Lane closed

Post by ArnoutIE
I wanted to put 'lane closed' here, as Waze indicates two lanes straight and one lane right. But how do I do that?
Mind, I was turning right, so I don't know if both straight arrows would've been white or only the right one.
Also can't say that going straight isn't permitted, because it still is. Just one lane instead of two.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3635723 ... 384!8i8192 (from November, but they're still working there)
ArnoutIE

POSTER_ID:18086871

Send a message

Post by ArnoutIE
I wanted to report it in the app, but I didn't see the option. I don't want to mess around on the map before I know what I'm doing. Or what I can do, for that matter.

In the past I've seen a warning 'lane closed' (mostly on motorways and not in Ireland). Isn't that possible anymore?

I still think it would be appropriate, because if you're driving in the left lane, all of a sudden you have to merge to the right lane (that is before the lane to turn right becomes available).

Then again in this country there's a shortage of signs anyway to indicate merging is in order  :roll:

ArnoutIE
Send a message

Post by ArnoutIE
I never used any other navigation system with realtime information.
ArnoutIE
Send a message

Post by ArnoutIE
Looks interesting! Still no idea how it works, then again I've never edited a Waze map  :D
Thank you for responding here PJJvStrien.

@YanisKyr: I had asked about this in the Dutch subforum (which is why PJJvStrien became aware of the question), somebody there suggested to use Danger -> On the road -> Roadworks, so I'll do that next time I come across something. But will that work also for an extended amount of time, like this one where they've been working for months? Another example might be Strand Road, albeit different because that's temporarily (unless they use it as an excuse to make it permanent) one-way. Does that get reported or is somebody editing the map every time they shift down the road a bit?

ArnoutIE
Send a message

Post by PJJvStrien
YanisKyr wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:16 pm It would be better indeed, but it's not an option. Waze never had a 'lane closed' warning, so that might have been a different navigation system.

In the app there is indeed no such option. However, you can use a feed system to inject them to the map. I've added one here in The Hague for a closed lane:
PJJvStrien
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by PJJvStrien
screenshot_lc.jpg
(61.26 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
 It's displayed by one of the generic "something on the road" icons. If you pass it you'll receive a popup + voice warning of a lane closure. Pretty neat if the government uses live open feeds to display closed lanes on the highways and such, in The Netherlands this is fully automated on highways where matrix signs close a lane, but the feed gives a broad array of options to display for longer periodes of time on the map
PJJvStrien
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by YanisKyr
Hi there, we don't have an option to close a lane as such. But judging by the extend of the roadworks, we can edit the map to reduce the lane count altogether.

And if this changes again in the future, we can change it again in the map as well.

I see you are a Level 1 editor and unfortunately, at the moment, there is a technical issue that prevents L1 editors from making any edits. We are hoping this will be rectified soon. More info on the issue here viewtopic.php?t=359342

I've edited the lanes now to 2 (straight, right).

YanisKyr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... r-N-N5.gif
Coordinator & Booster for Cyprus | CM for Ireland | GC for the entire world

Post by YanisKyr
It would be better indeed, but it's not an option. Waze never had a 'lane closed' warning, so that might have been a different navigation system.

YanisKyr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by YanisKyr
Oh wow, that's interesting..! I had no idea.

How does it look in the app?
YanisKyr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by YanisKyr
Reports from the app are mostly short term in the sense that an algorithm decides how long they stay visible for. In my head, it seems to depend on a mix of "user reliability score" and positive/neutral/negative interractions (tap thumbs up/just drive by without interracting/tap not there). That's just my interpretation; I haven't seen a definition provided by Waze.

If users keep a report the thumbs up, it'll stick around for longer.

On the Strand Rd works, we get updates on the project by Irish Water and update the closures/restrictions as the roadworks move along. If users spot something out of order, and report it, that will help us fix it quickly. To be honest, they're pretty good with emails in advance of the changes so far :)

YanisKyr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message