Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

Postby CrackedLCD » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:24 pm

It's going to be difficult to prove that some people, in some places, are posting purposely wrong prices. Price volatility means that gas prices fluctuate here several times a day during certain times of the year.

Frankly, as long as the gas price feature is as half-baked as it is, it cannot be trusted for reliable prices at all. Between the lack of listing all stations in a given area, or listing them with the wrong name, or 3rd party prices being woefully incorrect, or the kludgy way of entering new prices, or the duplicates… it's simply not set up to be trusted.

Just in my community alone, it lists two closed stations, one of which hasn't sold gasoline in almost 10 years. But it fails to list another that's sorta-new and been open for 3-4 years. Yet, a station that's been open just 3 days gets listed. It's very confusing and odd.
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

HTC Droid DNA (Android 4.2.2) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD

Postby CrackedLCD » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:08 am

The 3rd party prices are very much hit or miss, but I think there's another bug at work. On more than one occasion I've seen my own name, "updated by CrackedLCD today" when I hadn't submitted prices yet. I conferred with another Wazer here and he has noticed the same issue. We're not faking prices but the system is acting like we've posted when we haven't.

Another oddity is I've noticed a LOT of submissions where the premium or diesel price is listed for regular, and the regular price is posted in one of the other boxes. How on earth does that even happen?
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

CrackedLCD

Postby CrackedLCD » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:51 pm

Twister_UK wrote:
CrackedLCD wrote:On more than one occasion I've seen my own name, "updated by CrackedLCD today" when I hadn't submitted prices yet. I conferred with another Wazer here and he has noticed the same issue. We're not faking prices but the system is acting like we've posted when we haven't.

Are these at stations where you've submitted prices within the last 24 hours? I get this a lot on stations I pass every day, where I'm passing by a few minutes earlier than I did the day before. At these sites, even though the UI says I updated today, I still get the 8 points for the update. I've only ever seen it happen once on a station that I'd never submitted a price for, and at this location it did behave as if I had already entered a price that day, not giving me the 8 points.

I do post the prices to the same stations daily, but not always within 24 hours. I'll have to pay closer attention but I think this may be what's happening. I usually update stations daily, give or take a few hours.

One oddity about the prices is you can continue to get 8 points, even updating your own already submitted prices, but only if you drive out of the area and return. Sticking around and doing it twice won't work. If someone else comes along and updates within a few minutes, you can also do it agian and get 8 more points. It's oddly generous in that regard.
~CrackedLCD

CrackedLCD

Postby CrackedLCD » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:16 pm

RichLather wrote:In my perfect world, the gas price feature would be handled by something more robust, like GasBuddy. I used this very often before getting Waze; there's more of a community updating prices there than there is on Waze, at least in my area.

I don't mind updating incorrect prices, knowing that Waze's native price feature isn't where it needs to be yet. My gripe is that I use Waze in landscape mode, mounted to a dashboard bracket. The interface on my Samsung Galaxy S III for price input is clunky, slow, and very ugly. The first time I tried it I thought something was wrong, and I input the same price for all fuel grades.

Let me guess — you tap on the station name, then on the grade of fuel you want to report, and… nothing happens. You have to tap on it twice? Maybe three times? That's how it does on my Galaxy S Showcase.
~CrackedLCD

CrackedLCD

Postby CrackedLCD » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:12 am

Hmm. Gas prices and Foursquare integration were down this evening for several hours. Did they do an update of the station database? I queried the prices and got a new station that (while several years old in reality) was not previously listed. Still got an error when trying to submit a price, though.
~CrackedLCD

CrackedLCD

Postby CrackedLCD » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:52 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
KS3J wrote:Is the ability to update the gas stations under development? It would make sense, since just about everything else in Waze is crowdsourced.

In addition, I have found quite a few gas stations in my area that are displaced as much as half a mile from their actual locations. Does moving the gas station landmark result in correct navigation, or is the incorrect position "sticky?"

All gas station info in the app is live connected to the editor. In tests, in fact, you can add a new station and immediately find it in the app. Seriously, it's immediate.

As for the search location, we've made Waze aware that the search location hasn't matched the actual landmark, and they are surpised. I haven't tested this recently, though. They are supposed to match completely, but there may be a bug in the system.

I noticed this the other day when I went to add a new station. It's across the street from an Exxon that was on the wrong spot on the map and never updated when I moved the landmark six months ago.

So when I saw how quickly the new station showed up, I deleted the old Exxon landmark and created a new one with the same details. Viola! Exxon is in the right location now... And still in the wrong location, too, lol. Maybe one day the landmarks will actually get synced properly and this mess will be solved.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 4
~CrackedLCD

CrackedLCD

Postby CrackedLCD » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:05 pm

jondrush wrote:Waze asked us not to delete the stations they created. They are aware of the problem with moved gas stations not updating.

I'm aware of that, I just got tired of waiting on this one issue to be fixed.

Today both of my new stations are gone but the old phantom location remains. I give up. If they actually gave a damn about this feature it would have been fixed by now.

Worse than that is the reporting feature which locks you out after five submissions, meaning there are a significant number of stations I can't update because of their stupid system. I'd rather the prices be accepted but get zero points than have prices that are wrong remain and the end user get a lie of a message, "network connection error".

Edit to add: I checked in the editor and the landmarks I created are still there, but the address and phone number data was blitzed. They are locked landmarks so it had to be the system itself that botched this. Very annoying.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4
~CrackedLCD

CrackedLCD

Postby CrackedLCD » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:44 am

So, my story just got goofier. The new gas station, for which I created a landmark since none previously existed? Yeah, Waze went ahead and created one too, in the wrong location again. Sigh. So now I have four stations showing up, but only the two I created are actually anywhere close to being correct.

To add insult to injury, they got the station name wrong. It's "Gulf-N-Golf" but Waze's version is "Gulf-N-Gulf". Dunno who does their database, but they are sloppy.

I went to at least correct their version and maybe move it to where it should be, but I can't find it, leading me to believe another user deleted the incorrect, misspelled entry already.

Oh well, until Waze gets their act together, I guess it's an extra free 16 point to anyone who discovers the "easter eggs". :geek:
~CrackedLCD

CrackedLCD

Postby CrackedLCD » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:53 am

deeggo wrote:That golf gulf thing may be a translation issue. We have had cases in Netherlands where a gas station named Total was displayed as Totaal. Totaal being the Dutch translation of the English word Total.

Beyond "why would they translate station names", why would they do it in the US to Dutch? Very strange. :mrgreen:
~CrackedLCD

CrackedLCD

Postby CrackedLCD » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:41 am

Are there any updates on the stability of the back end for gas prices? I did an 80 mile round trip today and was only able to report about 8 prices or of 64 stations. Most of the time it just failed outright ("Could not download data") or failed to locate the nearest station. A few times it lost GPS. Other times the station would come up but it would error out "Sorry could not update prices."

That last error, I might add, fails to post prices or award points but still counts against the five entries in five minutes limit, which is super stupid.

I also really wish they'd fix that massive lie where it says "network error" now after posting five prices successfully. They're purposely breaking it to limit submissions... There is no real error!

At least let me keep entering corrected prices even if you limit the points. That's fair!

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4
~CrackedLCD

CrackedLCD

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App