Forum for requesting any unlocks, closures or fixes by a higher rank editor.
Please read "Posting Guidelines" before submitting your request.

Athlone junction R914 Roscommon Rd - R446 Galway Rd

Post by ArnoutIE
I was in Athlone last weekend and came across an outdated layout for this junction. It has now changed into a normal junction as visible on Google Streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/pSxw7cbTwzGcp5ZDA

I would have a go at it myself, if allowed, for which the segments need to be unlocked. But since I've never done any editing it might be a good idea anyway to discuss it first. I would do the following:

Delete the segments 103864544119302483 and 119302476 
Extend the segments 292791561162331912 and probably by a tiny bit 162374430 (otherwise 292791561 ends up being crooked)
Set up the relevant permitted left turn/right turn/going straight on the newly joined segments.

Is that how it's done?

ArnoutIE

POSTER_ID:18086871

Send a message

Post by ArnoutIE
For a major junction it's surprising how long it has taken for someone to notice, as it's changed about four years ago based on the Streetview imagery. But I guess most people just deal with it, it's not a major change.

If that's how it needs to be done :( , then go ahead. I'll stick to the sandbox for now.
ArnoutIE
Send a message

Post by ArnoutIE
Hi David,

First time for me in Athlone, so maybe that helped, as it looked like a quirky situation even before we reached the junction (we were driving down Roscommon Road towards Galway road, to turn right) and it got quirkier when it turned out to be a normal one, so I screenshotted it to have a look at it later. My wife was driving while I was telling her where to go, so I had plenty of time to stare at my phone, maybe that helps too.

If I come across something like this, I'd like to be able to fix it and I had already started to work my way through that topic you're referring to. I understand though that if a newbie accidentally messes up something, the Waze community prefers to see that happen to a minor road rather than an important one. I don't know if there's a way to reverse any incorrect changes (like Wikipedia where you can go back to an earlier version of a given wiki)?

To devote a lot of time to editing is not possible for me right now. Between a family, work, studying and looking where we want to move to (and actually moving when the decision and the mortgage are there), there's not much time left.

KR, Arnout
ArnoutIE
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi Arnout,

Thanks for pointing out this junction. I drive through this junction occasionally (once or twice a year), and last went through late last summer. I must have been asleep though, because I didn't notice the changed layout at the time. I usually have sound turned off in Waze though (my child complains otherwise...) so it's easy to miss such things.

If you'd like to get into map editing, we have lots of resources to help get you started. See this forum post with a pile of links: <viewtopic.php?t=282716>

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
Hey Arnout,

We do try to lock as little as possible, but we do lock higher-value roads (motorways, N- and R- roads). However R- roads (for example) are just locked at level 2, which means that, although a total newbie can't edit them, anybody who's done a decent amount of editing can edit them.

Even for the locked roads, you can request an unlock (you've already seen the subforum for that): if you know the basic of editing (and can convince the person who's doing the unlocking :) ) then they'll unlock the segments for you and check what you've done afterwards.

Unfortunately, there's no undo to reverse changes, which is why we're a little careful with the more major roads.

In terms of time: some people do spend hours editing every day, but others just do a bit here and there, so there's absolutely no need to devote a lot of time once you've learned the important principles of editing. 

++David

davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by YanisKyr
Hi ArnoutIE, thanks for reaching out. That is exactly how that's done, you're spot on.

Unfortunately though, since this is a major junction, we wouldn't unlock the segments to L1 but instead put the change in our end. Hope that's alright :)
YanisKyr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... r-N-N5.gif
Coordinator & Booster for Cyprus | CM for Ireland | GC for the entire world