Why do you edit maps?

Moderator: Unholy

Why do you edit maps?

Postby stevecody » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:12 pm

To all of you Wazers who take the time to edit the Waze maps:

I've noticed that friends of mine look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I edit maps on Waze. I figure there must be some personality that drives people to want to edit.

Is it because you like cartography?
Is it because you like making maps and routing work better?
Is it because you like earning points and wearing a Waze Crown and being a Gold Wazer?

All of the commercial GPSs I've owned have always had issues with out of date maps. I like using a GPS even for places I know the route so that I can see my estimated arrival time. When the maps are outdated, the routing is wrong, and my arrival estimates are worthless. I also like to pay attention to the estimated arrival time when I try a different route so I can find the true fastest route.

Anyway, with all that said, I like to edit the maps because I hate having inaccurate maps in my GPS app. I love the fact that I can fix the routes I drive and see changes show up in a matter of weeks. I know that if I can make it better for me that I can hopefully make it better for others.

Also, the points system is pretty compelling too. I love being in the top 50 in my state overall. ;) And the #1 in my state for the last 2 weeks.

Lastly, I'm a computer geek. I am a Systems Engineer that works on servers and networking equipment all day long. I geek out at home with my Raspberry Pi and my Macs. I commute about 45 miles each way to/from work.

Steve
Steve Cody
iPhone 4 - Verizon - iOS 6.0.1
AM: Columbia, SC and Sumter, SC
stevecody
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Why do you edit maps?

Postby harling » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:05 pm

In terms of personality typing, I'm an Idealist (NF) rather than a Rational (NT). So although I too am a software engineer by profession, I'm less motivated by the technology per se, and more so by a sense that this is a worthwhile project in human terms. I contribute to Waze because I like the concept of crowdsourcing, and collaborative efforts to make systems work.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Postby weeezer14 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:28 pm

I'm a bit of a cartography geek and a I'm a computer engineer doing programming, network engineering, and project management for my "real job". In the end, editing maps isn't much different I guess -- I'm still using computers to get remote end points to connect in efficient ways while dealing with release schedules and bugs :lol:

Although I don't have a daily commute for work anymore, I love to drive and I still manage around 15,000 miles per year on the road even without a daily commute. (My wife has to travel for work so I usually go with her which means at least one week a month on the road.)

I grew up in NYC, Central Jersey, and North Jersey -- areas well known for traffic and poor signs. Since I still go back there a few times a year, I have a selfish desire for routing to work correctly :)

I may not be able to cure cancer or create world peace, but if I can make people's time on the road a little less stressful, I feel that I have helped people.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

Postby stevecody » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:35 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:...
I may not be able to cure cancer or create world peace, but if I can make people's time on the road a little less stressful, I feel that I have helped people.

I agree. I especially like to add brand new neighborhoods, even ones not showing up on the satellite imagery yet. I just think it's cool I can actually see the improvements that I've made, i.e. new roads, neighborhoods, etc., within a short period of time. There is a sense of satisfaction that I am helping other people, as well as myself. ;)
Steve Cody
stevecody
Area Manager
Area Manager

Why do you edit maps?

Postby Bigbear3764 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Making the maps right, seeing your changes quickly and helping others get around. As a firefighter, maps are important to us. We don't use waze to get around, but have pulled it out when I have time to report traffic or lane closures. Shh, don't tell my chief!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image Image
AM Chicagoland Area ILL Functional Class Map
CM North America
ILL Wiki
ILL To-Do
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby DangerDaneDK » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:36 pm

I do it mainly because I like helping out and adding to the collective map, so that others might benefit from a map more updated then most other GPS providers actually supply. I dont work in IT but would like to, but for the time being my present jobs keeps my bills paid so that is all well and good.

At the same time it gives me plenty of time on the road so I get to explore a big part of my country and map out "new" roads and get them added to the map so that it slowly and surely improves, considering we had no basemap to start with AT ALL.
Flemming J., Denmark
Area Manager: Triangle Area, SEJ, Denmark
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 SMF-900, Android 4.4.2, Waze: Newest

ImageImage
DangerDaneDK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CrackedLCD » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:38 am

I'm a bit of a cartography nut, but I also love the fact that I can contribute fixes and improvements that will eventually help others. There are lots of improved roads and recently built subdivisions where I live that were never added to Waze, so it's been fun adding these as I come across them. I just wish the changes showed up on my phone quicker. I've only been doing this a few days, though, so I reckon it'll be another week or two before anything shows up. In the mean time, I'm earning lots of points and having fun! 8-)
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby stevecody » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:06 pm

Well, I have never been much of a cartography nut, but I do like adding neighborhoods and other things that currently aren't in the maps. I like knowing that Waze can be more up to date than the commercial competitors, especially when it comes to newly completed road construction or new neighborhoods.
Steve Cody
stevecody
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby redshift9 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:37 am

I just think Waze is a neat idea, and I want it to work better.

I've been at this for less than a week, and the roads in my area seem to be pretty well mapped already, but already I've labeled several gas stations and a new grocery store that doesn't show up in the satellite photos yet. It's nice to be able to contribute (in a small way) even when I can't write a line of HTML to save my life.
redshift9

Postby BumbleBee2010 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:32 pm

I edit maps (when I can) for points, and to make waze better, the more people who use waze, the more speed traps that get reported LOL
BumbleBee2010

Next

Return to Website, Community, General