[Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.5 Nov 16

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Script to add Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.3

Postby harling » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:54 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
jondrush wrote:I really miss the highlighting of all nodes with soft turns and segments with revcon. Any chance these will return?

I believe there was already a conversation on that topic during the beta phase. Cannot find the thread at the moment.

I stopped upgrading once that feature went away, because I have a thing about preventative maintenance. Should probably discuss it in the original forum, though.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:16 am

zCougar wrote:I often see that new inexperienced map editors change segment levels where not necessary. I have heard different excuse like they have tried to change segment priority or access level. To hunt down such segments from map is impossible without such a great tool as WME Color Highlights. To make it possible to highlight such segments which has level different than zero I added one more option to the list.

Quite a while ago, I proposed a feature on Uservoice that would display (and make selectable on the map) only roads within a certain range of levels. There are places in Boston where overpasses, surface streets and tunnels all stack on top of each other--with the requisite number of ramps snaking over, under and between throughout--and it can be nigh-impossible to see, let alone adjust, anything without zooming in so close that you can no longer see the "big picture".

The Uservoice page for the map editor is gone, and with it my suggestion, but it occurs to me that it -might- be possible to implement something along those lines using scripting. I expect that the tiles cannot be adjusted to remove undesired segments altogether, but by highlighting included segments, and suppressing selection of & snap-to excluded segments, would at least make it a bit easier.

If anyone would like to give it a shot, I'd be glad to develop a functional spec. (Even dig into the code myself, given some guidance about where I should look.)
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:40 am

Timbones wrote:Thing is, do levels actually have any purpose? They might be used for rendering overlapping roads in the client, but they don't influence routing. When there's a fat purple line on top of the map, the levels aren't visible anyway.

In the jumbles that I have worked on, I have been careful to set relative levels as correctly as I can determine. So, at least in those locations, the ability to view just a cross-section of those levels would accomplish exactly what I need.
Hiding levels won't be possible, as the tiles are drawn on the server.

I realize that they can't be hidden entirely, but they could be subtly de-emphasized visually; maybe slightly greyed-out. It actually wouldn't be bad to know where they are; the big deal would be to get the editor to ignore them when selecting, or adjusting geometry.

In some places, there are so many segments in close proximity that anything you try to move will snap to everything in sight, and even selecting a segment through the tangle of other roads is a challenge--again, unless you zoom in to a microscopic level, then zoom back out for some perspective, then zoom back in to make a geometry change, then zoom back for the big picture again, etc...
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby hebermc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:33 pm

Gas stations are turning red after loading the script and activating "Highlight Landmarks".
ImageImageImageImage
Area Manager Recife / Country Manager Brasil
Links importantes
hebermc
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Re: Script to add Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.0

Postby iainhouse » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:22 am

Wow! Thanks for keeping me editing until 3am.
UK Country Administrator
AM: London (DELETED), S Wales
Waze 3.7.3 • iPhone 4S (iOS 6.1.3) • Chrome/XP
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse

Postby iainhouse » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:23 pm

TIm - you're going to have to stop improving this script because we're running out of ways to say how useful it is!

Seriously, if there was a way for you to get a small percentage "cut" of all the points earned by using your scripts (a) I'm sure everyone would vote in favour and (b) you'd be the permanent occupier of the weekly #1 slot on the world scoreboard.

The only reason I don't think it should be part of WME, is that we get better support & response time from you! ;)
UK Country Administrator
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse

Postby iainhouse » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:26 am

Try looking at this node. It's just outside my editable area but the highlight still works for me, so I hope it will work for you. It is on the International server though ;) . The node has 2 soft turns and 1 u-turn allowed (I think that is "selfcon"). I've also seen purple highlights ("revcon"?) but don't have one to hand!

If I hover my mouse over the text with the coloured backgrounds in the Properties sheet, I get text showing the instructions to fix the problems. I'm using bog-standard Chrome on Windows XP.

I get the impression that most problems appear on roads that were probably once split. I've spent several hours going over all the major routes in my (fairly small) "home" area and I've found a considerable number of problems - including at least 3 affecting my daily drive to & from work that I haven't been able to identify up until now. Mainly unexpected u-turns when I disagree with Waze as to which way I should go!
UK Country Administrator
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
iainhouse

Postby iainhouse » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:55 am

I think (and I'm definitely outside my comfort zone here :oops: ) that self-connectivity is what allows those unexpected u-turns you see during navigation. In other words you are driving up a segment and Waze tells you to come straight back down the segment at the next junction. I presume that the segment is "connected to itself" and will therefore route back at the end.

Reverse connectivity (purple highlight) I have only seen with one-way segments, where another segment joining the one-way segment at it's "outlet" shows a purple highlight on the one-way segment. I presume this means that, even though it's one way in one direction, Waze sees a valid routing going the other way.

Mind you it is nearly 3am here and I'm watching Sunday Night Football and doing some work stuff and I really should be sleeping! I'm sure someone who knows what they're talking about will come along and correct me. :)
UK Country Administrator
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
iainhouse

Postby iainhouse » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:25 pm

shawndoc wrote:Just thinking out of the box.... Does this mean we can intentionally create u-turns with non-split roads, where u-turns are allowed?

Get back in the box at once! :o

All across the world we're finding & fixing the problems these cause, thanks (again) to Tim. Even if you created one - and locked it - you'd get a never-ending stream of requests to unlock it "so I can fix the connectivity at this junction".

Although a proper way of marking an allowable u-turn might not be a completely awful idea. :)
UK Country Administrator
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
iainhouse

Re: Script to add Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.4

Postby iainhouse » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:45 pm

I regret to report a possible problem. :(

I installed v1.4 last night and have been working on a basemapped area. I began to notice that I wasn't seeing any selfcons (red highlights) despite situations where I would expect them. I downgraded to v1.3 and found one almost immediately where v1.4 didn't.

This selected node has a selfcon on the segment to the left of it. V1.3 shows this but v1.4 does not.

I'll leave this node alone for you to look at, whilst I get on with double-checking the rest of the area with v1.3. Please let me know when I can clean it up. :)

[EDIT] I have also found a revcon that's not highlighting: this node is highlighting Conference Road (to the north of the node) as pink with v1.3, but just yellow for a soft turn with v1.4.
UK Country Administrator
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
iainhouse

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor