Waze now illegal to use in France. Is your country next?

Post by
France has introduced some new rules for road warriors. One is that every car is required to have 2 functional breathalyzers on board. Another is that devices with navigation software that report speed traps and red light cameras are prohibited to even be carried in cars! Let alone switched on!

So Waze is now officially illegal in France.

POSTER_ID:3189967

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
If you two want to continue what is likely a pointless argument, please either move it to PMs or at the very least, the off-topic forum. This conversation is no longer relevant to the topic nor even relevant to Waze. Thank you.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
Rokcet wrote:
fvwazing wrote:
Rokcet wrote: So now we wait for some idiot to duct tape his device, with Waze running, to his OUTSIDE rearview mirror believing this law does not apply to him. :mrgreen:
Would help for the coolingproblems as well! But what asterix proposes - disabling the speedcamfunctionality from the SERVER side - seems legal to me. You take Waze over the border and - poof!, speedcams gone, nothing you can do. Would hold in court.
When you cross a border it takes the system up to 20/30km to adjust* to that fact. So for that 20/30km you would be breaking the law.
So where would you position yourself if you were a French traffic cop hunting for lawbreakers...? :idea:

*When crossing a border without roaming selected, you'll find that nav and phone services still work even though you're well over 10km inside the other country. I.o.w. the system has not yet recognized that you are in another country. And as long as it hasn't it will not disable the speedcam functionality, and you will be breaking the law...
That's because you are still locked to your "local" cell towers... Those signals cross borders quite easily... If it were to be a GPS based function, you'd get the change pretty close to the border... Certainly less than 10km...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by argus-cronos
To have 2 functional breathalyzers on board is more stupid to me. That's ridiculous and what's next? Have a coffee machine on board for the Flics that they can drink a cup while they checking Waze on your Phone :-) Stupid european laws....

think it's possible to change the Waze icon on the screen, if they really looking for the blue waze icon on the device.
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by argus-cronos
"Remember, remember, the 5th of November...
Switzerland is close to the rest of the EU with stupid laws. But there is always a way to handle some things.
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by argus-cronos
dmcconachie wrote:This law will be aimed at the likes of RoadAngel. The burden of proof will lie with the Police and no way will they want to bother investigating every mobile phone sighting.
+1
But it's definitely not allowed in Germany and CH to show or detect any type of speedcams on any device.
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by argus-cronos
dmcconachie wrote: Argument remains, are the police going to bother trying to prove it? Do they have power to confiscate or even search mobile phones? Unlikely I'd have said.
They are allowed to. But i don't think they will spend time for it now, but if they smell some money, it could be in the Future. It depends what happens on the road, a big accident cause of a wazer using his device, the media will push it and we (CH) have a lot of stupid politicians who invest time to teach their cops.
As a tourist i have to bring two breath analyzers to france, another example...
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by argus-cronos
robin1979 wrote:
argus-cronos wrote:
dmcconachie wrote: Argument remains, are the police going to bother trying to prove it? Do they have power to confiscate or even search mobile phones? Unlikely I'd have said.
They are allowed to.
They are not.
ARTICLE 8

Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.
Also see article 10 posted above.
Yeah we all know that human rights means nothing in some cases.
several sources in www are showing the opposite. But as an official statement from our government: http://www.astra.admin.ch/dokumentation ... g-id=10094
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by asterix06
For what I remember I had the same problem in Switzerland early 90th
asterix06
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4L_o ... _small.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/gc.png
Iphone8+ Waze 4.43.0
Coordinator Waze Italy
Country Administrator Italy, CM China , CM Africa, Iran, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Turchia.
Forum Administrator

Post by asterix06
Like for many other radio equipment, you can own it, but you can not use it

Related to Waze . In countries which such a problem, we could simply disable speedcam futon the map
asterix06
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4L_o ... _small.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/gc.png
Iphone8+ Waze 4.43.0
Coordinator Waze Italy
Country Administrator Italy, CM China , CM Africa, Iran, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Turchia.
Forum Administrator