Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Disable snap / autozoom COMPLETELY

Post by AKumarMangalick
The mobile app needs to have an option NOT to snap the map automatically to the current position. It is SUPREMELY annoying to be looking around the map and then find that it automatically snaps back to my current GPS location. In fact, it seems obvious to me that the app should have this option. :roll:

A user will often want to scan around by hand, such as when stopped at a light, or prior to making a trip. The target icon allows one to snap back manually at any time.
AKumarMangalick

POSTER_ID:3450432

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I like the snap-back as I can pan around at a stop light and then start driving without having to tap the me-on-map button. I like that it will just snap back for me. So, a setting would be nice, but not disabling.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sharpstik wrote: Is there some reason why this is not being done? Do the programmers ever monitor this forum?
Wazers specifically asked for the snap-back so they could stop previewing/panning around and start driving when the light changes and Waze would auto-snap back to their current location. More people prefer this feature than do not. Waze has not added a user UI preference setting since 2011.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
RobAGD wrote:There needs to be some work on a few things when GPS isn't working or locking.

Not really sure WHY but it would never remember that the last place it had GPS so when it would attempt to resume it always snapped back to the start in Va.
That all is also dependent on what data the phone OS is feeding Waze. If it isn't giving correct information, such as giving the location and an incorrect margin of error of 1m or 3m or something, then there is no reason for Waze to "doubt" the accuracy of the location being reported.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Mike-1323 wrote:
RobAGD wrote:Not really sure WHY but it would never remember that the last place it had GPS so when it would attempt to resume it always snapped back to the start in Va.
Based on my observations when Waze does not get gps coordinates from the os...
It makes more sense that devices require apps to go through an API to get data, not to query the hardware directly, but I could be wrong about that.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by alexs001
My wish for autozoom is that if I have it off, it should remember its setting. I like to put it on maximum zoom on unfamiliar roads, but setting a new destination causes it to zoom out.
alexs001
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 9
Send a message
Local Champ: Canada
Area Manager: Okanagan Valley, BC / Newfoundland and Labrador

https://s.waze.tools/c6.png https://s.waze.tools/s0500.png

Post by argus-cronos
It was possible in the good old days... a checkbox for disabling this would be nice in deed.
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by Daknife
Either that or change it so that it only snaps back if you start moving. If sitting in one place (and allow for GPS jitter) it should stay where you have panned it too until you hit the target icon telling it to snap you back. But once you start moving it snaps back. That would be the most logical set-up, it's manual unless you start moving.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Edward50095
AFAIK, I'll have to check, but as long as I'm not moving it will stay zoomed out, at least it seems to sitting in this chair at home now.
Edward50095
Send a message

Post by Edward50095
Just touch the screen before that "5 seconds" expires. As long as you continue to touch the screen, slide it up a little slide it back a little, keep moving it.

But if you do not touch the screen, it is going to go back to navigating, as it should.

Unless you are stopped. If you are stopped it will not return to the auto-zoom. If you are stopped you do not have to continue to touch the screen. It will remain wherever you put it.
Edward50095
Send a message