Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by sketch
qwaletee wrote:GasBuddy used to be positively fascist about reporting only credit prices. I think so many people complained, that they decided to make the policy "prefer reports of cash price unless not offered."
They now support cash/credit pricing, so I guess it's moot.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by tonestertm
jondrush wrote:It is absolutely related to stop point. I've tested it on stations that didn't update when I was in the station. I got on WME and move the stop point and was instantly able to update the prices.
In that case, I'd humbly submit that it has more to do with touching the stop point than its location. I have, since long before Places, and ever since, regularly gotten Price Update-ability from over a tenth of a mile away at several locations I occasionally update prices on. Couldn't say for sure whether this was before touching the stop point or not, but a move of about 20-30 feet couldn't possibly change the usable range over that distance. I'll have to see if there are any around I can test on.
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by tonestertm
PhantomSoul wrote:In New Jersey (at least) gas vendors have been given the option of charging a higher price for credit-card-based purchases, for a variety of reasons.
I don't think this practice is peculiar to New Jersey; California, and other states do it, too.
The old guidance for the app used to say, because the update info coming from the Third Party Provider was the credit prices, that credit prices only, should be entered. I haven't actually looked to see what it says recently.

However, because no one ever Reads The Manual, and Third Party updates have now largely disappeared (think there was an announcement?), plus the existence of Cash only stations, and the fact that the most prominently displayed numbers at any station are the cash numbers, if yer payin' by credit, ya just gotta figure that in. :o :)
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!

Post by txemt
What about those which are in between 3 major roads? Where does the address point go? Or those between n/s bound lanes or e/w bound lanes? I'm not at the computer now, but I can provide examples of all 3 of these.
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by voludu2
Thanks for your work on a new page for gas station creators. This represents a change in how gas station/convenience stores are currently mapped out (at the moment, the entire Wawa parking lot is typically included in the area place), so I think it would be useful to put your article on the wiki right away, and make sure that those reading the current article on gas station can get to the new information on the best way to map a gas station.

I have two recent user reports in PA from users who are unable to find any nearby gas stations, even when they are in the gas station parking lot.

Is this possibly related to any features of how gas stations are mapped, or should interested readers be redirected to some other part of the wiki for information on why they cannot find any gas stations using the gas station feature of the waze app?
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
So if there is a convenience store in that parking lot, should "entire parking lot" also include the convenience store?

And is there any reason why someone sitting in a gas station parking lot cannot find any nearby gas stations when using the gas station feature?
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
OK. I misunderstood your initial post, on account of being a newbie. I think the concept of "suppress reports" is what I was tripping over. You don't want waze to think they are doing 0 miles per hour on some nearby road while they are pumping gas, using the restroom, or waiting for their shortie hoagie.
I would suggest a little rewording around "suppress" for that reason. I made explicit that the convenience store, car wash, etc, are to be included if they are part of the same business. I think that should help. And I think it is worth getting at least this first paragraph up there even before you are certain of the rest of it.
-Gas station places should be drawn to the fenceline / curbline and should include all parking lots, convenience store buildings, car washes, etc, that are a part of the same business. Reasoning: Most stations are small, stretching them to the limits should make them more visible on the client. Also Gas station areas are supposed to suppress some forms of automated reports. By covering the whole area we suppress reports of people who park away from the pumps and get coffee with Waze running, in addition to those who just pump gas.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I don't think the gas prices feature is that obvious or easy to use.
I really like the idea of "find gas prices along my route", but don't wind up using it much myself...
voludu2
Send a message