Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby DonJ2 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:51 am

AndyPoms wrote:I can report that "Arpt" in Hartford, CT says "Airport" in TTS...

Yuke, It almost looks like apartment.
DonJ2

Postby DonJ2 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:47 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I don't think we should have Waze relying on positional pronunciation. It's just bound to fail. If we make it a standard that "St" is "street" and "St." is "saint" then we know exactly how it will be pronounced regardless of where it is in the street name.

+1, I agree.
DonJ2

Postby MarionOaks » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:24 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
xteejx wrote:Any chance we can have Saint back the way it was, ie St at the start. Annoying work if we have to change them all!

I don't think we should have Waze relying on positional pronunciation. It's just bound to fail. If we make it a standard that "St" is "street" and "St." is "saint" then we know exactly how it will be pronounced regardless of where it is in the street name.

That would make TTS so much more reliable (once all the St are changed to st.'s that is) I'd like this, especially for exits. Exit ##: to St Something will possibly say to Street Something, instead of Saint Something as an example. But if we make it St. Something, with the TTS standard being that, it should read to Saint Something.
MarionOaks

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:58 am

xteejx wrote:Any chance we can have Saint back the way it was, ie St at the start. Annoying work if we have to change them all!

I don't think we should have Waze relying on positional pronunciation. It's just bound to fail. If we make it a standard that "St" is "street" and "St." is "saint" then we know exactly how it will be pronounced regardless of where it is in the street name.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:00 am

Yep, I can confirm that Penn St comes out as "Pennsylvania St" and should not be confused with Pennsylvania Ave.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:59 pm

I can report that "Arpt" in Hartford, CT says "Airport" in TTS... I drove these ramps all the time... (Permalink & Permalink as well as a few other ramps in the area)
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:56 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
jondrush wrote:How do I keep Penn St from being announces as Pennsylvania street?

Is it "Penn Street" or "Penn State" you are trying to do?

Are you sure "Penn" comes out as "Pennsylvania"? That style abbreviation isn't on the TTS test list for state names at all... I guess I'll have to add "Conn" to see if it comes out "Connecticut", although I'd think it either comes out "Conn" or "Connector"...

I was just digging through the list, and found "Penn" does actually come out as "Pennsylvania" (it's under P, not under the states list). It's tagged as an R for removal, but who knows when that may (or may not) happen...
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:43 pm

I just confirmed this as working on Sept 6, 2012(viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15178&start=230#p237398)...
AndyPoms wrote:I can report that "St Mary St" in Hamden, CT says "Saint Mary Street" in TTS... I drove it twice to confirm... (Permalink)
Last edited by AndyPoms on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby floppyrod84 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:38 pm

Any chance we can have Saint back the way it was, ie St at the start. Annoying work if we have to change them all!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:35 pm

jondrush wrote:How do I keep Penn St from being announces as Pennsylvania street?

Is it "Penn Street" or "Penn State" you are trying to do?

Are you sure "Penn" comes out as "Pennsylvania"? That style abbreviation isn't on the TTS test list for state names at all... I guess I'll have to add "Conn" to see if it comes out "Connecticut", although I'd think it either comes out "Conn" or "Connector"...
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to United States