Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by CBenson
Not that the info is too useful, but when there is no TTS available, does that mean the TTS engine tries to sound out the entry as a word or does it try to spell out the entry as letters?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
GizmoGuy411 wrote:I did not think it was important enough to keep track of.
Sound quite reasonable, given all that you are keeping track of.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I recently passed through this ramp and noticed that "Hwys" does not work as an abbreviation. As far as the "trwy" goes, it sounds like "Trueway" to me.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I just discovered that "Pr." is on a few BGSs around here as an abrieviation for "Prince." The TTS says "pea are."
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I see that you have a abbr. source column now. The ones I originally suggested were found in section 1.A.15 of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
GizmoGuy411 wrote:Thanks to CBenson's link, I've also added the relavant abbreviations from the "Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, Section 1A.15 Abbreviations Used on Traffic Control Devices" list today.
I would also note I was somewhat surprised (not having any use for the "Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices" expect for waze map editing) at how much each state might change that list. Here is Maryland's for example.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I see that "Pr" has been added to the spreadsheet. Please note that the entries I have heard are for "Pr." - with the period (if that makes a difference).
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I thought we decided long(er) ago that differentiation should be with the period or without. Positional should make no difference. St=street, St.=saint, Dr=drive, Dr.=Drive, etc. Why make it more complicated?
Did you mean Dr.=Doctor?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
GizmoGuy411 wrote:
CBenson wrote: I would also note I was somewhat surprised (not having any use for the "Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices" except for waze map editing) at how much each state might change that list. Here is Maryland's for example.
Yes that is a surprise. Maryland has quite a few more abbreviations than the fed list too. I looked my state of Ohio, and our abbreviation list is a copy of the federal list.

I supposed to do the our list right we should look at these for EVERY state. I'm afraid however I'm not up to the task, as our current list represents a fair amount of effort to date, and with only 35% tested so far, there will be a lot more to test once the map tiles are updated again.

Would anyone like to compare the MUTCD list for every state against our list and submit any additional abbreviations we should add?

http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/sta ... /index.htm
It appears that Maryland is the only state to add a bunch to the fed list. So this doesn't look to be such a problem.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Yep, I can confirm that Penn St comes out as "Pennsylvania St" and should not be confused with Pennsylvania Ave.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message