Accident -- What are the odds?

Post by WeeeZer14
Back in June I took the day off from work and went to a children's museum with my wife, my son, my mother, and my father. This was on my son's 1 year birthday. On the way back home there was a sudden storm burst on the Interstate. Traffic came to a sudden stop. I stopped. Car behind me didn't. Bang.

Luckily our car (2012 VW Passat TDI) fared very well. We only had it for 6 weeks or so. Only a few surface scratches on the bumper. Other guy (late '90s VW Jetta) wasn't able to drive off though. Bumper mangled, lights shattered, radiator supports bent, shift linkage busted so he couldn't get it in gear. After $800 worth of repairs, our car was back to normal. No cost at all to us since it is actually my wife's company car which we can use for personal business and I am allowed to drive as well.

Fast forward to yesterday. I took the day off. Went to a DIFFERENT children's museum with my wife, my son, and my mother. (My father was out of town for business.) On the way back home we were slowing to a stop at a residential intersection waiting to make a left behind another car waiting to make a turn. I bet you know what happened... GMC Yukon towing an 18 to 20 foot long boat came down the hill behind us and couldn't stop in time. Bang.

Slower speed impact, but much greater forces this time. I had to fight to get the trunk open, then I couldn't get it closed again until I removed some trim pieces. Definite frame damage this time since things don't line up right. Perfect imprint of the guys front license plate frame on the back bumper. But all tail lights are intact and working.

Luckily no one was injured in either accident other than a little neck pain. Both times the other driver was cited for unsafe following.

What are the odds to get rear ended twice in 2 months? Twice in 4 months of having a new car? Each time on the way back from a children's museum? Each time with my mother in the car?

Anyway, next week I am supposed to be driving up to NY and NJ for a week. But first we need to find out if we are taking this car or a rental. I may be a bit scarce on the forums, editor, and wiki or a while as I get this all straightened out.
WeeeZer14

POSTER_ID:283192

Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by floppyrod84
What do you all do over there? Play on your phones while driving? Hell, I'd have got out and twatted the other driver just for the stupidity!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Aren't you allowed to carry guns in the US? Please, use them on these drivers. "It was self defence, I thought they were trying to run me off the road Judge Judy" lol

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by gerben
Our first car was total loss within 30 minutes after buying it, does that count?
gerben
Send a message
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img][img]https:///WS6zp[/img][img]https:///Y17fx[/img]https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/35/luiconring.png

Post by invented
The important thing is that you reported an accident on Waze, as well as car pulled over on shoulder. Right?
invented
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Stay away from those children's museums!

Back in '05, I got rear-ended in my brand new PT Cruiser convertible. Not a lot of damage, but enough to file a claim. That afternoon, my ex-wife took the car to pick up lunch and some guy came up behind her and hit the car again! She was just cruising along on a 25 MPH street, and the guy came up behind her doing about 30 not paying attention and ran right into her. Didn't even hit the brakes.

The guy was in an older beat up pickup truck and an adjuster hadn't even looked at the car yet, so since she wasn't injured, I told her to just let the guy go. I didn't want to call the insurance company and tell them that the car had been hit again.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
scruffy151 wrote:This time I totaled it to end the cycle.
You really didn't want that car, did you?
xteejx wrote:Aren't you allowed to carry guns in the US? Please, use them on these drivers. "It was self defence, I thought they were trying to run me off the road Judge Judy" lol
In many states, your car is considered an extension of your person, so you can carry a gun in your car without a permit.

We frequently use them to solve minor traffic disputes. :)
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by johnarbor
Buy a lottery ticket!

Sent from the centre of my universe using Tapatalk
johnarbor
Send a message
[img]https:///9Lblq[/img]

Post by mapcat
Obviously the problem lies either with the car, the destination, or your mom. Are any of you the victim of a curse?

The best way to set up the experiment would be to take separate* cars everywhere you go until you can rule out different causes. When the inevitable accident happens, you should be able to rule out one of the factors. Unless your mom ends up rear-ending (or getting hit by) you en route to a museum.

*except your son, who probably shouldn't be driving, and probably should be encased in bubble wrap for the duration of the test
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by Scruffy151
I've got a fun one too.

I had a wreck and got it fixed but there was a problem. So I got in another wreck taking the car back to the body shop. They missed something that time too. So I got in another wreck taking the car back to the body shop again. Again I had to take the car back to the body shop. This time I totaled it to end the cycle.

That's 3 wrecks on the way to the body shop if you lost count, 4 if you count the one that started everything.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message