Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by dmcconachie
There are lots of discussions on this and why it defeats the purpose of waze!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
airos4 wrote:I disagree. The point of Waze is to assist the driver in doing what they want to do. My suggestion would continue to include me in the community of people reporting traffic, hazards, etc, and the routing server would still get information. The alternative is having Waze yell at me constantly to go a route that takes me no less than 45 minutes out of my way. I have all of the learning and suggestion settings on and I've been driving this same route for more than a month since I started using Waze, but it hasn't caught on yet.
If you are dead set on using a specific route then don't plug in a destination. You can still use all the gubbins and provide all the reports you want.

As for not learning your desired route, there could well be a map problem that needs to be fixed on the editor. Or perhaps the learning feature hasn't been working.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by donmccarty
Here is an example for needing a custom route.
I travel for work. I arrived at my client site, drove to a hotel almost an hour away. I was driving right past downtown at 7pm and dreading what it was going to be like in the morning. After speaking with the hotel front desk, they said to take another easier route. A little further in distance but quicker in traffic.

I would love to program the route so that Waze can prompt me when turns are coming up as I'm traveling alone and can't be looking at the device screen while I drive in an unfamiliar area.

Knowing which way I want to go and not knowing when a turn is coming up is very common.
donmccarty
Send a message

Post by elkanito
It would be usefull if we can ask for routes with partial destinatons. It would help to "force" some routes that waze doesn't suggest by his own will. I imagine the clerk of the hotel saying "Why don't you take that avenue?" then we can ask Waze to go to our home with a partial destination on that avenue...
elkanito
Send a message

Post by gcarey3
There are many reasons to want a custom route that fall outside of the abilities of Waze even with route learning and all the fancy stuff. Using the original example, even if it was the fastest route I wouldn't drive down Broad Street in Philadelphia at certain times because of safety reasons. I have had people try to reach into my car late at night in center city.

Another reason is that you may want to take a longer, rural or scenic route, a flatter route for better gas mileage, avoid an area experiencing bad weather, etc.

This doesn't discount the features which are being developed for Waze which are pretty powerful for routine driving, and thinking about it from a developer's view it seems like it would be difficult to integrate a custom maps feature overall. But I think it's probably wrong to assume that people always want to go somewhere the fastest or "most often used" way or that Waze knows all the variables that come into play when choosing a route. There should be a way to choose which way you go somehow and still get the excellent reporting capabilities that Waze has.
gcarey3
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Sounds like map issues. We need a Permalink of the area and details on the wrong and correct routing to assist.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
donmccarty wrote:After speaking with the hotel front desk, they said to take another easier route.
Unfortunately the front desk clerk may not be a good substitute for real time traffic and routing data, that is accumulated from 10's, 100's, or 1000's of your fellow Wazers driving in the area. If the maps are good and there are a decent number of Wazers contributing data, and all is working as designed, the route the Waze gives should not be discounted based on the advice of a single human.

Waze is not just about getting directions. It's not a newer version of a printout from Mapquest. It's real time traffic avoidance.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Route-filtered events will be coming to the app.
But brian1366 wants to filter events on 'his' route not the Waze provided route...
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by massnerd
I also would like to save a custom route. Why? So I can see all reports ALONG MY ROUTE. This is the best way to filter through all the reports that don't concern me. I have a route that I like to take that Waze Nav does not. It is the fastest 49 out of every 50 days. Waze could help me out on 1 of those 50 days when some traffic event has happened.
massnerd
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
chris-his wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:The primary purpose of Waze is to get you from home to work and back again each day in the shortest period of time. So taking the scenic route or pre-planning routes are outside of those goals.

P.S. - You can may be able to get a little bit of what you want for a scenic route by setting Waze to avoid Freeways.
I do NOT want to be stuck in traffic on some local road when I go sightseeing, so basically I still need the things WAZE stands for, and I'd hate to have to switch to an alternative program for these things because I like WAZE a lot more.
Did you miss WeeeZer14's restatement of Waze's purpose (what you call "What WAZE stands for")?
OldGnome
Send a message