Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Deteriorating Road

Post by BarbNed
In northeast Michigan near the Bay City, Saginaw, Midland area,
Indiantown Road, between M81 and Portsmouth road is in poor
shape.  There is a sign on the roadside that says 
"Deteriorating Road."  Waze shouldn't direct anyone to use
this road.  Please remove it from directions.  Thank you.
BarbNed

POSTER_ID:17462803

Send a message

Post by BarbNed
Sorry, I sent a message instead of posting a reply as I am now doing, so I apologize for
the duplication.  Waze directs us to use Indiantown Road on each trip, be since we know
the state of the road, we ignore it and continue on M81 to Portsmouth Rd.  The last trip,
the car ahead of us took Indiantown Road, but we actually beat it where Portsmouth Rd
meets Indiantown road, so it certainly isn't much of a shortcut---it's slower (even if a
few hundred yards shorter) because drivers must slow down due to the unsatisfactory
road condition.  Thank you.
BarbNed
Send a message

Post by BarbNed
I don't dispute that if someone wanted to drive that fast, it would be quicker.  Here is photo of the sign that has been posted by the 
government (not sure if it is a country road, or not) that warns you to go slower.  Why they haven't lowered the speed limit is unknown
to me, since this sign acknowledges that the road is in bad shape.  Thank you for looking into this matter.

I was unable to paste in a picture, but if you go to google maps, put in M81 & Indiantown Rd., Mi, and then click on the image instead
of the map, you can rotate the photograph to see the sign that says "Deteriorating Road."  I did add an attachment with the picture.

Deteriorating_Road.jpg
(195.99 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

BarbNed
Send a message
Last edited by ldriveskier on Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved attachment inline to be visible

Post by Doryphore_6
https://doryphore6.com/images/IndiantownRd.png

The data we have doesn't currently support the claim the this route is slower due to road conditions.  The speeds on the road are still > 40MPH and since this route saves .7 miles, it will be, under typical circumstances, 10 seconds faster than continuing on M-81

Jeff

Doryphore_6
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by JB15TM
Hi. Thanks for the comment.

At a quick glance, there are homes on this road, so we can't remove it from routing. But there are other options we can consider.

Are you getting a route on this road as a "shortcut" between M-81 and Portsmouth Rd? If the road is in poor condition, as you suggest,
It would be odd for speeds on that road to be high enough that it would be faster than taking the higher class roads.

Thanks.
JB
JB15TM
Master Raider
Master Raider
Send a message