Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Northern Ireland Area

Post by gibbyni
Anyone else in from Northern Ireland?

I'm new and have been looking at the map and apart from the motorways there is very little there. Im going to do my best to help out but there is a lot to do so any help would be appreciated. I did a bit of driving around today (Son likes to have a sleep in the car so good time to do it) and am waiting on my route to be loaded up. Once its there I will try out the editing section as well. Hopefully I don't mess anything up. I'm mainly in the Antrim area.

Thanks
gibbyni

POSTER_ID:191015

Send a message

Post by davidg666
[this seems to be a very old thread that has been revived, but I'll respond to the question anyway. Perhaps this belongs in the UK forum though...]
nisherm wrote:if you are from the North and travel to the South do you not get large mobile phone bills for data usage of the GPS?

Is there a way you cant be charged by mobile networks?
Short answer: yes, once you cross the border and start roaming on a network on the other side, they'll charge you hefty roaming rates, however:
nisherm wrote:I got charged £20 for driving around Portstewart (says I was in Eire thats data usage for you) by my mobile company o2.
I dislike O2 (for all sorts of reasons) but switched to Three last year. Although I haven't tried it, they have this "Three at home" thingy whereby you got charged the same rates you would on your home network when you're roaming in another country if Three also operate in that country *and* you're roaming on Three.

Otherwise, I imagine this is a common problem anywhere there's a land border and different mobile operators on either side of the border. It'd be nice to be able to move in and out of adjacent jurisdictions and roam freely without the risk of large bills!

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by dmeehan
I'm in Co. Kerry and there is even less on the waze map here. When I started there was nothing, no roads or towns at all. I have added a few and began editing the tracks I have made by adding names and road classifications etc.

There seems to be a few wazers around Dublin too and then there is us too at opposite ends of the island - not much chance of us joining the dots :-)
dmeehan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by gibby71
Another Gibby :) welcome!
gibby71
Send a message
Area Manager: Mchenry, Lake, and Cook County Illinois
Phone: iPhone

Post by gibbyni
Thanks for the welcome fellow Gibby, looking forward to doing my part
gibbyni
Send a message

Post by gibbyni
A trip from Belfast to Dublin could well rack up some points as from the M1 in the North till just above Dublin has nothing at all.
gibbyni
Send a message

Post by nisherm
if you are from the North and travel to the South do you not get large mobile phone bills for data usage of the GPS?

Is there a way you cant be charged by mobile networks?

I got charged £20 for driving around Portstewart (says I was in Eire thats data usage for you) by my mobile company o2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
nisherm
Send a message

Post by Timbones
Edit: failed to move this to UK forum :/
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by zzyzxuk
gibbyni wrote:Once its there I will try out the editing section as well. Hopefully I don't mess anything up.
When there's no map to begin with in your area, you really shouldn't worry about messing things up, but if you want to feel really safe, start editing your own segments - create some, delete some, change their geometry, etc., before trying to edit other segments... but there's not really much damage you can do at this point, so dive right in! :)
zzyzxuk
Send a message

Post by zzyzxuk
dmeehan wrote: There seems to be a few wazers around Dublin too and then there is us too at opposite ends of the island - not much chance of us joining the dots :-)
ROAD TRIP! 8-)
zzyzxuk
Send a message