Post by citeman
Iain,

While we never met; I have been grateful for your many contributions to Waze.

May the rest of your journey be blessed with no reports of pot holes, vehicles on the shoulder, or fog ahead; and I hope all your travels are Waze wins...

Thank you again, for everything you have done,

CITEMAN

PS- Did the Waze CEO just announce that in your honor, there will be Waze swag Hawaiian shirts...  :D  
nayparks wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:44 pm PS- It sounds like whenever and wherever in the world our next Global Champs meetup is, we should definitely all be wearing a Hawaiian shirt to welcome you back to the room with us! I look forward to it.
citeman
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
- CITEMAN
Remember to keep Wazing!

https://s.waze.tools/c5s.png https://j.mp/3aCaEGq https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... -01sml.png
Closure & Restrictions Fanatic

Post by delilush
Iain,

I am so sorry to hear the news of your illness.

You have affected the Waze Community in so many countless ways and I doubt that I can do your contributions any justice here and in writing. So instead I want to tell you a story.

I joined Waze in September 2016, when you posted what we call internally Iain's post (though I know you prefer you call it a rant). I was still onboarding, learning tons from my team members and my communities and mainly trying to figure out how I can get more involved in WME development.

Saying that your post struck a chord with me would be a huge understatement. I felt like I learned some fundamental truths about Waze that have been guiding how I communicate and encourage everyone on the team to communicate with their communities as well.

I learned from you how loved Waze really is by its community members. You had become very disillusioned with Waze at that point and unsuccessfully tried to keep your distance. However, when you really care about something, you just can't sit still when things don't work the way you know they could and should. You decided to speak up. It was so clear from your post, that everything you said, regardless of how uncomfortable it was for us to read, was said out of love for Waze and its community. I've learned this lesson from so many community members since. Your love for Waze goes way above the contributions you are making to the map. I'm so thankful for that.

I learned from you that communication must always come first. Even when we don't have an answer to a community question ready to go or something has been deprioritised that I know the communities would really like to see Waze do, the least I can commit to is to communicate with you. (And then always make sure staff internally is aware of what we need to improve.)

I learned that when we keep open communication channels, are transparent with each other and involve the community the sky is the limit. Of course I didn't learn this directly from your post, I learned this later at the Europe meet up in 2017 when we discussed your post. At that point it had become my mission to ensure communication around WME releases and scripts run more smoothly and I was so happy to hear it was making a difference.

I learned from you how important scripts are to the map editor. You started teaching me in this post and still until this day I'm learning.

I know there is always room for improvement, but I think we've come a long way since November 2016. And I guess what I really am saying with my post is that we have you to thank for that - You triggered a lot of change by speaking up honestly, clearly about issues you had experienced on your own and spoke up for so many others as well. I know that I speak on behalf of Waze HQ when I say that the legacy you are leaving behind at Waze has made a difference and will continue to make a difference in the future.

It has been such a pleasure meeting you on European & Global Champs Meet ups. I fondly remember our conversations and discussions around Waze, WME & scripts (and more often than not points and weekly scoreboard updates).

Remember, your Waze family is always here for you. May the journey you have ahead of you be filled with love and peace.

delilush
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by drgrabowski
Hi Iain,

I feel like I am still new to this Waze map editing thing, but I've learned, and continue to learn, from Champs like you. Thanks for all of the contributions you've made to this community. While you may think you haven't done much for this world, your edits helped a worried parent find the quickest route to their child's school, that person who is always running late actually make it to that important interview on-time, and perhaps that retiree who is widowed find their way to a new cafe to meet friends. I know we're often caught up in URs and routing people from point A to point B, but in reality, it Is so much more than that. As a follower of Jesus, I know that anytime we see light during dark times, it's His light shining through to guide us. Is there still a freight train? Sure! Life isn't easy, but it's how and who we choose to walk through those tough times. We pray for healing, but also for peace and comfort.

At the risk of a Dad joke here, thanks for paving the way for the rest of us. We'll take it from here, rest easy.

May the Lord bless you and keep you; make His face shine on you and be gracious to you; turn His face word you and give you peace.

drgrabowski
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by dude463
We've lost a legend. Rest in peace.
dude463
Send a message
First I learned how to draw lines on a map. Now I must learn the art of Feng-ShWaze.

Post by elazarik
Hello Iain

Karin from the Android team

Thank you, for all your care and work and love

I wish and hope that your next journey will be as filled with meaning, impact and appreciation as this one had been

Again, a deeply heartfelt Thank You
Karin

elazarik
Send a message

Post by GerardterBeke
Hi Iain,

I remember walking into the Prague meeting in 2019 as a newbie. Greeted by a sea of faces I never met before and couldn't hope to remember all. That is, until I saw you. So I asked Dengkao: "who is that?" "That's Iain House".

That gave me hope. There was at least one person I could remember the name of for sure. Turns out there were many more I could remember, but it started with you.

Years later I asked you to help me and mewsa when we tried to develop our little script. And you did. Your unique input and view on things is what helped shape it to what it is. Thank you.

I'm glad I've met you. Glad to have witnessed what your presence did to a room full of people. When you talk, people listen. Your eloquence, humor and sharp insights (or maybe not that sharp, but to me they were) has made you a person who will be missed at future meetings. Thank you.

I hope your last stretch of time will be filled with fun, banter, good memories and laughter. And to the one running that train coming at you: FU.

GerardterBeke
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
Country Manager Oman & the Netherlands
WME Stroopwafel Staff

https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... Badge2.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/ZNbYyt5/RIPIain.png

Post by GFM_Danny
Requiescat in pace Iain
on behalf the Indonesian Editors Community,  our sincerest condolences to his family and  all Waze Community

GFM_Danny
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 5
Send a message

Telegram : t.me/GFM_Danny

Post by hila-beta
Dear Iain, 

My heart is broken since I heard about your situation a few days ago.

I feel lucky that I had the chance to meet you in person so many times and have gotten to know you over the past 8 years that I've been working at Waze. 
You are such an inspiring community leader and I learned a lot from your feedback throughout the years. Your input and contribution is always so honest and caring, clearly showing your passion for improving the lives of all those around you. 

You are a truly special person and I know that the entire community and Waze staff members feel the same. 

We are all thinking of you and wish you the very best. 

Sending you my positive thoughts and lots of LOVE,
Hila
hila-beta
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by Hugo_Moreira
Iain

Thank you for contributions to what Waze is today.

The famous 2016 post "Staff communication with community is broken", which I only read in 2020 for the first time, helped me understand the history of this community. Instead of complaining and whining on Waze's problems, as we would be expected from the so called  "Angry Champ", you knew how to present suggestions and solutions. All the fuzz generated, brought awareness and allowed changes: 
Editors, Programmers and Community Staff working side by side to improve WAZE. And, above all, communicating with each other. 

We remain alive in the memories we leave in those around us. And yes, You will be remembered for years to come.
Hugo_Moreira
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message