Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Postby mapcat » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:54 pm

Thanks for taking the lead here, Andy.

I agree with most of what you've included. AFAIK the inaccessible water layer exists only in the USA, so anywhere else (including Canada) water features do need to be mapped. Some features are missing in the USA also, so there's nothing wrong with adding some more where useful.

Regarding parks, what do you mean by "as long as it's not too big where it interferes with other landmarks/roads"? Every park will have some roads in it. National Parks absolutely should be mapped, regardless of size. They're destinations. Parking lot landmarks suppress traffic, and possibly gas stations, but I don't think any others do.

Some of the others you say should be mapped (police station, clinic) may be so small that they will never show up, so it may not matter whether or not they're mapped.

I don't think bridges (or tunnels) should be mapped as landmarks. Instead, the street name should be switched from the highway number to the name of the bridge.
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:26 pm

mapcat wrote:I agree with most of what you've included. AFAIK the inaccessible water layer exists only in the USA, so anywhere else (including Canada) water features do need to be mapped. Some features are missing in the USA also, so there's nothing wrong with adding some more where useful.
That's why I labeled it "USA" and not "NA"... There will always be exceptions to the rules, and this would be a great place to put - "before you map it, make sure it isn't already in the app as many waterways already are"

mapcat wrote:Regarding parks, what do you mean by "as long as it's not too big where it interferes with other landmarks/roads"? Every park will have some roads in it. National Parks absolutely should be mapped, regardless of size. They're destinations.
I was refering to this series of posts (starting at the bottom of page 1 in this topic)
shawndoc wrote:I have a question. How should national forest land be covered? Currently, its one GIGANTIC landmark in the client. The problem I'm running into, is there are numerous cities within this gigantic landmark. And its impossible for me to select any existing landmarks, as any time I try to click on one, the National Forest landmark is selected instead. Do we really need landmarks that cover hundreds of square miles of mountain land, including all forest, roads, etc?
daknife wrote:I'd say National Forest should NOT be landmarked, A National Park or Monument yes but not a forest. Besides how are they accounting for private land mixed in with the National Forest? Well based on your complaint about towns inside the "landmark" not at all, but that is an issue. I vote to delete such a landmark.

mapcat wrote:Parking lot landmarks suppress traffic, and possibly gas stations, but I don't think any others do.
Gas Stations do suppress traffic from what I've seen... and both suppress problem reports (but for parking lots, would parking lot roads be a better option...

mapcat wrote:Some of the others you say should be mapped (police station, clinic) may be so small that they will never show up, so it may not matter whether or not they're mapped.
Good idea for the general rules section... Minimum size visible...

mapcat wrote:I don't think bridges (or tunnels) should be mapped as landmarks. Instead, the street name should be switched from the highway number to the name of the bridge.
I really want to see how shields are handled before deciding on this one... I did a few test ones here in CT, and it seems to work - you get one name for the bridge, it's smaller than the road name font (see screenshot below)...

But like my first line says, those were just my opinions/ideas...
Attachments
Bridge_Screen.png
Bridge_Screen.png (500.91 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CrackedLCD » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:07 pm

AndyPoms wrote:What are your thoughts on which parking lots to map & how to map them? We need to have a discussion to figure this stuff out...

I'm still sorta new, so I don't know a whole lot about what affects what just yet, like whether drawing parking lot roads will suppress traffic information as well as a drawn parking lot landmark. So I can't really comment on which is more appropriate. But I'm only for drawing/mapping large shopping mall parking lots, or commuter lots, or parking garages. I've tried to use the parking lot landmark feature to suppress traffic reports and errors in smaller lots and it won't stick if it's not above a certain minimum size. I really don't know the solution other than to draw parking lot roads on tiny but otherwise high traffic off the road areas.

Personally I would like to see the parking lots mapped only over parking areas, and a separate landmark could be drawn for shopping malls or other nearby large buildings. I'm not sure how it'd look on the map, though. I think I'm going to do a test case at a small shopping strip near here and see how it looks once the map updates.
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jasonh300 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:03 pm

CrackedLCD wrote:Personally I would like to see the parking lots mapped only over parking areas, and a separate landmark could be drawn for shopping malls or other nearby large buildings. I'm not sure how it'd look on the map, though.

Check out Edgewater Mall in Biloxi, MS. I drew in the mall separately from the parking lot. Waste of time. There's no obvious difference on the client.

I could've just drawn one large landmark around the perimeter, set it as Parking Lot, and named it Edgewater Mall and it would have have the same effect.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CrackedLCD » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:27 am

jasonh300 wrote:
CrackedLCD wrote:Personally I would like to see the parking lots mapped only over parking areas, and a separate landmark could be drawn for shopping malls or other nearby large buildings. I'm not sure how it'd look on the map, though.

Check out Edgewater Mall in Biloxi, MS. I drew in the mall separately from the parking lot. Waste of time. There's no obvious difference on the client.

I could've just drawn one large landmark around the perimeter, set it as Parking Lot, and named it Edgewater Mall and it would have have the same effect.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

:| Aw, that's disappointing. I was hoping it would be contrasted or a different colour or brightness having two landmarks atop one another.

In that case, why should we even label malls and other big landmarks anything other than parking lot, if they all look the same?
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Scruffy151 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:57 am

CrackedLCD wrote:In that case, why should we even label malls and other big landmarks anything other than parking lot, if they all look the same?

Now that parking lot roads are fixed I don't use parking lot landmarks anymore. You can add in extra roads in cases where a landmark may have been needed before.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jasonh300 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:04 am

scruffy151 wrote:
CrackedLCD wrote:In that case, why should we even label malls and other big landmarks anything other than parking lot, if they all look the same?

Now that parking lot roads are fixed I don't use parking lot landmarks anymore. You can add in extra roads in cases where a landmark may have been needed before.

You certainly don't need a landmark if you draw the roads. Except in the case of a mall, which is typically marked with a landmark anyway, and is so large and has so few roads compared to paved area, that both are necessary. Might as well make the entire mall and parking lot one big PLot landmark.

That's what I've done for every mall besides Edgewater.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mssusa » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:28 am

I've marked malls as a single MALL landmark that covers the mall's parking lot to. In addition, I mapped the roads surrounding store fronts and the ones surrounding the parking lot and adjacent to the main roads, and marked them as parking lot roads.

I believe this should improve traffic detection, look great on the client and live map and support navigation into and out of the malls. However, I don't have enough wazers where I am to see if this really works.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby weeezer14 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:47 pm

For bridges, at first I was thinking I liked the landmark idea, BUT then I thought about traffic/accident reports. Seeing something pop up saying there is a jam on the George Washington Bridge is probably more useful than seeing I-95 as the location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

Postby ncc1701v » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:04 am

AndyPoms wrote:
    1.10 Bridge - Bridges can have names other than the name of the road, so maybe, leaning towards yes for major ones - certainly not every bridge. (i.e. George Washington Bridge in NYC - yes, Golden Gate Bridge in CA - yes, the bridge that takes Main St over the Railroad Tracks - no)
    1.11 Tunnel - Tunnels can have names other than the name of the road, so maybe, leaning towards yes for major ones - certainly not every tunnel.

Would these show up when navigating? I enjoy being a tourist and learning I'm going over the Koscziusko bridge, or the Pulaski bridge, but most of the time wouldn't most navigators just want clear directions to their destination? Do these help with navigation? Would they be seen as clutter?
WeeeZer14 wrote:For bridges, at first I was thinking I liked the landmark idea, BUT then I thought about traffic/accident reports. Seeing something pop up saying there is a jam on the George Washington Bridge is probably more useful than seeing I-95 as the location.

Would the traffic report appear on the landmark, not the road name?
... and the "v" is for Volvo.
ncc1701v

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion