Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

TomTom carkit for iPhone

Post by robin1979
Will Waze work with the TomTom external GPS receiver which comes with the TomTom carkit?

( http://www.iphoneclub.nl/wp-content/upl ... ar-kit.jpg )
robin1979

POSTER_ID:8677

Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by chrobb
Would be really interested if someone could find something that definitively says that the Tom Tom does indeed boost the GPS signal for all applications on the iPhone. I'm really dubious that there's a system-wide API that allows third-party hardware to boost the GPS signal. I know Apple has allowed some sort of API for the dock connections, so perhaps that's coming into play, but AFAIK, there would need to be some higher level API to interact with the GPS system.

That seems unlikely to me, but good to know there's at least anecdotal report of signal boost.
chrobb
Send a message

Post by chrobb
sketch wrote:"Bluetooth connectivity does have its advantages: according to TomTom it can work as a generic Bluetooth GPS receiver for any satellite navigation app -- including Google Maps -- on the iPhone, or any smartphones at all for that matter."

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/29/tomt ... ne-review/

:D
That's intriguing, and a good find. I still question the distinction between "can" and "does". If the iPhone isn't being told to explicitly take advantage of the improved GPS signal, does it do it automatically? Or do the individual apps need to be written to take advantage of it?
chrobb
Send a message

Post by chrobb
OK, so a google search for Tom Tom Car Kit and Navigon reveals tons of posts that say folks are able to use Navigon on their iPod Touch (that doesn't have a GPS chip). That cinch's it. I'm off to buy one.
chrobb
Send a message

Post by co0lman
I have a TomTom carkit since a few days and it works perfect with Waze. Have used it a couple of times. Haven't had any problems at all.
co0lman
Send a message

Post by KW33D
I doubt this is high on their list to add to Waze / iPhone. My guess is that only TomTom knows how to code an app to work with it.
KW33D
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by paulmorrow
Hi all,

I am the poster of the "Waze and TomTom Car Kit" in the Italian subforum.

I own one of those Car Kits and use it on my road trips with Waze...
Don't know how technically works but I see improved GPS reception (Antenna is always green in my town with high buildings) whereas with my iPhone 3Gs alone placed in another support I usually get the orange Antenna with poor reception.

Hope this helps,
Paul
paulmorrow
Send a message

Post by robin1979
kwed wrote:I doubt this is high on their list to add to Waze / iPhone. My guess is that only TomTom knows how to code an app to work with it.
In the description (I don't blame you for not being able to read dutch :twisted: ) it says 'works with all applications', so I was kind of wondering if the just replaced the iPhone's GPS api with their own, so application would automagically pick up the new receiver.
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by robin1979
paulmorrow wrote:Hi all,

I am the poster of the "Waze and TomTom Car Kit" in the Italian subforum.

I own one of those Car Kits and use it on my road trips with Waze...
Don't know how technically works but I see improved GPS reception (Antenna is always green in my town with high buildings) whereas with my iPhone 3Gs alone placed in another support I usually get the orange Antenna with poor reception.
Paul,

Thank you. Do you have an USB connection in your car with the iPhone? If so, does that still work with the iPhone in the dock?
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by sketch
"Bluetooth connectivity does have its advantages: according to TomTom it can work as a generic Bluetooth GPS receiver for any satellite navigation app -- including Google Maps -- on the iPhone, or any smartphones at all for that matter."

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/29/tomt ... ne-review/

:D
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!