Verizon LTE-iPhone5-SVD?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Verizon LTE-iPhone5-SVD?

Postby gettingthere » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:49 am

Exactly. Data is becoming or has become more important than voice. It's too bad the cellular companies will not let you have a data only package with the iPhone. This would be great.

There are lots of VOIP apps for iPhone. Viber seems to be pretty popular. Although to effectively use it to eliminate voice calls the person you are speaking to must have it also. It's free, no ads. There are many other options.

http://www.viber.com/
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1, Waze 4.4
Waze - PLEASE ADD CARPLAY SUPPORT
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby keeegs » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:25 pm

Kinda confusing why Apple wouldn't make the iPhone SVDO compatible, Verizon's network is capable of it, even with just 3g coverage I can still make a call and use data on my 4G Galaxy S3 on Verizon.

Verizon has by far has the largest LTE network (not to be confused with AT&T's statement that they have the largest 4g network, what they're referring to is HSPA+ (not nearly as fast as LTE)).

Be sure to check which carrier covers you.

www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/coverage-locator
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=data
West Michigan Area Manager
Moto X 4.4.4 - Vzw
keeegs
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bkayrac » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:35 am

captnkeegs wrote:Kinda confusing why Apple wouldn't make the iPhone SVDO compatible, Verizon's network is capable of it, even with just 3g coverage I can still make a call and use data on my 4G Galaxy S3 on Verizon.

Verizon has by far has the largest LTE network (not to be confused with AT&T's statement that they have the largest 4g network, what they're referring to is HSPA+ (not nearly as fast as LTE)).

Be sure to check which carrier covers you.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/supp ... ge-locator
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=data

it's a byproduct of the iphone 5 design.....was done to help battery life with LTE, therefor it will never work with sprint/verizon

for clarification, the iphone 5 hardware simply won't allow it, it's that new architecture for LTE, where there is only 1 radio, instead of LTE having it's own radio
bkayrac

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:07 pm

bkayrac wrote:it's a byproduct of the iphone 5 design.....was done to help battery life with LTE, therefor it will never work with sprint/verizon

for clarification, the iphone 5 hardware simply won't allow it, it's that new architecture for LTE, where there is only 1 radio, instead of LTE having it's own radio

One of the articles I read suggests that as LTE matures (not sure what that means, exactly) then providers like Verizon will be able to have SVD. I don't totally understand why/how GSM can do this and LTE cannot. You'd think the next big thing would at least have what seems an important feature of older technology...
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bkayrac » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:51 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
bkayrac wrote:it's a byproduct of the iphone 5 design.....was done to help battery life with LTE, therefor it will never work with sprint/verizon

One of the articles I read suggests that as LTE matures (not sure what that means, exactly) then providers like Verizon will be able to have SVD. I don't totally understand why/how GSM can do this and LTE cannot. You'd think the next big thing would at least have what seems an important feature of older technology...

The problem is it just doesn't have the extra antenna......LTE is notoriously battery hungry, which is why many of the android phones have had severe issues with battery life with LTE enabled

They went with the new design, which allows LTE(a GSM variant) to work with a CDMA connection.....this allows them to keep providing the solid battery life that iphones give, along with keeping the size down......basically they are mixing 2 incompatible formats, so while it works, it doesn't have the same features as one has staying strictly with one format

LTE is capable of voice, BUT theres not anywhere near enough coverage, thats what they mean by LTE maturing, is the coverage not being terrible........verizon is decent, but anywhere outside of a mainish city and you probably won't get it

I may be rough at explaining it, but you should get the idea
bkayrac

Postby tibble » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:06 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:

So heres the reason:
With CDMA(verizons non-LTE tech for voice/data) you can only do one at a time, be it voice or data.
With UMTS(Att's non-LTE voice/data tech) you can.

With the iPhone 5 on verizon it switches the antennas to CDMA to make calls, no data.
With the iPhone 5 on ATT it switches the antennas to UMTS and can do both, but you won't get LTE speeds while on a call(boo hoo!).

Other verizon LTE phones have an extra transmit antenna so it can do LTE and CDMA at the same time, iPhone didn't have the space for the extra antenna and more importantly the extra chip to regulate it.

LTE is packet only, so it will only do voice through VOIP, most likely VoLTE, which isn't supported by the iPhone 5 either, and only supported by MetroPCS in the states.
Area Manager: South Eastern PA, USA
Waze Beta 3.7.2.993 - iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4
tibble

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Thanks for all the awesome info everyone.

I have decided, based on my typical travel patterns, that Verizon is going to be the best for overall/general voice/data coverage. In my usual haunts during the work week and at home, I should have LTE for data, though home is currently on the fringe.

The effect on Waze could be annoying, but I'm hoping it will be no more than that. I will investigate VoIP options for phone calls so as to stay in data mode as much as possible. The BT integration with the car won't be able to start a VoIP app when I ask the car to dial a number, so that will be a bit sad.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby xbassman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:25 pm

I am pretty fortunate here Alan.
AT&T is rolling out LTE in my market within the next couple of months.
That said, since my son is an AT&T employee so I won't be leaving anyway.

As to my earlier post about selling my old iphone4.
The Amazon vendor gave us credit for the amount promised.
I am sure some folks misrepresent the condition of their phones to their advantage.
We did not, but the phones we sent were in near pristine condition.
Area Mgr. - Tulsa, OK
xbassman

Postby gettingthere » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:31 pm

xbassman wrote:As to my earlier post about selling my old iphone4.
The Amazon vendor gave us credit for the amount promised.
I am sure some folks misrepresent the condition of their phones to their advantage.
We did not, but the phones we sent were in near pristine condition.

That's good news. Congrats!
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:33 pm

tibble wrote:With the iPhone 5 on ATT it switches the antennas to UMTS and can do both, but you won't get LTE speeds while on a call(boo hoo!).

Although you still can get what AT&T is advertising as 4G, HSPA+ when on a phone call with AT&T.

In any case, compared to iPhone 4 - the iPhone 5 is impressive in every regard :)
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General