Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Re: Roman numerals

Postby dbraughlr » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:37 am

GizmoGuy411 wrote:Therefore we may need to follow suite for the letters used for Roman Numerals too.

From what you listed, there are thousands of them. That's clutter.
What range do you really intend to cover?

GizmoGuy411 wrote:So maybe Roman Numerals could use a period after them instead of quotes to differentiate them.

That doesn't seem likely, at least not if you intend to cover a range beyond 1 to 30.

What's wrong with using Louis the 14th instead of Louis XIV.? If anything, our experience with N/E/S/W should tell us that it was a bad precedent that should not be expanded.
dbraughlr

Re: search by numeral

Postby dbraughlr » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:21 pm

sketch wrote:Street names should still match signs. If it says "Louis XIV" use "Louis XIV". No one is going to think to search for their aunt's house at 1234 Louis The 14th St", and it's going to look wrong on the client display.

So where the signs say "First St", "Second St", etc, and Waze has "1st St", "2nd St", etc, that is wrong, looks wrong in the client, and causes searches to fail? Is this written is our road naming standard somewhere?

It seems to me that the fuzzy search engines can treat "XIV" as a synonym for "14" and search correctly.

Of course, writing "the 14th" instead of "XIV" goes back to the matter of pronunciation and how to get "Louis" spoken as "Louie" which would be a good way to handle pronunciation of Roman numerals too.
dbraughlr

Postby dbraughlr » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:32 pm

GizmoGuy411 wrote:I agree with sketch in that I am really not very concerned about Roman Numerals and that the letters themselves are more important at least for North America using the English voices.

We all agree.

GizmoGuy411 wrote:What I am MORE concerned with is why these variations exist in the first place and if they are indicators of some bad RegEx that needs to be addressed at the Waze end, as other parts of the world may need Roman Numerals.

Scrapping Roman numerals is a good way to avoid the bugs and problems they cause.

GizmoGuy411 wrote:Actually I don't think there are many more instances than those I listed as potential conflicts with Roman Numerals. This was limited to valid Roman Numerals, not simply every possible combination of letters used in Roman Numerals. I'll edit that in the prior post.

The highest number you gave in the prior post was MM. In order for that range of Roman numerals to work, all 2000 combinations from "I.", "II.", to "MCMXCIX.", "MM." would have to be defined as abbreviations.
That seems unrealistic. That's why I suggested an upper limit like 30.
dbraughlr

Re: search by numeral

Postby dbraughlr » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:20 am

I expect a search to succeed even with a synonym, e.g., "first" = "1st" "eighty four" = "84".
I'm not particular about how it looks.
dbraughlr

Postby dbraughlr » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:16 pm

I favor eliminating all Roman numerals as abbreviations. The disadvantages far outweigh any advantages. Pronunciation of "XIV" can be addressed when the pronunciation of "Louis" is addressed.
dbraughlr

Postby dbraughlr » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:32 am

sketch wrote:Unless "Louis" is pronounced neither the English nor the French way, it cannot be "fixed". In some places one will be right, and in others the other, but no universal fix is possible.

Another proposal in another thread addressed this; I'm pretty sure you were there.
dbraughlr

Re: state abbreviations

Postby dbraughlr » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:34 pm

sketch wrote:BGSes usually use the old-fashioned abbreviations, and I think it'd be nice to include those, with periods only, as TTS abbreviations – for example Ala. for Alabama, La. for Louisiana, Calif. for California, Penna. and/or Pa. for Pennsylvania, and so forth.

Having the period is good. I couldn't say what is usual, though. I've not seen Conn that I recall. So I think CT is the usual. NY, DC, NJ, and NC, are prevalent.
dbraughlr

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby dctdye » Wed May 29, 2013 8:14 pm

I'm assuming this is a known bug/naming problem with the spacing but today i was told to stay right onto us-280 instead of U.S. I *think* it was this ramp:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... nts=956781
Area Manager- Tuscaloosa/Northport, AL

dctdye

Postby dctdye » Wed May 29, 2013 8:24 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
dctdye wrote:I'm assuming this is a known bug/naming problem with the spacing but today i was told to stay right onto us-280 instead of U.S. I *think* it was this ramp:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... nts=956781

You need to have spaces on both sides of the slash characters, per the naming guidelines.

Figured it was something simple like that. That's hopefully fixed now. Thanks :D

dctdye

Postby dctdye » Wed May 29, 2013 8:33 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
dctdye wrote:Figured it was something simple like that. That's hopefully fixed now. Thanks :D

I noted others in the area, too. You'll probably be going around fixing a bunch now?

Later today or tomorrow. Ah, the editing never ends. Also, hopefully they are all level 3 or below segments.

dctdye

PreviousNext

Return to United States