Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by usa_rk8pxin5
usa_rk8pxin5 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:40 am
Roadeo1 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:06 pm Would it be possible for WAZE to have a CDL-A GPS version? Meaning the system would avoid low bridges and restricted routes and bridges?

usa_rk8pxin5
Send a message

Post by vince1612
Staff's answer for this can be found here. Though it's dated from 2019, just before covid, in every recent video calls the community had with staff, each time this question was brought up, the answer has been the same: Not planned or even considered anytime soon (despite the constant and repeated requests for it).
If Waze were to create features that were more focused on commercial drivers, they could simply toggle them on or off with a "truck driver mode" button which would show or hide things that are truck driver specific like bridge heights, weigh station locations, truck service centers, etc.
Imagine they add the button tomorrow, it would just be a gimmick. Simply because besides for some locations, none of the other parameters exist in waze.com/editor and without being able to add those details in the Map Editor, enabling truck mode wouldn't actually work.

Making it work would be very complex due to all the data it would require, like road weight limits; seasonal weight restrictions; heights of the trucks and overpasses etc... etc... which the Waze map currently does not have at all.
If it ever would be considered, it would still require a HUGE effort on the community of volunteer map editors to accurately find and add this data to the map, and would probably take a long time before it could be considered reliable enough, not to mention all the legal and liability aspects that it could involve.

So if it's added on the roadmap someday, just don't expect it to be available the week after, it would probably be a matter of months or more likely years to build and implement for reliable use. I also wouldn't be surprised if it proved more often to be frustratingly inaccurate than actually helpful, depending on areas.

The Community has never been against the idea, we just can't decide and I'm trying to put things in perspective about how much effort it would actually take to make this a reality, because it's really not as simple as adding a switch.
Some regions have less active volunteer editors than others, and most of us are car drivers who wouldn't be very knowledgeable about truck routes, so while some hyper-local areas could be mapped well with coordinated efforts, many others would be less so, and it would precisely be in unknown territories where you may need to rely on the GPS more than where you're familiar with the roads.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... v18.10.png
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D)(FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
https://i.ibb.co/2k1TJHH/RIPIain.png

Post by world_3eu8tqqx
I mainly drive 18T vehicles but would more than happily follow the route of a UK standard artic if it means I could get through places easily.
world_3eu8tqqx
Send a message

Post by world_ei4yrr3y
Like millions of other drivers, I am a "Daily Wazer" but I also own a company that serves the trucking industry (check out dpfguys.com if you're curious... we clean DPF filters) plus we are a paying waze advertiser.

I would love more truck driver focused features on Waze because if more drivers used Waze, the better I could target my ads. You feelin' me Waze?

If Waze were to create features that were more focused on commercial drivers, they could simply toggle them on or off with a "truck driver mode" button which would show or hide things that are truck driver specific like bridge heights, weigh station locations, truck service centers, etc.

Then, this is where I get excited... I could specifically target my advertising to drivers who have truck driver mode turned on and not waste valuable ad-spend on passenger vehicles.

Seriously... Waze? You smell what I'm cookin' over here in Atlanta? :-)

:ugeek:

world_ei4yrr3y
Send a message

Post by world_qiiqc45i
I don't understand how functions such as low bridges and width restrictions (UK) cannot be implemented as other truck GPS apps have this application.
world_qiiqc45i
Send a message

Post by YogiJB
Sorry to jump in so late.

I'd love to see this come to live too. I'm not afraid to pay a little "rental fee" for these extra options.

What I'd like to see:
  • Truck routes and their time-based restrictions. My city, Montreal, already has a map overlay on Google Maps ready to be implemented (see here)
  • Height/weight restrictions.
  • A way to keep a driver's (time) log (in accordance with Transport Canada) with a way to send it through email.
  • A way to report open inspection/weigh stations.
I'm asked to drive a small truck max. 10 times per year, I don't know the roads and their restrictions by heart for trucks. It's not worth it for me to buy a specialized GPS system. Waze is great, but having an adapted version for trucks would be amazing!
YogiJB
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by YogiJB
iainhouse wrote:Staff don't read this forum but, if they did, they would tell you the same thing they tell us every time we ask:
  • Waze does not and will not support trucks
  • Waze does not and will not support height/width/weight limits
Yes, I read this further up in the thread. Someone else was asking about what we'd be looking for in such an app.
In any case, I'm simply adding my voice and support for the idea.

I've witnessed a lot of companies have a "we will never ever" position. Until they changed position. Never ever ( = "does not and will not") is a long time, hard to commit to. ;)

All there is left, is to discuss with this guy from HQ: ;)
https://i.imgflip.com/4hogrg.jpg
YogiJB
Answers: 1
Send a message