Forum for requesting any unlocks, closures or fixes by a higher rank editor.
Please read "Posting Guidelines" before submitting your request.

Level1(auto) Update: Kwun Tong 觀塘 (Hip Wo St 協和街)

Post by tsemanhei
My Level: 2
Reason for request: LG update

tsemanhei

POSTER_ID:16984711

Send a message

Post by chengkeith
We already have visual hint for "use left lane to go straight", but just not spoken vocally.

Should we force it as an explicit continue straight instruction here?

We have a lot of similar junctions in HK (total two lanes, but 50% of the lanes (one lane) cannot go straight). I am open to either implementation but we'd better set a standard and then be consistent all over the map in HK.
chengkeith
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 11
Send a message

Post by chengkeith
tsemanhei wrote:I guess we should cater for both visual and vocal users, if the instruction is available in visual why shouldn't it be available in both?
I agree with you. There are some subtle difference between "just visual" override, and "visual+audio" override.

For the "just visual" one, it wasn't a real "action" instruction, so if user is far away from this junction, say 2km away, it won't show the LG, so the user can still see the next instruction after this LG (let's say in 3km turn left to xxxx). The LG will only show up when countdown is <450m before the junction.

but for "visual+audio" override, it basically makes it an "action" at this junction, so when user is far away (>450m before junction), it will appear as "⬆️ Hip Wo St 協和街", then when countdown is <450m, LG will show up. In other words, the "visual+audio" override will hide the next action instruction from the user until user is pass this junction. If we have too many this kind of "visual+audio" override along a straight line, the real "action" will be hidden along the way, and may only appear to the user maybe one street before the user reach it.
chengkeith
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by chengkeith
tsemanhei wrote:
chengkeith wrote:
tsemanhei wrote:I guess we should cater for both visual and vocal users, if the instruction is available in visual why shouldn't it be available in both?
I agree with you. There are some subtle difference between "just visual" override, and "visual+audio" override.

For the "just visual" one, it wasn't a real "action" instruction, so if user is far away from this junction, say 2km away, it won't show the LG, so the user can still see the next instruction after this LG (let's say in 3km turn left to xxxx). The LG will only show up when countdown is <450m before the junction.

but for "visual+audio" override, it basically makes it an "action" at this junction, so when user is far away (>450m before junction), it will appear as "⬆️ Hip Wo St 協和街", then when countdown is <450m, LG will show up. In other words, the "visual+audio" override will hide the next action instruction from the user until user is pass this junction. If we have too many this kind of "visual+audio" override along a straight line, the real "action" will be hidden along the way, and may only appear to the user maybe one street before the user reach it.

I guess this is similar to the Google Map app behaviour.
You mean the "just visual" one or the "visual+audio" one is similar to Google Maps? I haven't used Google Maps for navigation for a long time :lol:
chengkeith
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by chengkeith
tsemanhei wrote:I believe Google Map will show each junction with both visual + audio.

At least this is how the step by step works.
Even continue straight junctions? :?
chengkeith
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by tsemanhei
I guess we should cater for both visual and vocal users, if the instruction is available in visual why shouldn't it be available in both?
tsemanhei
Send a message

Post by tsemanhei
chengkeith wrote:

I guess this is similar to the Google Map app behaviour.
tsemanhei
Send a message

Post by tsemanhei
I believe Google Map will show each junction with both visual + audio.

At least this is how the step by step works.
tsemanhei
Send a message

Post by tsemanhei
https://goo.gl/maps/1MyHJQqJ4huSkXXb7

Seems only show for turns and exit, not show for continue straight.

Not sure if the visual will display differently.
tsemanhei
Send a message