The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by RIFF_RAFF
Whoaaa. This sounds a LITTLE bit insane, from the map freshness point of view.

Please, tell us, you are planning to upgrade the map tile build process, with regards to such a delay!!

RIFF_RAFF
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
https://i.postimg.cc/GmtpsKTQ/Waze-signature.png

:arrow: Waze Global Champ;
:arrow: Waze Latvia Coordinator;
:arrow: Country Manager;
:arrow: App / WME Beta Tester;
:arrow: First Responder Member.

https://soundcloud.com/thrillybus
https://www.facebook.com/thrillybus
Vehicle: ВАЗ 21063

Post by RIFF_RAFF
Hell, yeah, then the community will take a Waze-free vacation, if so. Lets rest, guys and the users will suffer   :evil:

RIFF_RAFF
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
https://i.postimg.cc/GmtpsKTQ/Waze-signature.png

:arrow: Waze Global Champ;
:arrow: Waze Latvia Coordinator;
:arrow: Country Manager;
:arrow: App / WME Beta Tester;
:arrow: First Responder Member.

https://soundcloud.com/thrillybus
https://www.facebook.com/thrillybus
Vehicle: ВАЗ 21063

Post by Sapozhnik
As I understand, tiles has been updated in the ROW, I see my edits which I made few days ago
Sapozhnik
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message
Andrey,
Ukraine Waze Coordinator, GC, CM, Beta, ...
http://waze.com.ua

Post by Sapozhnik
Vespucci41 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:04 pm Update: Automatic Tile builds are resumed also for ROW
G_W1Z wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:43 pm Just to confirm, are daily tile updates back for NA?

Yes, as announced in the previous post.

Hi Ruben, 

Is it possible that new POI (which were created during tile-update delay) are visible on the map but update of search base doesn't work yet and users don't see them in autocomplete search.

For example in this video we can see POI School "Школа 5" which was created 3-Jan but in the search we can see only google result

Sapozhnik
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message
Andrey,
Ukraine Waze Coordinator, GC, CM, Beta, ...
http://waze.com.ua

Post by SeveriorumPatrem
I've been taking a long break due to relocation and new job, far less time to edit than before, but hopefully I'll be back up to normal in another month or so. Consequently, I've been largely absent from the forum, and have a lot of catching up to do, as there have been many improvements and developments during my hiatus (thank you for the good ones).

All that said, I sure am glad that I didn't open this thread until it had 11 pages of replies to read through. I always shared a love of a good rant in the Iain House style, but lack his renowned ability to turn it around afterwards with the upsides that problems like this make possible. I would have said things I really meant, but might have regretted my tone later.

Still, my rants nearly always had the same core points: HQ communication with us should be one of their highest priorities, considering the value of our contributions. Communication internal to HQ seems perpetually broken, leaving the HQ liaisons to us the regrettable task of catching hell from us for things they can't control.  Also, the sheer degree of quality control problems, and unforced errors on WME UI design and theme, are simply absurd. So avoidable with proper resources in place to pay attention to what's going on out here where real people live and work. It isn't hard to get unfiltered truths about your product, but you have to want to hear them and want to act - someone in a corner office needs to get that memo.  Often enough, HQ doesn't seem to want it no matter how bad they might need it.

I worked in software long enough that I can easily recognize from the outside that there are still unnecessary and easily fixable organizational and communication problems within Waze HQ, and while they have improved to a degree, there's still a lot of room to grow. A bunch of these issues could be avoided by Waze dev staff and management creating a Mission Statement about what they do and what we do, how the relationship is not top-down but rather inter-dependent, and to set and uphold communications and quality control standards. And in every HQ decision made after that, you check.... does this align with the Mission? So, post-rant, that's my proposed light at the end of the tunnel. Consider crafting that Mission Statement, in memory of Iain House. Until that happens, well, this won't be the last time we see this.

SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
Last edited by SeveriorumPatrem on Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by SeveriorumPatrem
Very good news indeed. Thank you for the update and pass our thanks to the staff involved for being promptly responsive to the concerns raised.
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by shmupi
Planned ? for one month ? and not letting us know upfront ?

You knew that it is in plans and you didn't think that it is adequate to inform the global communities ? 

Is this for real ?

Waze is no longer a start-up company of 30 employees in Ra'anana.... even 10 years ago such a thing should not have happened

BTW...this message was posted after I have contacted Waze. It seems that no one at Waze thought that the map tiles build is an important  enough process to notify us !

I 've said this many times. The map tiles build process is the most important process within Waze after routing

This is unacceptable ! Please roll back and plan again in the future while making sure that the community is OK with the period and the timeframe. 

This the exact opposite of transparency ! 

Thank you,
Shmupi

shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by shmupi
phuz wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:20 pm Are you trying to nuke your brand?  Because this is how you nuke your brand.

This is unacceptable.  "Planned" with zero notice?  There are pending edits that need to be rolled out before closures can be set.  We're guaranteed to have URs stack up as a result of this in addition to poor routing.  You can do better than this.

+1
shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by shmupi
ldriveskier wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:23 pm I've been trying to write something, but I am just out of words. The very first thing that came to mind when I read this post is Staff communication with community is broken from iainhouse. I feel like this topic would be high on his list. RIP

Exactly my thoughts !
shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by shmupi
fuji2086 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:37 pm
Vespucci41 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:53 am our sincere apologies for the late notice.

I'm sorry, but I can't believe that your apologies are sincere at all. Google is a company worth nearly 2 trillion dollars, yet you exploit an unpaid workforce to develop and refine your product. Waze has staff that voice appreciation for the global community that makes the Waze map what it is. As the saying goes, though, "Actions speak louder than words."

This tile build outage is either planned and Waze made the decision not to involve or even notify its workforce of it until 11 days after it began or it's unplanned and Waze is lying to its workforce. Either way, it really shows this community what value Waze places on it. Waze is happy to exploit our labor and make decisions without regard to impact.

This event adds to a building sense that Waze, as a whole, lacks real competence and direction. New features seem to roll out half-baked and then sit essentially abandoned while Waze directs efforts to another feature. Look at gas prices and an app UI that encourages users to submit map problems if the prices are wrong instead of driving people to update prices; parking lots with data that Waze's unpaid workforce spent untold hours collecting then Waze decided not to use; lanes which more than 18 months after release still routinely break at common intersections with promised further development still not here; a forum upgrade that broke formatting and remains unfixed. 

Your actions are a real threat to Waze's continued success. the Waze map, made possible by Waze's unpaid workforce, is really the only thing that sets it apart from its competition. Waze's competitors, both internal from Google Maps and external from Apple Maps, have now adapted the main features that drove people to Waze in the past. The last remaining piece is Waze's unpaid workforce. With continued neglect and disrespect like this, Waze will lose this advantage and there will be nothing left to keep Waze relevant in the navigation arena. Do better.

Well said !

shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message