These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Waze app - heavy battery drain on iPhone

Post by gareth71
iPhone XR, iOS 15.6.1, Waze 4.86.0.1.

Has something happened in a recent update to the Waze app which is causing battery usage to be even heavier than before? I've always noticed that Waze places a pretty heavy load on the iPhone power-wise - but this weekend I noticed it worse than usual.

Running Waze (on screen) and Spotify (background, streaming via BT), and with phone connected to charger, the battery usage stats appear to show a net battery DRAIN of around 15% per hour.

This didn't seem right, so to compare I did another journey with Google Maps and Spotify, running in the same configuration, and that resulted in a battery CHARGE of around 20% per hour.

The only variable between the two situations was the nav app. So why is Waze soooo much more power-hungry than Google Maps? And is there a way to stop it being thus?

gareth71
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:130194

Send a message

Post by carlosveny
Same here after updating to iOS 16. iPhone 12 Pro. The phone also gets really hot when using Waze.

PD: i’m always using Waze through Carplay, but before the battery drain and the temperature problems weren’t ocurring
carlosveny
Send a message

Post by DavidAbarca
Hi! 
have you checked your battery condition status in iOS? settings > battery> condition
DavidAbarca
Experts
Experts
Send a message
Just another service provided by your friendly neighborhood Local Waze Champ

iPhone X
Waze Beta Last Version

Post by gareth71
DavidAbarca wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:25 pm Hi! 
have you checked your battery condition status in iOS? settings > battery> condition

Yes, that was one of the first things I checked, and it's absolutely fine. Anyway, if battery health was the issue I'd be seeing issues with other apps, not just Waze.
gareth71
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by gareth71
No-one else is experiencing this?!
gareth71
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by JEK1024
Same issue here with iPhone 14 and latest iOS update. After 30 minutes or so, phone is very hot and I see the message that it is too hot to charge. 
JEK1024
Send a message

Post by jlcargill
same problem here.  Started with ios16 upgrade.  Heavy battery usage and phone gets super hot.  I tried apple support and they agree it is waze.  I have been using waze for over a year with no issues prior to ios16.

Please fix!!!

jlcargill
Send a message

Post by Kyokushin4
Same here, still not fixed. It damaged my battery - in two weeks it went down from 100% to 89% of capacity.
That happens from iOS 16 and now the Waze is using around 5 times more power than it used on iOS 15.

Phone is also getting hot as hell.

iPhone 13 mini, wireless carplay, 16.1.1 and ''current" Waze version.I reported it to Waze but they somes to *do not care*.

Its still not fixed.

I also erased my phone completely to ensure its not issue of phone configuration.

Kyokushin4
Send a message

Post by shaun3000
Same issue, here. iPhone 12 Pro on iOS 16.0. 

Here’s another discussion about the issue. https://reddit.com/r/CarPlay/comments/x ... play_waze/
shaun3000
Send a message

Post by tambo_man
I have a iPhone 12 Pro Max on IOS 16 and have this issue. I did get a message saying the phone was to hot to charge.

Have stopped using Waze until a fix comes.
tambo_man
Send a message