Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Waze app not default anymore in Android 12

Post by rob_den_toom
I updated my Samsiung S21 Ultra to Android 12 yesterday. After that the default navigation app is set to Google Maps. I tried to figure out how to reset that to Waze but it doesn't seem to work. 
Before Android 12 is was jyst a matter of setting all apps to "not default" and a pop up appeared to ask you what you wanted to use. 
But now it seems that you have to set the Waze app as standard and make sure that links are opened with Waze. And there things go wrong. For some reason what ever I do the links do not stay set and disappear as soon as I close the window. So there is no way to set the app as default. 
Can anyone help me with this?

rob_den_toom

POSTER_ID:17397289

Send a message

Post by antigerme
rob_den_toom wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:48 am I just had a reply from Waze about my ticket and they came up with a standard reply make sure that I set Waze as default, in Android 9..... Very disappointing and annoying that they do not properly read my ticket. And by working like that it will take a long time for them to do something about it. 

Hi toom,

I'm a Pixel/Nexus lover (cellphone by Google) and I can set Maps or Waze as default.

I think that you set one as default and you don't remember how you can undo it.

Please, try to clear your default apps.

Could you share us a video?
antigerme
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
https://sites.google.com/a/felicio.com. ... brazil.png AM - Salvador/L. de Freitas
Looking for a job
Employer: "We need someone responsible for the job."
Candidate: "Sir your search ends here! In my previous job whenever something went wrong, everybody said I was responsible."
* não me responsabilizo por danos em sua vista

Post by Jwarner191
I have tried to get Waze to open when I click on a contact (as it used to do) but now only Gmaps will open. Any suggestions (besides
resetting my phone!)?

Jwarner191
Send a message

Post by proffa71
rob_den_toom wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:23 am Nobody? Not even te Waze developers?

Hi,

Waze staff does not read this forum, this in mainly used by users. I tried to search for something about this and about all I found was most likely your thread in Reddit. In there it was mentioned that support ticket was made to Waze which is good. I have no idea what might be the timetable for solving be in those but mine have always been solved in the end.

Solution might also be found when more users end up to use Android 12 but that might still take a long time. To put that in perspective: Android 11 passed Android 10 in market share on last month, 10/2021 so it tooks 13 months from it's launch date. 12 isn't even visible on charts yet...

proffa71
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Oletko jo käynyt Waze Finlandin Discordissa, rennompaa jutustelua ja muihin editoreihin tutustumista: https://discord.gg/GnqERGJUpB

https://i.ibb.co/X36kJbj/Banner1-M-Megamapper.png

Global Champ
Country Manager
Community, Partner, Localization and Mentoring Coordinator
First Responder
Beta WME & Android
Finland

Post by rob_den_toom
Nobody? Not even te Waze developers?
rob_den_toom
Send a message

Post by rob_den_toom
I just had a reply from Waze about my ticket and they came up with a standard reply make sure that I set Waze as default, in Android 9..... Very disappointing and annoying that they do not properly read my ticket. And by working like that it will take a long time for them to do something about it. 

rob_den_toom
Send a message

Post by rob_den_toom
As I said in the initial post the way so set a default app in Android 12 is to set the app to open specific links. But in the case of Waze, the selected links are unselected as soon as you move forward ( or go back) after selecting. 
All other navigation apps are deleted or in the case of Google Maps turned off. 
rob_den_toom
Send a message

Post by world_ayidafyn
Yeah, it isn't possible to set Waze as default in android 12 on a pixel 4a. Pretty frustrating.

Whenever I go Settings > Apps > Waze > I can toggle default to on however I'm unable to add links. When I click add links there are a total of 3 google links that appear as greyed out /unable to be selected. As such Waze can't be operated via Google assistant by voice eg "hey google navigate to X" etc still opens google maps. 

Have tried turning off Google maps as default, then stopping/disabling it. No joy.

Saw another work around where you text an address to yourself then click on it and set Waze as default there. That sets Waze as default for written addresses but again, no google assistant integration.

Another clunky work around offered elsewhere seems to be to use an app called maps coordinates as a middle manager but it is onerous. Would be great if the underlying issue could be fixed.

world_ayidafyn
Send a message

Post by world_fngxqzy3
Hello have a pixel 6 with android 12 and the notifications doesn't work. So... No reply yet.
world_fngxqzy3
Send a message