These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

I see other wazers on map...

Post by llckll
But what is their status?

How does the map display the other users? If there in my current view of the map that refreshes? If they're driving real time, does their icon on my map move?

Sorry for the silly question.
llckll

POSTER_ID:10898

Send a message

Post by usa_aupxw4jx
How can I be seen on the map too? 
usa_aupxw4jx
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
I think you are not grasping how much data this could potentially be, the extra server load this could generate.

Would it be nice to see people update in realtime, sure. Is it necessary for the main goals of the application. No.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by proffa71
Just recently drove to gas station at night and on map I could see another Wazer there. In reality there was no one else on the station and after a few minutes the wazer also vanished from the map. The only way out of the station was the same route that I came in and didn't see any cars then either. So I'd say the delay is closer to 5 minutes than 2.

proffa71  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Oletko jo käynyt Waze Finlandin Discordissa, rennompaa jutustelua ja muihin editoreihin tutustumista: https://discord.gg/GnqERGJUpB

https://i.ibb.co/YBXHRYv/Banner1-5-M-Megamapper.png

Global Champ
Country Manager
Community, Partner, Localization and Mentoring Coordinator
First Responder
Beta WME & Android
Finland

Post by jm6087
usa_aupxw4jx wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:37 pm How can I be seen on the map too?

I am sure a lot has changed in the 11 years since the last post

Make sure you are set to visible in the app settings
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by gettingthere
In addition, it may be a big turnoff to recruiting users due to the privacy issues. I for one don't want my exact location disclosed to every other Wazer.

And if they give an option to hide, many people will choose that options since they also don't want their exact location disclosed.

As we know, the traffic data is better when there are more active Wazers. Being able to see other Wazers on the map is a reassurance that there are other Wazers in the vicinity and that the traffic data is current. If Wazers can hide, we don't have this visual regarding other Wazers close by.

In addition, being able to see stats on the Wazer (number of points, royalty rank, etc) keeps people interested in contributing to Waze to earn points and beat out the next guy...
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
The two minute update if other Wazers locations is surely also for minimizing data usage, minimizing all of these updates of other Wazers locations via the Waze back-end and for client and Waze infrastructure performance reasons.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by dmcconachie
It refreshes every couple of minutes but that's not to say there isn't a slight delay too I'm not sure.

That driver would have been ahead of you on the road irl.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status