Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:14 am

That was the idea behind section 1.1 and 1.2, but do any of the other landmarks help navigation? I can certainly see them on my client app when using the map to find a location nearby some point of reference I do know. I have not been able to navigate to a landmark (besides gas stations) using the Waze results under navigate search results, so I assume that is not operational. I have not searched for any prior discussion on that capability if someone wants to chime in if they know. Therefore if you know the general area you can use the map to scroll to a spot and then say navigate to this point on the map. I have used that and it did work.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mapcat » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:57 am

Definitely add something about which landmarks are necessary, which ones are useful in certain circumstances, and which ones are nothing but useless clutter.
mapcat

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:44 am

I think it is a great idea to add the cumulative information from the forums into a single Wiki page as you mentioned.

I think we can cover an outline something like the following:

1. What is the purpose of a Waze landmark
1.1. Preventing false traffic flow reports on roads adjacent parking lots
1.2. Marking Gas stations (where enabled)
1.3. Aiding navigation searches
1.4 (Others?)
2. How to create a landmark - Discuss proper layout etiquette
3. How to edit a landmark - Discuss basic geometry node movement, add, delete
4. Landmark types - Discuss how important it may or may not be to pick the right type (beyond gas station and parking lot)
4.1. We should add info on how previously created landmarks used a default category which has changed causing some landmarks to be listed as gas stations in the most recent client update.

Any other things we should cover here? Once we get some feedback, one of us can post here that they started to create it so we don't replicate the work. Then we can update the page as necessary if more changes come up.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Re: Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Postby davipt » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:42 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
Timbones wrote:
davipt wrote:Here's a case of mall+plot example

I don't think the parking lot landmark in this example should be touching the Freeway. For one thing there's a huge green area separating the two.

Exactly...it's just bad form. Especially when the N249-2 was so carefully avoided.

It's a question of who owns the land. Next to the freeway (north side) the green area (a small hill, the freeway is some 10m higher than the street of the mall) belongs to the shopping map - meaning from the freeway one can only see the mall -, but the area between the mall and the N249-2 to the left is some other industry I can't recall to take note when I pass by, and hence it should have another landmark between the N249-2 and the mall's parking lot. If the green area would be some kind of public green park it would then be a separate landmark.

In simpler words, I tend to draw landmarks with the satellite layer disabled, so it looks nice on the client without affecting the real world. And hence why I always snap to the streets unless the landmark is a well known design potentially identifiable on the client.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:16 pm

Timbones wrote:

I don't think the parking lot landmark in this example should be touching the Freeway. For one thing there's a huge green area separating the two.

Exactly...it's just bad form. Especially when the N249-2 was so carefully avoided.
jasonh300

Postby Timbones » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:56 pm

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:13 pm

skbun wrote:Just for the record, the water itself shows in the client, but names don't unless editors added water objects. Have a look yourself. They DO show in Livemap, but I've never seen anything suggesting they are the 'same layer'. Are we sure about this?
I've seen the names of both the Connecticut River and Wethersfield Cove appear on the map - neither of them have had landmarks in the last year.

skbun wrote:If I had to guess, I'd say that Waze's water data came from the dataset you can see at http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/nhd.html?p=nhd .
Waze's water data came from the US TIGER maps (just like the roads did).

skbun wrote:We can see two different generated static vector images generated from this data on the Livemap and on the client...

I'd guess that the one on the Livemap got slightly higher granularity when generated, say...to make sure that water objects that are 75x75ft or larger show up on the map, in general - and it has names associated with the objects that are exactly the same as they appear in the NHD data. (E.g. 'Lk Fenwick' at http://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=15&la ... yers=BTTTT ). The one in the Waze client is slightly LESS granular...its accuracy is to objects about 100x100ft, and to the best of my knowledge, those names were NOT imported or if they were, they're not visible. Stuff that's smaller overall, like small rivers or creeks, don't show up at all by either standard even though they are present and named in the NHD.
The livemap hasn't been visually updated in quite a while (well before Waze started working on the water layer), so we can't trust that as a reference source.

Like I said, let's let the Waze staff finish their water layer work and THEN we can discuss what to do about the water layer and water landmarks.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby skbun » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:10 am

AndyPoms wrote:The water layer already contains names and they display in the client. Waze is also currently working on the water layer (starting with the coast lines) and we don't want to interfere with that work. The national language will reflect that and leave the door open to reevaluate once Waze completes this work.

Just for the record, the water itself shows in the client, but names don't unless editors added water objects. Have a look yourself. They DO show in Livemap, but I've never seen anything suggesting they are the 'same layer'. Are we sure about this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
skbun

Postby DG567 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:09 am

jasonh300 wrote:I've been asking the developers to make the parking lot roads much less visible in the client...

That would be very good. Especially as some editors map every lane.

There was a suggestion made in 'thoughts and ideas' to allow free-roaming within a parking lot landmark - so that the landmark itself acts as a perimeter and you are not snapped to any road outside of it. Inside, your true position could be shown irrespective of any mapped lanes.
DG567
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Scruffy151 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:33 pm

DG567 wrote:
pitzikun wrote:I'm personally going to delete road'ed parking lots that fit the jumbled mess criteria and replace with landmarks. Then on the main roadway, put very short road segments to denote where a parking lots entrance and exit is located.

That's ok for wazers driving TO the parking lot, but Waze will place you on the nearest road which may be outside the lot, so when you are LEAVING, your route may start from the wrong place if you are parked near the edge. You need to map parking lot roads around or through it to prevent this happening.

I have played with full grided parking lots, landmark only lots and a couple of steps in between. I personally have found that landmarks are no help when driving. A full grid is the most helpful however some/many of the roads take forever to get data and stay in a pac-man state long enough to be irritating. So from my experience I have come to the conculsion that the minimalist guidelines in the wiki are slightly too bare and like to add about every 4th road or so to the lot.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion