Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:59 pm

GizmoGuy411 wrote:Ill add it to the list to show obedience that actually works correctly. Is that the exact capitalization and punctuation?

That's why I permalinked it, so others could look... It is "St Mary St" without the quotes... 2 of the 3 segements were last updated on Mon Jun 25 2012 & the 3rd (middle) was last touched even earlier (Thu Mar 08 2012)...
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Ill add it to the list to show obedience that actually works correctly. Is that the exact capitalization and punctuation?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:34 pm

I can report that "St Mary St" in Hamden, CT says "Saint Mary Street" in TTS... I drove it twice to confirm... (Permalink)
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:43 pm

"Int'l" for "International" added to WME on 8/28/2012... Made map update on 9/4/2012... TTS reads it the same as "Intl" saying "untell"...
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Binky71 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:43 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:(Do the) The signs actually read "Gd Rapids" and "Gd River"? Either way, I don't see a good reason why we should abbreviate it. It's not like it takes up a lot of screen space to spell out Grand vs Gd and who knows if/when Waze will ever update the abbreviations list. It's better to have it read it out loud correctly than have the text match the sign 100%, IMO.

The point is well taken. The signs often do say "Gd" instead of "Grand". I've been putting them in as Grand. But if we want them to match the signs, then we should eventually make the change.
Binky71

Postby mapcat » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Someone pointed out that TTS has no idea what to do with "Trfwy", an abbreviation used for "Trafficway" in the Kansas City area. Trfwy is used on BGS, so even though it's geographically limited, it's still worth adding to the list.
mapcat

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:40 am

It appears that Dist is not pronounced as District. Based on other threads spelling it out I assume that has never been converted to an abbreviation so I will spell it out on the Ramp name.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:14 pm

harling wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I think it would still be worth it to verify things like 41st St, 141st St, and other combinations that combine "rd" and "Rd" like 33rd Rd, 63rd Rd, etc. I would figure if one or two pass, others will too.

I'm willing to bet that "33rd Rd" and "33 rd Rd" will be pronounced differently.

I would expect that as well. Because it is not formatted properly.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:16 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I think it would still be worth it to verify things like 41st St, 141st St, and other combinations that combine "rd" and "Rd" like 33rd Rd, 63rd Rd, etc. I would figure if one or two pass, others will too.

I'm willing to bet that "33rd Rd" and "33 rd Rd" will be pronounced differently.

Finally, no post of mine to this thread would be complete without an appeal, yet again, to make all TTS pattern-matching non-positional. When navigating by address to (for example) 52 Main St in Boston, upon arrival, TTS says "Arriving at fifty-two main saint boston, at fifty-two main street." Note that the same "St" that is pronounced as "street" when it is the last word in the text, is pronounced "saint" when another word is appended to the string.
harling

Postby floppyrod84 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:12 pm

The standard TTS setup for vocalizer handles this fine, so I'd assume the nav version should do all the ordinal numbers too.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

PreviousNext

Return to United States