These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Unable to silence Speed Camera warnings

Post by
I listen to audiobooks and podcasts on my commute, so I don't want Waze to make any noise. I have mute set to ON, which turns off all the turn by turn speech, but it doesn't silence the speed camera alerts. I had previously set 'Prompts Volume' to zero in the sound settings screen, which worked, but since the last update things have gone badly wrong.

I noticed on my drive to work this morning - and I use the M6 past Birmingham which is littered with a crazy number of speed traps - that Waze was literally telling me about speed cameras every three seconds. Annoying, to say the least. I checked my settings and 'prompts volume' was still on zero. I fiddled with the volume control and managed to set it back to zero again. However this didn't entirely solve the problem, as Waze was still muting my audio when it would have played it's speed trap warning.

On my way home today I fired up Waze again and immediately noticed that the prompts volume, whilst still set to zero, was again being ignored and I was being told about speed cameras every few seconds.

In the end I task killed Waze just so I could listen to a book in peace.

POSTER_ID:6061821

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Pop-up alerts and their associated audio cannot be stopped or silenced at this time. It is on the roadmap to give us these settings in the app in a future version.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
BrakTalk wrote:
TonyG-UK wrote:Delete the sound files from your phone.
Not an option.
That's the option you choose. It's technically possible.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
BrakTalk wrote:This thread is simply asking for a feature/enhancement, not suggestions to void a warranty or potentially brick their device.
True, I totally agree that this feature should be available. But until it is, there are options that do not involve the possibility of warranty-voiding or bricking. You don't even have to jailbreak, and a few companies have software available to download to try out and/or purchase, so don't think this is such a big deal. Lots of us edit files on the iPhone to do fun things like use custom color schemes within Waze.

(None of the apps are in the App Store, btw, 'cause Apple doesn't like that this is possible. And easy.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
JulesTohpipi wrote:
kotatsu wrote:I listen to audiobooks and podcasts on my commute, so I don't want Waze to make any noise. I have mute set to ON, which turns off all the turn by turn speech, but it doesn't silence the speed camera alerts. I had previously set 'Prompts Volume' to zero in the sound settings screen, which worked, but since the last update things have gone badly wrong.

I noticed on my drive to work this morning - and I use the M6 past Birmingham which is littered with a crazy number of speed traps - that Waze was literally telling me about speed cameras every three seconds. Annoying, to say the least. I checked my settings and 'prompts volume' was still on zero. I fiddled with the volume control and managed to set it back to zero again. However this didn't entirely solve the problem, as Waze was still muting my audio when it would have played it's speed trap warning.

On my way home today I fired up Waze again and immediately noticed that the prompts volume, whilst still set to zero, was again being ignored and I was being told about speed cameras every few seconds.

In the end I task killed Waze just so I could listen to a book in peace.
I'm in exactly the same situation. It's driving me up the wall.

Part of my commute involves a 30-mile section along the M1 where there's speed cameras nearly every 200 yards. It interrupts my Bluetooth music listening incessantly.

Free app or not, it's utter madness that I'm forced to choose between Waze and ditching the other Bluetooth features of my not inexpensive car. Good job then that Waze carries some equity with me otherwise I'd have been off a long time ago.

If TomTom was like this then we'd all be laughing our heads off - right?
1) Are there actually that many speed cameras there? If not, some (or all) of them should be removed. Try editing or contact your local AMs/CMs...

2) You can also turn off the warnings in the app.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
JulesTohpipi wrote:
AndyPoms wrote: 1) Are there actually that many speed cameras there? If not, some (or all) of them should be removed. Try editing or contact your local AMs/CMs...

2) You can also turn off the warnings in the app.
The top section has roadworks, and the bottom section is traffic managed with variable speed limits and hard-shoulder running - so yes, there's lots of cameras and gantries all along the motorway. It's one of the busiest commuting routes into London and is heavily policed.
Are they actual speed cameras or traffic monitoring/London Police cameras that just monitor things & can't issue tickets?
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by bhans
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Pop-up alerts and their associated audio cannot be stopped or silenced at this time. It is on the roadmap to give us these settings in the app in a future version.
Just checking on the status of this enhancement. There have been several updates since the quote above was posted and still no improvement.

I also listen to podcasts and audiobooks via Bluetooth while using the Waze app and would like to turn off all audio alerts for everything. I have muted and disabled all options but the warnings still sound over audiobooks and podcasts.
bhans
Send a message

Post by BrakTalk
This is a deal breaker for me as well. I listen to podcasts on my commute and nothing is more annoying than:

"Car stopped on shoulder ahead..."

You would think "mute" means "mute".
BrakTalk
Send a message

Post by BrakTalk
TonyG-UK wrote:Delete the sound files from your phone.
Not an option.
BrakTalk
Send a message

Post by BrakTalk
volume control for iphone

The voice navigation is extremely loud... definitely need the ability to balance it with my music.

Please vote here.
BrakTalk
Send a message

Post by BrakTalk
Although the UserVoice item speaks to "voice navigation", it's my hope that all audio prompts are addressed.
BrakTalk
Send a message