[Update] Turn Instructions

Post by subs5
Recommend updating the General Principles of the Turn Instruction page to clarify that the cardinal directions go in the directions field when adding Shields or naming the segment.

Current wording:General principles Turn instructions should match signage as closely as practicable within the limitations of the Waze interface, while still being sensible. 

Visually, the elements of the turn instruction should match the visual order of elements on the sign as closely as practicable.Compass directions should be spelled out using large-and-small-caps (Nᴏʀᴛʜ, Sᴏᴜᴛʜ, Eᴀꜱᴛ, Wᴇꜱᴛ) when they are used to represent a direction of travel.____________________________________________________________________________________________
Proposed wording change is in bold and underline:General principles Turn instructions should match signage as closely as practicable within the limitations of the Waze interface, while still being sensible. 

Visually, the elements of the turn instruction should match the visual order of elements on the sign as closely as practicable; note cardinal directions are placed after the Interstate/Highway/Route name for the segment wording and in the directions field on a shield even if the sign shows the direction prior to the Road's signage.  (See visual example in the Shields section below for North I-59).Compass directions should be spelled out using large-and-small-caps (Nᴏʀᴛʜ, Sᴏᴜᴛʜ, Eᴀꜱᴛ, Wᴇꜱᴛ) when they are used to represent a direction of travel.

subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3

POSTER_ID:16976950

Send a message

Post by subs5
No worries I did not think you DoD meant that.  Why we leave for comment and as a team we come up with better wording than any individual.   
   We’ll leave it open for the required time to see if anyone else is able to improve it prior to posting.  
 Have a great day. 
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
I think the "for neither a [[best continuation]] nor a [[Lanes#"View only" continue straight|"view only" continue]] set in the [[lanes]] interface."  is not correct.

I think you mean:

Turn instructions will only be displayed and heard where a turn instruction is given. Visual instructions will not be shown and TTS overrides will not be spoken, if either a [[best continuation]]  or [[none]] unless a [[Lanes#"View only"]] or [[Lanes#"View and hear" ]] is set in the [[lanes]] interface.

subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by sketch
I do not mean that. A “view only” will not show custom visual instructions or speak a TTS override.

You’re right though that “None” VPO should be included as an equivalent to best continuation. Good catch. 
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Turn instructions will only be displayed and heard where a voice prompt is given, either [[Junction_Style_Guide/Controlling_turn_instructions|natively]] or with a [[Voice_prompt|voice prompt]] override. Visual instructions will not be shown, and TTS overrides will not be spoken, for either a [[best continuation]] or a [[Lanes#"View only" continue straight|"view only" continue]] set in the [[lanes]] interface.
“Natively” because it’s not just about departure angles

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
I agree, and that’s not my intention, it just sounds like a facially meaningless sentence. 

Perhaps also include between those two sentences “Unless a voice prompt override is selected, adding custom visual and/or TTS instructions does not guarantee that a turn instruction will be given.”

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message