The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Closed Road while Road works

Post by
Hi i'm missing the Option to report closed roads cause of road works

or do i have some tomato's on my eyes?

Cheers
Cenk :?:

POSTER_ID:9154529

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
If they are long-terms closures, the roads can be disconnected in the editor. See the guidelines in the wiki for more, too.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I usually do a disconnect or depending on the situation, just delete the road being changed especially if it is not going to exist in the future either. I don't rely on turn restrictions very often because they are not foolproof an Waze can and does route through them if it calculates a lower penalty for doing so.

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
vnikolic wrote:A reporting option on the phone would be fantastic, rather than having to edit maps later on. This way anyone could report it, and Wase could reroute and recalculate routes accordingly.
I think this would be useful but there must be very strict controls around it. Can you imagine how much Waze would suck if just 1 or 2 people in a high volume freeway decide to post a road closed causing Waze to try to reroute people off the freeway for hours?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
WeeeZer14 wrote:If there are enough Wazer's, it shouldn't be an issue.
This and other things are what I meant by "there must be very strict controls."
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
We now need to find out what Waze plans to do with the "Road Closed" report type just added to the app in the iOS beta.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mouseRider wrote:Perhaps a COMMENT field in the Map Editor would be another great feature to have to allow contributors to attach a comment to certain changes.

The unpredictability of the LiveMap update schedule is probably the one thing that would toss a wrench into any effort to get the maps beneficially up-to-date with construction closures and even more so for short-term and very-short-term closures—All of which could be a great advantage to Wazers if they are accurately reflected in a timely manner.
Map editor annotations have been requested and Waze supposedly has it on the roadmap, but it's not going to happen soon. There is a 3rd party "solution" used by editors on the World server.

As of June, the LiveMap absolutely cannot be counted on. I found that it recently changed to show "9/3/2012" in my area, but it has roads showing at all zoom levels which I deleted back in early June. Only use the app to see what the current state of the map is.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Caradellino wrote:
CrackedLCD wrote: it wouldn't even show up in the map since it's not updated but once in a blue moon
...therefore it has to be a client-based solution, i don't think, there's a way around it. Imagine the Fuel prices had to be managed via WME... :roll:
For now, yes. In the old days, we could get a map update about weekly, so planning closures was pretty easy from the mapping standpoint. Coming up, when Waze is able to get to twice weekly updates, map-based closures will again be fairly easy to accomplish and time it pretty close to the actual closure.

But, for unplanned events, client-side reporting is essential.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
tdsm wrote:Any news on this, guys?
Waze warning you about traffic jams ahead is great. Getting stuck in the city because of closed roads = :x :evil:
Nope. No new beta is out. I think it will be a while. It's likely the developers are working on the next map editor and then work on the app again. That's all conjecture as they don't usually tell us what's next.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Caradellino
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:If they are long-terms closures, the roads can be disconnected in the editor.
You could also change the turn-restrictions to exclude temporary closed roads froum routing.

But either disconecting or manipulating turn restictions...you'll have to wait for an update to get it into effect. So if a road ist closed for about a week you can't really do something in Waze (Alan, please correct me, if I'm wrong)
CrackedLCD wrote:I really hope the Waze crew can add that option at some point.
I absolutely agree and second your motion...
We had a long-term construction zone here in Vienna, Austria, with aditional speed cams and reduced speed limits - after its clearance the community had everything changed back to normal in aproximatly no time ;) ...
...still I am enjoying warnings for no more existing speedcams for about 2 weeks now because there was no update of the Livemap since.

Don't get me wrong, Waze has still the far fastest Updates, but as far as I see it: temporary road closures can't be dealt with in the moment.
Caradellino
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Greets...and keep on wazing
Caradellino, CM for:
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/Common ... /Mysig.png
AT-Wiki | Team Austria | Wie Waze Routen kalkuliert
Australian Wiki
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Post by Caradellino
CBenson wrote:If waze can't tell when a high volume freeway isn't closed, there not using their data very well.
Not necessarily...as far as I see it Waze just tracks Wazers and not TMC. If the Wazers avoid a "closed" road, Waze won't notice any traffic - therefore how would they get the information? In other words there is no data to use in that matter.
Caradellino
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Greets...and keep on wazing
Caradellino, CM for:
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/Common ... /Mysig.png
AT-Wiki | Team Austria | Wie Waze Routen kalkuliert
Australian Wiki
Samsung Galaxy Note 3