Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by CBenson
GizmoGuy411 wrote:I recall someone previously posted a link to Maryland too.
My post about Maryland is here.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Timbones wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:If we make it a standard that "St" is "street" and "St." is "saint" then we know exactly how it will be pronounced regardless of where it is in the street name.
Is this going happen? Did the request get put in to HQ?
I don't know. But if it is/has, "Dr" as "drive" and "Dr." and "doctor" should get the same request.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
The last time I checked Int'l was sounded out as "Intel" as well.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
"Pkwy" with the initial capitalization and no punctuation (as used here) gives me TTS of "parkway."
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
This exit has been named "Exits 13A-B-C: US-301 / MD-3 Richmond / Crofton" to match the BGS for quite some time. I drive through it regularly. TTS says: "Exits thirteen ayybeesea...youess threeohone...emdee three Richmond...Crofton." It sounds fine to me. I've never seen or heard a complaint.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Wajo357 wrote:1) Most avenues in Brooklyn NY are letters, like Ave M . However, Waze reads Ave N, E, W, and S as the direction, not the letter. A few of us have tested that encapsulating the letters with either single or double quotes gets Waze to say the letter and not the direction. So what do you guys recommend? Single quotes? double quotes? All avenues? Just problematic avenues? Add alternate name with no quotes?
East/West streets in downtown Washington DC are also letters, like "K St." In the past, encapsulating the letters with either single or double quotes would not get waze to say the letter and not the direction (only lower case encapsulated in single quotes gave the letter). Maybe things have changed since I last tried this or maybe it matters whether the single letter starts the name.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Wajo357 wrote:When waze says the "ayybee" it sounds like it is slurring the two letters together instead of saying simply "70 ayy bee". My question was if there was a way to write it such that voice TTS doesn't slur it.
Not that I know of. But I kind of like waze being quick about it.
orbitc wrote:Maybe, it's changed?
Maybe. I'll try it again.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
So I think I can confirm that "'E' St NW" is now pronounced "ee street northwest."* Unfortunately, I tested E St and I'm finding it really difficult to hear the difference between "ee" and "east." I'll try 'N' now.

* Oddly, when I route to a destination on "'E' St NW" my phone then has a sound file "ee street en double you Washington." I don't recall actually having heard "en double you" when reaching my destination. I wonder why this file is there.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
My gut reaction is just to change E, N, S and W. My vote would be to use the capital letter inside single quotes, but GizmoGuy stated that the recommendation to waze was to use double quotes. I don't remember (if I ever knew) why the preference for double quotes.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
CBenson wrote:Oddly, when I route to a destination on "'E' St NW" my phone then has a sound file "ee street en double you Washington."
OK, I can confirm that the sound file is used as the destination location if you select your destination by press and holding the location on the map. If you search for a destination, the announced destination location appears to be the search result you select. However, if you press and hold to give the destination, waze creates the destination location announcement. However, as waze gives the street name anyway this is redundant.
So if I press and hold to route to a location on F St NW, when I get there waze says: "You have reached your destination eff street en double you Washington at eff street northwest." Sometimes if waze determines the street number it seems to include the number: "You have reached your destination 601 eff street en double you Washington at eff street northwest."
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message