Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by CBenson
Its not uncommon around here for BGS near state boaders to include the state for a destination. Thus ramp names that copy the BGS crop up with state abbreviations around here.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
GizmoGuy411 wrote:In any case, can you guys provide a couple examples? Meanwhile I'll try to start from page one here and see if I can find a better rationale for "A"dding them.
Well most ramp names in Maryland are using MD for Maryland route numbers. This was started before TTS and has been kept due to the promise of voicing "MD" as "Maryland." If its never going to happen, maybe we should change to SH. There are some other ramps that use other state abbreviations like here, but many others spell out the state name in waze even though the BGS uses the abbreviation to accommodate the TTS. I read somewhere that the AASHTO wants signs in the northeast corridor to use "New York City" and "Washington DC" to avoid conflict with state names, but I can't verify that and its certainly not universal applied.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
CBenson wrote:I still get "Street Stephens Church Road" here without the period. (with Samantha)
Well, it does need the period. :)
CBenson wrote:I just retested "St Stephens Church Rd,"... and got "Saint".
This is driving me nuts. So waze routed me over St Stephens Church Rd (I haven't deleted the cache since the successful test) and I was given "Street Stephens Church Road," which is consistent with Alan's test that the period is needed. However, I cannot edit the road name to include the period. I add the period, save, refresh the page and the period is gone. Can anyone add the period to this road?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Before. Thanks for the help.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:I think we are all experiencing the same problem there. HD's name, and the period, are only on the southernmost segment. I tried myself.
Could be, but HD's wisdom was that if you change the geometry of the segment as well and save then the name change is saved and takes effect.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I haven't had much time recently to keep up with the forums or edit. But this ramp was enunciated "Exit right to exit to Maryland ... three ... eye ninety seven north ... Baltimore" for me. Is the expansion of state abbreviations like "MD" now universal? This was with Samantha.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:Was there a pause between Maryland and 3?
Yes, I would say there was.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Is this a typo?
GizmoGuy411 wrote: "NE-123" says "Northwest 123"
What's the current status of "SR-123?"
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
GizmoGuy411 wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if the "cc@tts" command is not always clearing the cache correctly.
Me too. When I was having problems with St. = Street, it didn't correct to Alan's result until I deleted the local_nuance_8_mp3_Samantha_Female folder from my phone.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote: Street names should still match signs. If it says "Louis XIV" use "Louis XIV". No one is going to think to search for their aunt's house at 1234 Louis The 14th St", and it's going to look wrong on the client display.
And you get URs like this.
Fourth.png
(10.84 KiB) Downloaded 584 times
Edit: So for this example, I looked at street view to confirm the signs use the word. I also looked at the county GIS site to see what they used. I was amused to see that it depends on the zoom level.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message