Gated entrance usable only with transponder

Post by usa_q9parwl8
My community has a gated entrance that can be entered only with a transponder. There's no intercom to reach an attendant. On Google Maps I was able to get this entrance marked one-way outbound, so no one will be routed in through there, even if their destination is within the community, but anyone exiting the community may be routed out that way. Can the entrance be marked one-way on Waze also?  The coordinates of the entrance in question are 38.966260, -77.088593.

Thank you.

usa_q9parwl8

POSTER_ID:18077036

Send a message

Post by fuji2086
Hello,
I was taking a look at this with Kodi75. I want to confirm I understand everything correctly. In the picture I posted below, the green routes are accessible to all traffic; and the red routes are only possible with a resident transponder, correct? This means that visitors must enter via Somerset Ter, but may exit via any point.
temp.jpg
(265.33 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
 Thank you,
Jason

fuji2086
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by fuji2086
usa_q9parwl8 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:48 pm Right now when I ask for a route from 5610 Wisconsin Ave. to 5600 Wisconsin Ave., it takes me the long way around the ring road, making a right turn out of 5610. The double-headed arrow across the parking area is to show that vehicles can traverse it in both directions, so one can drive directly from 5610 to 5600.

There is nothing with the way the ring road is mapped that prevents routing in either direction. When it comes to which direction Waze provides to you on a route, the Waze routing server has to make an assumption for your direction of travel. If you were last traveling southwest on the ring road, Waze will typically assume the same starting direction when you next request a route. It will recalculate if you instead start traveling in the other direction.

Thanks,
Jason
fuji2086
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by kodi75
From Streetview (Nov 2021) that segment is 2-way and it's marked "Private" - but so is the entrance off of Somerset Terrace ... but it looks like there is a guard station there. Shall we make *that* entrance as preferred for visitors?
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by kodi75
As it stands currently (before I make any recommended changes), all entrances are set to "Private" - the effect being, drivers with a valid destination within the community will be routed to use the nearest entrance. 

In this case, where at some entrances an access card is required, it would be best to set the Guardhouse entrance for "Public" access and leave the other two as "Private." One wouldn't want to set the one gated entrance (the subject of your first post) to "Exit Only" since those with access cards would not be offered that entrance either.

The changes I make should take effect in a few days. 
No changes have been made to the Friendship Blvd Entrance: it remains "Private", accessible only using a key card. However it appears anyone can access that section from Willard Ave/ S Park Ave.  Streetview doesn't show any gated roadways there. As you stated, "anyone can pass from the other side."

In addition, those without access cards will only be routed via the Guard House. Is that the desired effect?

kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by kodi75
It's not a matter of knowing who has a transponder (as you note, residents know their way around the place), rather the general public (visitors, delivery services). We want to route them to entrances meant for them (i.e, the Guard House) and avoid the gates that open only for transponders. 

We now have it set according to our Waze Wiki Standard for "Visitors." For more on this, see https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Pr ... 6_Visitors

We previously had it for "Majority Residents", where residents were routed using the nearest entrance (which inconvenienced delivery drivers and visitors not knowing which gate is for them).

Again, it may take a day or 2 for these changes to be reflected in the app. 

kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by kodi75
(1)  5600 Wisconsin Blvd not staring inside: perhaps you have a cached location for 5600 Wisconsin Blvd.  please remove any instance of this address from your history / Saved Places (tap the 3 dots). Then perform a new search and resave.

If you have an old search result or Saved Place, drivers will be routed to the old location - Waze stores the Lat/Long of a search result and doesn't perform a new query each time.

See this Waze help page: 
https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6262577?hl=en see the Favorites topic in the help menu in the app (listed under settings).

(2) Friendship Blvd Gate - I wasn't aware that this gate was set to allow unrestricted traffic from Friendship to Somerset.  I can change that.

kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by kodi75
At this point, a picture is worth a thousand words. Please mark-up your Google Earth Image to help us understand what is needed,

As for the "pin" for the Wisconsin Ave address, you should delete all "pins" that are saved in the app, including the one with the "clock" (that indicates a selected destination in your app's history). As mentioned earlier, waze caches the Lat/Long - there is no "F5" key to force a refresh. The "autocomplete" result may still use the cached location. We have a 'Waze Residential Point Place" here
5600WisconsinAve.PNG
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 40 times

kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by usa_q9parwl8
Besides the gated entrance on Wisconsin Avenue, the subject of my original post, there are two other gated entrances on Somerset Terrace, a short distance from each other. Those are: 

Guard house entrance at 38.964886, -77.089665, usable by anyone.

Friendship Boulevard entrance at 38.964652, -77.089750, a stone's throw from the guardhouse. This one requires a transponder to pass from Friendship Blvd. to Somerset Terrace, but anyone can pass the other way.

What would be the effect of setting the guard house entrance as the preferred entrance? Would it stop any inbound routing through the Wisconsin Ave. entrance? Note also that the Friendship Blvd. entrance is an unusual case. It's like the Wisconsin Ave. entrance in that it requires a transponder in one direction, but it isn't an entrance to the community. It regulates traffic between Friendship Blvd., a public road, and Somerset Terrace, a road that's used by the public but isn't a public road. Rather, it's a private road with an easement for public use. That's why there can be a gate separating it from Friendship Blvd.

Thank you.

usa_q9parwl8
Send a message