Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by wxw777
ldriveskier wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:34 pm
wxw777 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:18 pm Does someone claim ownership to this page? If not, I could work up a proposed set of edits to post unless someone else want to.

Please do and thank you for volunteering to draft it up. I'd guess it was easier to program that way and they didn't think anyone would be that proactive (or didn't think of that case for their testing).

Sounds good. Give me 2-3 days and I'll have a draft to post here (have family in town for the holiday). Happy Memorial Day weekend to everyone!

wxw777
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by wxw777
I have extracted the relevant portions and made suggested edits with markup. As I started to edit the page, I realized there were several typographical and other minor edits needed as well. I also attempted to fix the vehicle type changes that have been made to WME.

Here's the link to the Google Doc version that is open for comment: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LLS ... sp=sharing

This is just a first pass so I'm sure I've missed some things. Contributions welcome. I also didn't scrub for style guide issues,

wxw777
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by wxw777
russblau wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:20 pm I realize this isn’t something you edited, but as long as we are taking a fresh look at this page: the discussion of 12- to 24-hour conversions is incorrect:
  • For AM times, use the time directly: 8:45 AM = 8:45 (in 24-hour format)
  • For PM times, add 12 hours to the time: 8:45 PM = 20:45 (in 24-hour format)
These conversions are only correct for times from 1:00-11:59 (am or pm). The two time formats are identical from 1:00 AM to 12:59 PM; then you add 12 hours from 1 PM to 11:59 PM, then you subtract 12 hours from midnight to 12:59 AM. 

There's probably good, stock-language in another wiki that I can either include directly or link to as appropriate.

wxw777
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by wxw777
I've changed the time entry language to more closely reflect the language used for RTCs. There were already links to the 24-hour format wiki page.
wxw777
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by wxw777
fuji2086 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:35 am There's a lot of information that's duplicated between the segment and turn sections (days of week, time, etc.) Would it be more readable if the common information was listed once and then just the differences are highlighted for segments vs. turns?

I would agree, Jason. I was thinking the same thing today when doing the latest edits. That's a far more major restructuring but I'm willing to give it a shot. I may have to roll up everyone's minor edits and then do the structural reshuffling to eliminate all the duplication. It would shorten the fairly bloated page.

My little project of adding two small paragraphs has really grown!
wxw777
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by wxw777
russblau wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:23 pm I suggested a couple of edits to the section on date ranges; the text now in the wiki does not accurately describe how date ranges work.

Thanks. I'll be looking at all the submitted items this weekend and then accepting all those that look OK before starting the reorganization of the page to eliminate duplication between TBSRs and TBTRs. We can do a final diff before for acceptance before requesting approval to merge into live.
wxw777
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by wxw777
FYI, I have made the current document read-only while I review and merge in many of the clean-up comments and before I restructure things a bit before opening it up again with a new link. I have not merged in the time comments being discussed currently until we resolve any concerns there.
wxw777
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by wxw777
kentsmith9 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:33 am Great work on attacking this, Dave.

Something that is good to do with page changes, is to copy the current content to a subpage under your user profile. That way we can get:
1. Identical formatting as will be seen in the final layout.
2. Track changes so we can more easily see what areas to focus on for what you changed.
3. Super simple transfer to production environment knowing what we all think is good will be exactly what will appear after that.
4. The content is not visible to the general population during the editing phase, but we editors can see it and follow along with your changes.

We can still accomplish this process on your page changes with a little work. I'm happy to assist if you made a lot of change that you are unsure where they might be. Just give me a shout when you are ready. We can even do it before you think you are done. 

Kent

Thanks for the note. This started out affecting only two small paragraphs and kind of exploded into a re-write/restructure along with the tons of fixes others contributed. Otherwise, I would have done a full page copy as you indicate. My $$$ job got in the way recently, but I may reach out when going to the next step. It looks like two sections may get collapsed and an additional page created to cover a specific component. I may reach out when ready to publish on how to best handle that presentation.

wxw777
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message