Waze Map Editor (WME) manual in the Wiki

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Papyrus Editing manual in the Wiki

Postby dmcconachie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:53 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:But I wonder if you could maybe find some way to squeeze into here that we have our own version of the guideline here?

I am sure there is. Since you're already looking ... why don't you add that in? ;)

Would do but I wasn't sure where best and didn't want to taint your hard work! ;)

Will take a look.
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby jondrush » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:22 am

Good work. I've done lots of technical editing and instruction manual writing in my job, so I applied my experience to try to simplify and clarify your words. I hope you approve.
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
jondrush User Page
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:28 am

jondrush wrote:Good work. I've done lots of technical editing and instruction manual writing in my job, so I applied my experience to try to simplify and clarify your words. I hope you approve.

Excellent. I write a lot too, but not very well. :)

One thing I found is that editing by section scrunches everything together, whereas I like an extra wide space between sections.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Laakkus » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:05 pm

Added double click (to shortcuts, even if its not technically speaking a keyb-shortcut). Kill me if it's not goodlooking enough an edit ;)
Area manager: Some cities
Country manager: Finland
Suomenkielinen Wiki | Asemien tarkistus | Editointiohje
i9300 | Resurrection Remix | Waze 3.9
Laakkus

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:00 pm

Laakkus wrote:Added double click (to shortcuts, even if its not technically speaking a keyb-shortcut). Kill me if it's not goodlooking enough an edit ;)

You killed me. I did pretty it up a bit. :)

I also added that the Mac has dual keyboard shortcuts as Ctrl and Cmd mirror each other.

And since I'm here, I encourage everyone to refer to the manual when answering questions from users. If something isn't there which should be, add it, or let me know. I encourage the direct editing because I cannot be a bottleneck for getting proper information into the wiki.

With the recently posted cameras info from Krankyd, which is really a repost of what Nir had posted a couple (a few?) weeks ago, I am just now starting on the Cameras details page which will give more information than the Map Editor Interface and Controls page.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:15 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:With the recently posted cameras info from Krankyd, which is really a repost of what Nir had posted a couple (a few?) weeks ago, I am just now starting on the Cameras details page which will give more information than the Map Editor Interface and Controls page.

When working on this, maybe refer to what Krankyd refers to as the azimuth as the lens direction to make it easier to understand :) 'Point the lens of the camera photo towards the direction of traffic that is being photographed.'
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1, Waze 4.4
Waze - PLEASE ADD CARPLAY SUPPORT
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Waze Map Editor (WME) manual in the Wiki

Postby bldxyz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:29 am

I don't see anywhere in the guide (or video) about how to delete a road segment.

Waze keeps telling me, when I get close to my house, to drive onto a street that simply is not there. Sure, if you go over two blocks in the grid, the street is there, but for those two blocks, there is no street.

Someone has already designated one of those blocks as "stairway", but that didn't prevent Waze from thinking I could drive it. The other block is shown as a two way street. It simply does not exist.

I tried deleting it by selecting it and pressing delete on my keyboard: nothing. I tried grabbing one end and dragging it to the other (so there would be no segment), but no luck.

Hm!
bldxyz

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:51 am

To delete a single segment, you should be able to click on it and hit your delete key, or click the garbage can icon. To delete multiple segments, the delete key won't work at all...you have to click the garbage can.

You have to have permissions on the segment you're trying to delete and also the adjacent connected segments. If it's a permissions issue, please post an unlock request.

The stairway is an undrivable segment, but if it's connected to a real road, it can be routed. Common practice is to disconnect that sort of thing from the real roads, but the correct thing to do is get rid of it completely, as it serves no purpose being on the map.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bldxyz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:32 am

jasonh300 wrote:To delete a single segment, you should be able to click on it and hit your delete key, or click the garbage can icon. To delete multiple segments, the delete key won't work at all...you have to click the garbage can.

You have to have permissions on the segment you're trying to delete and also the adjacent connected segments. If it's a permissions issue, please post an unlock request.

The stairway is an undrivable segment, but if it's connected to a real road, it can be routed. Common practice is to disconnect that sort of thing from the real roads, but the correct thing to do is get rid of it completely, as it serves no purpose being on the map.

That did the trick (not the delete key on my MacBook Pro, but the select-and-click-trash-can).

Seems like one could add that content above to the Wiki?
bldxyz

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:30 am

I suspect you haven't actually read the Editing Manual yet. http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_ ... ing_a_road
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor