Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Report bad editors

Post by
Is there any way to report people abusing the editor to gain points?

I have a user in my area who seems to be going through, deleting intersections, and then improperly redoing them. This guy's stuff is easy to catch because he doesn't try to make anything match the actual streets; he just uses short straight segments of which he leaves at least one red (even weirder they all show up with as being in Alabama when this is in Pittsburgh. I noticed he redid one of mine like this today; I've sent him a PM but he's never posted on the forums so I doubt he'll respond.

POSTER_ID:5184532

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
shawndoc wrote:Just had new roads I was drawing in default to Mexico for the country. This was in Northern Fresno, CA. A good 5 hour drive from Mexico.
Look for the possible other segments assigned to Mexico nearby. This will influence the country available in the drop-down. Mexico comes first alphabetically, and just like the state drop-down, the default is the first alphabetically.

Country creep can happen just like city creep. Other countries deal with it a lot more than NA editors do.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
shawndoc wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Look for the possible other segments assigned to Mexico nearby. This will influence the country available in the drop-down. Mexico comes first alphabetically, and just like the state drop-down, the default is the first alphabetically.
I tried to, but it was in a heavily built up area, and neither the highlight script nor the new Extended Tools have a way to highlight based on country. :( I clicked around for several minutes, but couldn't find any nearby segments with Mexico as the country.
Could you post a permalink where you saw this happen? I want to check it out.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
shawndoc wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Okay...near borders, I've seen the option. But only of the two bordering states. I don't see why shawndoc should ever see an option for Alabama where he's editing (California).
Just to prove I'm not crazy. I added a new road today, and it defaulted to Alabama.
alabama.jpg
For non-American's, Tustin, CA is roughly 3,000 km from Alabama.
The reason for this is there is Tustin, AL defined in the street database from previous incorrect editing. These 5 segments have an alternate name which is Tustin for the City, but what you can't see in the interface is that the state defined for the "Tustin" used in this alternate name is Alabama. WMECH does show different city/state combinations for primary and alternate streets.

Segment 68531631 is associated with alternate street ID (streets are the parent object of segments) of 7717283, which is associated with City ID 50004, which is associated with State ID 1, which is defined as "Alabama."

You need to remove the alternate name for those 5 segments. Save, recreate. It may, by default, still pick up the wrong state for the alternate name because Alabama comes before California alphabetically. Hopefully, though, WME will pick the City ID for "Tustin" (2056) because that one is associated with State ID 6 (California).

If you find it assigns the alternate name to the wrong state again, we can submit this as a bug to Waze as WME should select the same State ID as the primary street ID, IMO.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
shawndoc wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: You need to remove the alternate name for those 5 segments. Save, recreate.
Thanks for finding that.
Those look ok now.

But there are other problems around there such as:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... s=61268451 has an alternate street which is not associated with any state.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... s=62237741 has Alabama in the alt street
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I did use the highlighter script for all of this. I did need to poke into the data structure to determine what the hiding data was to conclusively say why extra city/states are appearing in the menus for new segments.

iOS and Tapatalk have conspired to screw up this post.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
shawndoc wrote:Oh thanks. I didn't realize it picked up on alt cities. How do I tell which one is out of state when it shows the same city several times?
In the WME interface, you cannot. I can post you the code if you like, but as long as there aren't a lot of alt names, My suggestion is to remove them all, then add new ones. From the previous examples, it looks like it is picking up the local state name and not the Alabama one.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jasonh300 wrote:How are you determining what state the alt name is assigned to?
Currently, that can only be done in the console.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bigbear3764 wrote:Bet someone changed the road name on WME before they gave us the ability to edit the Alt names. They didn't feel like or want to go into Cartoche to do it.
Very likely, yes. The alternate street was added in Cartouche when the segment properties were wrong, such as wrong state, then saved. Alt inherits the primary. Even if they change the primary segment info in Cartouche or WME, the alt info isn't changed, and in Cartouche, you couldn't see what City was attached.

This is more evidence that, IMO, the alternate segments should always, and automatically inherit by default, all the primary segment meta info (city/state/country). This includes if the primary segment has its city/state/country changed, the WME should automatically change all alt streets. It's just cleaner and less prone to errors.

Some other editors have argued that for roads which are on city borders (one city owns one-half of the road split down the middle), that we should set alternate names for the other city. I say, "rubbish." That's not going to make any difference to driving. Waze doesn't care what city that segment is for navigation. I haven't yet heard a valid reason for having alternate streets have different city name than the primary.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The first thing to do is PM the user. I did this yesterday or the day before. It is not just from paving, I don't think as connections with existing roads with turn restrictions are set.

Tapatalk made me do it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dirgela wrote: support section I find no way to send a report as well, because when I describe the problem in quick help window "nanorep" says that my question is incoprehensible :evil: :evil: :evil:
Click the link to email support in the nanorep tool.

Tapatalk made me do it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message