[Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.5 Nov 16

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: [Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.4.2 Oc

Postby paulwelch23 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:41 am

Tim,

This script is simply awesome! Thank you so much for creating this wonder. It is so useful and you deserve high praise! I have been using it for a few weeks and I have found it to be immensely powerful and it gives me absolutely no problems.

You are the bomb! Thank you so much!
paulwelch23

Postby CrackedLCD » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:27 am

Timbones wrote:Maybe. Problem is, we don't have 'states' in my country (rest of the world), despite us begging Waze for 3 years.

Can you post some example permalinks?

Here's a permalink I found in the state of Mississippi. This is just a minor road; I fixed most of the examples in this area already. There had been a good 10-15 km of roads with the wrong state name east of this small town.

Crazy thing is, it isn't near a state line. Grenada is a good 120 miles from any state line at all!

I also edit in Alabama and Florida and find that Waze offers a choice of both states for a long distance past the state line. Waze obviously knows where the state lines are drawn, because if we edit these incorrect segments and don't change the state, it throws an error.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Timbones » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:07 am

mike-bronner wrote:would it be possible to add a highlight selector for states? I am editing in one of those states that have been thoroughly mixed up with a neighboring state, and would love to highlight out all the errant state segments.

Maybe. Problem is, we don't have 'states' in my country (rest of the world), despite us begging Waze for 3 years.

Can you post some example permalinks?
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby foxitrot » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:11 pm

mike-bronner wrote:...would it be possible to add a highlight selector for states? I am editing in one of those states that have been thoroughly mixed up with a neighboring state...

I'm supporting this too. I live and edit just at the borderline...

(I was already thinking hard of spinning a modified copy of the City highlight selector, but after looking at the code and thinking of having to regularly patch the approx. hundred of tiny changes with each new version of the script...)
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mike-bronner » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi Tim,

Forgive me if the has been asked and answered already: would it be possible to add a highlight selector for states? I am editing in one of those states that have been thoroughly mixed up with a neighboring state, and would love to highlight out all the errant state segments.

Thanks!
~Mike
mike-bronner

Postby skbun » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:47 pm

TheDane wrote:In Copenhagen I tried fixing a UR with a weird routing - and it turned out the segment had 8 (eight!!!) reverse connections and 2 u-turns (its a 167 m long segment) and also many of the neighboor segments had similar issues (maybe only 3- 6 reverse connections). I have not even looked at the soft turns - I agree they are way less important (at least initially).

I have highlighted two example sections in the link if anyone cares to have a look :-) The area is not fixed yet - simply gone on the To Do list...

Poking segment by segment around the greater Seattle area, I think my record for 'most reverse connections on a segment' was about 44, with several in that immediate area having 25+. I saw that and just had to laugh out loud. Before fixing it, that is!

As you say. The problem U-turns and reverse conns are out there. :lol: Those are the only two I'd want globally highlighted anyway. Soft turns aren't actually a problem worth proactively fixing, nor seeing globally! (But it's useful on single segment highligting, IMHO.)
skbun

Postby khaytsus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:19 am

Just wanted to drop a huge thank you for this script.. Louisville, KY has I71, I64, I-65, I-264, I-265, all piled on top of each other like dropped spaghetti, most of the roads had no cardinals, a lot of the exits were blank, many more were slightly inaccurate or not meeting current exit naming standards, etc..

Highlighting "last edited in N days" helped me keep track of what I'd done and not done and kept me sane, thank you. :)
khaytsus

Postby jondrush » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:16 pm

Timbones wrote: This was how it worked in an earlier version but it showed an awful lot of problems, most of which don't actually need fixing. I felt that showing all nodes with soft-turns would encourage editors to QW all of them, which adds little value to the map and increases the chance of turns being set incorrectly. Therefore, I took the decision to only show them for one node/segment at a time, for when a particular routing issue needs to be diagnosed.

I understand the issue, but it also helped experienced editor hone in on areas with a lot of problems. It was really valuable for that! Some suggestions:
-Could you make it so all selected segments show highlighting, like highlight-turn-restrictions worked in old cartouche?
-Could you detect the editors level and only turn on global highlighting for level 3 and above?
-Could you bring it back and integrate the junction fixer script as a button, so existing turn restrictions are not destroyed?
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby svx-biker » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:29 pm

Timbones wrote:Yes, this is correct. The Advanced Options only appear for Area Managers.

Ok, makes Sense. Not refreshing when changing the user isn't a problem as "normal" users won't do this anyway ;)
svx-biker
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Timbones » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:22 pm

svx-biker wrote:Just found that it's not related to the server but rather to the user. Is this intentional, i.e. a level(0) user has fewer options?

Yes, this is correct. The Advanced Options only appear for Area Managers.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor