Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Unable to silence Speed Camera warnings

Post by kotatsu
I listen to audiobooks and podcasts on my commute, so I don't want Waze to make any noise. I have mute set to ON, which turns off all the turn by turn speech, but it doesn't silence the speed camera alerts. I had previously set 'Prompts Volume' to zero in the sound settings screen, which worked, but since the last update things have gone badly wrong.

I noticed on my drive to work this morning - and I use the M6 past Birmingham which is littered with a crazy number of speed traps - that Waze was literally telling me about speed cameras every three seconds. Annoying, to say the least. I checked my settings and 'prompts volume' was still on zero. I fiddled with the volume control and managed to set it back to zero again. However this didn't entirely solve the problem, as Waze was still muting my audio when it would have played it's speed trap warning.

On my way home today I fired up Waze again and immediately noticed that the prompts volume, whilst still set to zero, was again being ignored and I was being told about speed cameras every few seconds.

In the end I task killed Waze just so I could listen to a book in peace.
kotatsu

POSTER_ID:6061821

Send a message

Post by BrakTalk
It's also an option to configure my truck with a large container of fuel in the bed and splice a line into the fuel system so that I could increase the travel range between gas fill-ups but it's not all that practical.

Are we really going to have THAT conversation? This thread is simply asking for a feature/enhancement, not suggestions to void a warranty or potentially brick their device.

Let's keep the ball in the field of play if you don't mind.
BrakTalk
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AndyPoms wrote:2) You can also turn off the warnings in the app.
How? I thought the conclusion of this thread was that you could not without resorting to workarounds such as the aforementioned action of deleting the sound files from your phone.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by crazycaveman
Have you tried deleting the data for the app or uninstalling and reinstalling (also deleting the waze folder if you're on Android)? Might be a preferences issue. Also, don't know if this will work or not, but why not disable cameras from being shown on the map altogether (can do it in settings)?
crazycaveman
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Start a trend. Stop reporting car stopped on shoulder (unless the car stopped us a major hazard such as protruding into the main lanes) and maybe your fellow Wazers will stop reporting these useless 'hazards' also.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by JulesTohpipi
kotatsu wrote:I listen to audiobooks and podcasts on my commute, so I don't want Waze to make any noise. I have mute set to ON, which turns off all the turn by turn speech, but it doesn't silence the speed camera alerts. I had previously set 'Prompts Volume' to zero in the sound settings screen, which worked, but since the last update things have gone badly wrong.

I noticed on my drive to work this morning - and I use the M6 past Birmingham which is littered with a crazy number of speed traps - that Waze was literally telling me about speed cameras every three seconds. Annoying, to say the least. I checked my settings and 'prompts volume' was still on zero. I fiddled with the volume control and managed to set it back to zero again. However this didn't entirely solve the problem, as Waze was still muting my audio when it would have played it's speed trap warning.

On my way home today I fired up Waze again and immediately noticed that the prompts volume, whilst still set to zero, was again being ignored and I was being told about speed cameras every few seconds.

I'm in exactly the same situation. It's driving me up the wall.

Part of my commute involves a 30-mile section along the M1 where there's speed cameras nearly every 200 yards. It interrupts my Bluetooth music listening incessantly.

Free app or not, it's utter madness that I'm forced to choose between Waze and ditching the other Bluetooth features of my not inexpensive car. Good job then that Waze carries some equity with me otherwise I'd have been off a long time ago.

If TomTom was like this then we'd all be laughing our heads off - right?
JulesTohpipi
Send a message

Post by JulesTohpipi
AndyPoms wrote: 1) Are there actually that many speed cameras there? If not, some (or all) of them should be removed. Try editing or contact your local AMs/CMs...

2) You can also turn off the warnings in the app.
The top section has roadworks, and the bottom section is traffic managed with variable speed limits and hard-shoulder running - so yes, there's lots of cameras and gantries all along the motorway. It's one of the busiest commuting routes into London and is heavily policed.

Being that busy a road, then I see lots of Wazers on my screen in the morning and evenings. All of whom must be suffering like me along that 30-mile section. Of course, many I guess don't make it to these forums to feedback. Either that or they give up pretty quickly, and I'm just seeing a high churn rate of people joining/leaving.

I wish this could all be sorted out.

I really like Waze but this problem causes me to scream at it at the very top of my voice sometimes. Especially when I'm listening to Internet radio on my iPhone and miss something important because of these wretched alerts that, for some mind-boggling reason, cannot be turned off and come in three or four a minute.
JulesTohpipi
Send a message

Post by JulesTohpipi
AndyPoms wrote:
JulesTohpipi wrote:
AndyPoms wrote: 1) Are there actually that many speed cameras there? If not, some (or all) of them should be removed. Try editing or contact your local AMs/CMs...

The top section has roadworks, and the bottom section is traffic managed with variable speed limits and hard-shoulder running - so yes, there's lots of cameras and gantries all along the motorway. It's one of the busiest commuting routes into London and is heavily policed.
Are they actual speed cameras or traffic monitoring/London Police cameras that just monitor things & can't issue tickets?
Oh my word...

As you are very, very far away then let me reassure you that,yes, they are actually speed cameras, I'm not going mad, they aren't illusions and, for the record, they are real. It's the M1. The main route into London and traffic managed. This means there are gantries every couple of hundred yards imposing variable speed limits according to prevailing road conditions and traffic flows. Go too fast and you get flashed. In the roadworks section there's average speed cameras everywhere. Satisfied now?

As you were wondering, yes, there's stacks of monitoring camera stuff aswell. But fortunately as my fellow Wazers are able - just like me - to tell a speed camera from a monitoring camera, then they aren't marked on the map and so don't thankfully trigger annoying alerts that cannot be turned off - that render near useless the entire Bluetooth system of my... brand... new... car.

And breathe...

BTW, enlighten me as to how you turn these speed camera alerts off in the app - as you mentioned above?
JulesTohpipi
Send a message

Post by kotatsu
I guess someone must have gone on a spree adding speed traps to my route then, as it was never this bad before.

No Waze for me until this gets fixed, as the noise was driving me nuts.
kotatsu
Send a message

Post by kotatsu
AndyPoms wrote:
JulesTohpipi wrote:
kotatsu wrote:I listen to audiobooks and podcasts on my commute, so I don't want Waze to make any noise. I have mute set to ON, which turns off all the turn by turn speech, but it doesn't silence the speed camera alerts. I had previously set 'Prompts Volume' to zero in the sound settings screen, which worked, but since the last update things have gone badly wrong.

I'm in exactly the same situation. It's driving me up the wall.

Part of my commute involves a 30-mile section along the M1 where there's speed cameras nearly every 200 yards. It interrupts my Bluetooth music listening incessantly.

Free app or not, it's utter madness that I'm forced to choose between Waze and ditching the other Bluetooth features of my not inexpensive car. Good job then that Waze carries some equity with me otherwise I'd have been off a long time ago.

If TomTom was like this then we'd all be laughing our heads off - right?
1) Are there actually that many speed cameras there? If not, some (or all) of them should be removed. Try editing or contact your local AMs/CMs...

Even if you turn warnings off, the audio warnings still sound.

If you turn all navigation and other Waze sound to zero, then it silences the warnings, but only until the next time you run waze.

It's a bit of a mess to be honest.
kotatsu
Send a message