Parking at Buttermilk Falls

Post by NBRobb
We wanted to see Buttermilk Fall and read reviews that said that parking was available with little hiking required on Mountain Road in Sussex County. Due to traffic it took nearly two hours to get there coming from Wayne, NJ. Here are Waze directions near the end:

Tuttles Corners Dingman's Road to Walpack Road To Haneys Mill Road to Buttermilk Falls Parking.

The problem was that Haneys Mill Road is closed. People we met said it was closed last year. The parking space at Walpack Road and Haneys Mill Road is 1.7 miles from the falls which my 90 year-old husband could not handle.

When we got home I checked Google Maps. Their directions are shorter:

Turn left onto Struble Rd
2.4 mi

Continue onto Dimon Rd
1.5 mi

Turn right onto Tilman Rd
1.0 mi

Turn left onto Brook Rd
0.9 mi

Continue onto Mountain Rd

I have no way of knowing if these roads are open since I only discovered this route after returning home, but recent reviews about the falls suggest that they are open. Also, it would have been shorter even if Haneys Mill Road were open.

NBRobb

Post by NBRobb
No. The Buttermilk Falls I'm talking about is a few miles from the Walpack Inn. Some places call it Layton, NJ and others Walpack, NJ. It is in Sussex County.
NBRobb

Post by krzycholub
Thank you for updates - Mountain Road (and few roads in the area) seems to by unpaved so directions may not be perfect.

This place is not on waze map so all info was provided by 3-rd party.

I can see some comments / reviews on GM:
Just one example: "Pretty steep trail leading up with no handrails (mostly at the bottom part of a trail)"

krzycholub
State Manager
State Manager

Post by NBRobb
NJMedic2535 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:08 am Did you search by name or by address for the destination?

I searached by name "Buttermilk Falls Parking."
NBRobb

Post by NBRobb
krzycholub wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:10 am Thank you for updates - Mountain Road (and few roads in the area) seems to by unpaved so directions may not be perfect.

This place is not on waze map so all info was provided by 3-rd party.

I can see some comments / reviews on GM:
Just one example: "Pretty steep trail leading up with no handrails (mostly at the bottom part of a trail)"

I believe that that comment applies to hiking trails. I see now that there are comments on Google Maps that say that the road is closed. I had checked njhiking.com which says, "Buttermilk Falls is mere steps away from a parking lot and requires no hiking to see it, so this means the area can get crowded."

Thanks for all your help. If possible, Waze should be corrected.

NBRobb