.co/ZNbYyt5/RIPIain.png