Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

How to guide people to street address that is not entered from street?

Post by n8nagel
Good morning,

I was reminded last night that I needed to address something, namely the Self Storage Plus in Beltsville.  The address is 5050 Powder Mill Road, however, the address should really be associated with the entrance from Herzel Place

https://waze.com/en-US/editor?env=usa&l ... s=71528455

When I went in to look at it, I saw that the parking lot roads actually predated the construction of SSP so I fixed those up so they reflect the current configuration, but what I don't know is how I could direct people when navigating to 5050 Powder Mill to actually turn off Powder Mill to Cook Road and then Herzel Place (or, in my case, if I stop coming home from work, I may actually be coming in through the north side of the industrial park from Odell Road/ Old Baltimore Pike in which case Waze doesn't give good directions as it's trying to get me to Powder Mill Road.)  Any guidance appreciated.

What prompted this edit was I actually needed to stop at Colliflower this morning to get some fittings I didn't have and the one in Beltsville was closed so I kept going to the one in Jessup as that is also on my way to work.  That was super confusing as well - I had never been to that location before - as the building 10630 Riggs Hill Road is two levels, and suites A through something or other (upper level) are accessed from one parking lot road and the higher suites (lower level) are accessed from another.  Took me about 10 minutes to find my destination and again I fixed the map up best I could but I'm not sure that this is 100% correct.

https://waze.com/en-US/editor?env=usa&l ... =530197868

thanks for any guidance!

n8nagel

POSTER_ID:11401730

Send a message
by mtb2314 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:49 pm
I added the RPP for Colliflower and updated the PP to have Offices category, added phone/website, and updated schedule from their website. I also moved the stop point so it's not directly on the PLR, between the PLR and the entrance.

Nate I'd be happy to show you all of this if you'd like to see how we use scripts and Waze guidance to make updates to places and PLR routing.

Thanks,
Tom
kodi75 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:21 pm For Self Storage you may not have the RPP Layer turned on?
For Colliflower, please add a new RPP https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Places#Residential_point_place

Go to full post

Post by mtb2314
I added the RPP for Colliflower and updated the PP to have Offices category, added phone/website, and updated schedule from their website. I also moved the stop point so it's not directly on the PLR, between the PLR and the entrance.

Nate I'd be happy to show you all of this if you'd like to see how we use scripts and Waze guidance to make updates to places and PLR routing.

Thanks,
Tom
kodi75 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:21 pm For Self Storage you may not have the RPP Layer turned on?
For Colliflower, please add a new RPP https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Places#Residential_point_place

mtb2314
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 4
Send a message
Tom N
mtb2314
MD State Manager / USA Country Manager
MD Wazeopedia
MD Editors Discord Chat
Waze Editing Best Practices

Post by kodi75
For Self Storage you may not have the RPP Layer turned on?

kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by mtb2314
I deleted the HN and added a RPP for 5050.

Tom
n8nagel wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:00 pm Thanks. Does it have to be a *residential* point place? Both places I mentioned have places (Self Storage Plus was already created, and I made one for Colliflower) but they are both businesses. Should I convert them to residential?

mtb2314
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 4
Send a message
Tom N
mtb2314
MD State Manager / USA Country Manager
MD Wazeopedia
MD Editors Discord Chat
Waze Editing Best Practices

Post by n8nagel
Thanks. Does it have to be a *residential* point place? Both places I mentioned have places (Self Storage Plus was already created, and I made one for Colliflower) but they are both businesses. Should I convert them to residential?
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by n8nagel
OK, I'm sorry to be a pest, but I'm looking at Self Storage Plus and don't see what's different, can someone explain please? Just want to understand what was done here in case this comes up for me again I can just fix it.

Also, I haven't edited in a real long time, but I just noticed that the speed limit for Herzel Place shows in the editor now as 48 km/h what's gone wrong and how do I fix it (or is this a bug that is above the user level)?

n8nagel
Send a message

Post by n8nagel
russblau wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:11 am
n8nagel wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:19 pm Took me about 10 minutes to find my destination and again I fixed the map up best I could but I'm not sure that this is 100% correct.

https://waze.com/en-US/editor?env=usa&l ... =530197868

The two new road segments you added are red, because you did not set the street name and city fields for them.  Please don't forget to do this!

When you set an entrance point for a place as you did for Colliflower (which wasn't even really necessary), don't set it on top of a road segment; set it clearly off to one side or the other so the user will see which side of the street their destination is on.  (It wasn't necessary because, even without an entry point, users who select that place as their destination will be routed to the road segment nearest to the place, which in this case is exactly the same as where you set the entry point.)

Got it, and sorry about that, as I say, I haven't really edited in years but now that I'm starting to drive new places (I started a new job in January) I am seeing the need for it occasionally.
nzahn1 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:45 pm
n8nagel wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:00 pm Thanks. Does it have to be a *residential* point place? Both places I mentioned have places (Self Storage Plus was already created, and I made one for Colliflower) but they are both businesses. Should I convert them to residential?

So in order for the address to be “searchable”, it has to be a “residential” place, however, we also want the details that come with a “normal” place. So have one of each. One place for all the business details, a second ‘residential’ place for a searchable address.

EDIT: looks like Tom added a RPP.

I'm not seeing these residential point places, can someone explain please?

For Colliflower, this is the only place I see

https://waze.com/en-US/editor?env=usa&l ... 33.1501354

and for Self Storage Plus, this is the only one I see

https://waze.com/en-US/editor?env=usa&l ... 63.6995515

n8nagel
Send a message

Post by n8nagel
Ah... that sound you hear is me slapping my forehead. I never even thought that places and residential places might be two different layers. Thanks for setting me straight. This is what happens when you don't do something regularly for over 5 years and then try to get back into it...
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by n8nagel
Just as a follow up, I ended up going to the storage place after work last night and Waze routed me correctly this time, from Odell Road straight into the industrial area and then left on Herzel Place. Guess we can stick a fork in this one.
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
I’m mobile, so I can’t dive too deep, but the basic answer is to remove any house number for the address from the names segment itself (select Powder Mill Rd, click edit house number in left pane, delete 5050, save), then add a new Residential Point Place with the address for 5050 beside the main entrance, but the RPP must also have an entry point set.

This way, anyone search by name or by address will be given one of the Waze places, and not any HNs or Google results.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter