Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by jakudo
that sounds logical. But I would swear that it wasn't that way in previous version...
Thanks for explanation :)
jakudo
Send a message

Post by jakudo
Exactly. I'm almost sure it's problem of the last version. I'm using waze for more than a year and it warm the iPhone that much just in last few weeks (maybe months). They must have changed something, that make it that warm...
jakudo
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Vertigo50 wrote:You are right about this being fairly recent. I used to use Waze quite a while back, and I never had this problem.
jakudo wrote:Exactly. I'm almost sure it's problem of the last version. I'm using waze for more than a year and it warm the iPhone that much just in last few weeks (maybe months). They must have changed something, that make it that warm...
I have always noticed the very high temperature from using Waze in the car, but I have not seen any additional increase since this last update on my side.
gettingthere wrote:The device can get rather hot. The more functions that you are using, the warmer it gets.

* Screen
* GPS
* Cellular Modem
* Bluetooth
* Charging device

I notice that it's worse when using Waze and charging from a low battery state. I have a dash mount and aim one of my AC vents directly towards my phone to help keep it cool. I have never had a case where my iPhone 4 has shut down due to excessive heat. The iPhone has a built in sensor that will power off your iPhone, due to heat, before damage occurs. So your device feeling hot is not necessarily causing any problems.
Yes this application is using every possible element of power and if you are also charging it at the same time there is a very large energy transfer which is converting to heat. Like gettingthere, I decided to use a vent mount in my car from Proclips and it works very well and helps keep it cool.

I find Waze so useful that I would even dedicate my iPhone to be my GPS in the car.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
gettingthere wrote:The iPhone 4S should not be used in an environment where the temperature is higher than 95 degrees F. If you car (or anywhere else) is hotter than that and you are running your iPhone you are operating it out of specifications.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html
I guess Apple does not care to have phones work properly in the central US. :lol:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Attachments

Post by kentsmith9
If you search the web you will find thousands of users taking about iPhone getting too hot for their tastes. The heat comes from electrical transfer. When you consume and charge simultaneously, that will increase the total energy and the resulting heat. Waze is not causing the phone to heat up, but the many activities you have Waze performing will consume a lot of energy and the result is a hot phone. It may sound like Waze is causing it to heat up, but anything doing all that Waze is doing will cause the same result.

Check out this particular link for information about how to reduce some of the other power consuming elements in the iPhone to further reduce the total power consumed and therefore lower the heat generated http://zen-arch.blogspot.com/2011/05/wh ... y-hot.html

Also consider if you turn on every feature shown on the Waze map, you are adding data transfer activity and increased resulting heat. Consider turning off some of these features if the other steps in the above link don't help. You say your other GPS application did not get this hot, but I don't believe any other GPS application transfers anywhere near the total amount of data that we see in Waze. If you want all the extra information available in Waze, then consider other options to keep the phone cooler. Many of us use cell phone mounts that attach to the car's air vents to keep more air flow on the case.

I hope you find a solution that works for you and you can still get all the extra benefits from the value-added data you get with Waze.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by leocylau
I used nokia and now using samsung galaxy. Both of them have the same problem, warm but not hot.
Also it drains the battery really fast. Waze should improve it :oops:
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator

Post by NeoSelcev
Hello,

Me and my wife are using iPhone 4. We are active waze users for a long time (using it at least twice a day for about an hour each time). Both of us, are using the internet radio while driving and sometimes making some calls.

Our iPhone never got too hot. Not even in my antique car without the air conditioner. Not even while charging the whole time.

Recently I got my iPhone overheated (it was hurting to touch it). For more then a month, I was forced use waze only before I was heading to my destination and to shut it down while I was driving (sometimes stopping by to check the road ahead and then shutting down the app again).

I thought that it is the summer heat that doing causing the problem. But My wife's iPhone is getting too hot as well (ans she loves to keeps her car at 18-20 Celsius while driving, and her iPhone is not at the sun).

Both iPhones were recently "reupdated" (7.1.2 is the last iOS for the iPhone 4) to the last iOS version, not jailbroken and not running any other apps, besides the radio and the phone itself. Both of them has new batteries.

The overheating problem occurs for a several months for now...

Does somebody facing the same problem?
Is there is any solution?
NeoSelcev
Send a message

Post by obsolete29
Well unless you live in Australia, it's just now gotten to summer. :P
obsolete29
Send a message
Area Manager : Tennessee, US
Wiki: Waze FAQ| Map Editing | Map Editing Best Practices
twitter: obsolete29

Post by OldGnome
I just starting using Waze a couple of weeks ago. I have two Garmins that we have used for over 3 1/2 years. Compared to my iPhone 4S (yes, it does get hot when I am using Waze), the Garmin would really heat up and even shut itself down a few times due to the heat. That was an almost-dedicated device (I used to play MP3s through it, too), getting so hot it shut down. I live in Florida and spend a lot of time in my car.

I am normally running Waze, MyTunes Pro and recharging at the same time. My iPhone gets hot, but that activity is a lot of processing. Don't forget that until we had iPads and smartphones, our computers all came with cooling fans constantly blowing air over the processors.

My experience with Waze doesn't seem to go back far enough for me to have used it with multiple versions yet. However, I was not surprised at my iPhone heating up because of my experience with the Garmin.

Love the app.

I have a couple of road trips coming up and I will try running Waze without the cover, to see if that helps the thermal issue.
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by orbitc
Use airdock iphone holder, turn on your AC, it will be cool.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!