Android beta 3.4.99.110 Feedback thread

Moderators: Unholy, hilaroth

Re: Android beta 3.4.99.110 Feedback thread

Postby floppyrod84 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:13 am

+1 waze please please use black not blue or you will be helping to cause loss of screen colours on OLED phone screens.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby perlin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:34 am

xteejx wrote:It should already, otherwise what is the point of having it at all?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

It's not working as it should. We are improving it, but it won't be fixed for the next version.
Join Waze. We have cookies..
perlin
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby perlin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:35 am

pvaladares wrote:There is another bug: the "My Waze" button is not actually displaying the "Sword", "Shield" or "Crown"

We are aware of it. Thanks.
perlin
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby perlin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:37 am

xteejx wrote:+1 waze please please use black not blue or you will be helping to cause loss of screen colours on OLED phone screens.

We took all of your comments under consideration and we will change the scheme.
perlin
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby porubcan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:44 am

perlin wrote:
slow_mo wrote:I saw someone mentioning this problem, but since it is still not fixed in this beta but was present in two previous betas, I'll report a bug here.

The problem is that a speedometer disappears when adding a stop and pointing to a location on the map.

Steps to reproduce:
  • Navigate to any place
  • Go to menu and select "Add a Stop"
  • Go back twice to get back to the main screen
  • Tap and hold somewhere on the map and then select the blue arrow to the right of the popup
  • Press "Go" in the next screen
Speedometer will be gone.

Let me say that current way of selecting a point on map as a stop is not very intuitive. Better way would be to have a separate button saying something like "Point on Map" in the Navigate screen besides Categories, Favorites and History.

Actually, it's more complicated than that. The way you've described to add a stop is not legit. It is a bug that a stop has been added to your route... If you're tapping the "Add a Stop" button and go back twice, it should dismiss the selection. You're not supposed to be able to add the stop from the map.
So in fact you found 2 bugs. Thanks :D

regarding disappearing speedometer
After adding a stop (from menu, not map, by searching stop location, not using saved favorites) new route is calculated to include stop location and speedometer disappears. after looking in settings->map speedometer option is checked to be displayed, but you need to un-check and check again to display it. hope you will be able to reproduce this bug.
Image Image Image
SK Country Coordinator, SK Country Manager, Global Champ, Android Beta Tester
Waze 4.0.1.1 on HTC One M9, Android 6.0 @ white Škoda Octavia RS Combi
porubcan
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby perlin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:52 am

porubcan wrote:
perlin wrote:
slow_mo wrote:I saw someone mentioning this problem, but since it is still not fixed in this beta but was present in two previous betas, I'll report a bug here.

The problem is that a speedometer disappears when adding a stop and pointing to a location on the map.

Steps to reproduce:
  • Navigate to any place
  • Go to menu and select "Add a Stop"
  • Go back twice to get back to the main screen
  • Tap and hold somewhere on the map and then select the blue arrow to the right of the popup
  • Press "Go" in the next screen
Speedometer will be gone.

Let me say that current way of selecting a point on map as a stop is not very intuitive. Better way would be to have a separate button saying something like "Point on Map" in the Navigate screen besides Categories, Favorites and History.

Actually, it's more complicated than that. The way you've described to add a stop is not legit. It is a bug that a stop has been added to your route... If you're tapping the "Add a Stop" button and go back twice, it should dismiss the selection. You're not supposed to be able to add the stop from the map.
So in fact you found 2 bugs. Thanks :D

regarding disappearing speedometer
After adding a stop (from menu, not map, by searching stop location, not using saved favorites) new route is calculated to include stop location and speedometer disappears. after looking in settings->map speedometer option is checked to be displayed, but you need to un-check and check again to display it. hope you will be able to reproduce this bug.

Reproduced! Thanks!
perlin
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby Nacron » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:00 am

Pick up worked in the previous build now it does nothing after picking up the acknowledgement from the person being picked up

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i | Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 4 | 5.1.1 | Waze 3.9.8.0 RC beta
Android Beta | WME Beta
Hawaii SM | Bangkok, Thailand RM | Phitsanulok, Thailand AM
ImageImageImageImage
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby danieleser » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:37 am

danieleser wrote:I find it uncomfortable to report a problem you have to swipe your finger on the icon of the reports. I think this option should be customizable in the settings.

I changed my mind. Now I understand how to use new way to report a problem. When I tapped the screen probably I also swiped it.

At now I have no problem with this beta and no crash.
DANIELE
AM - Druento (TO)
Samsung Galaxy S2
Android 4.1.2
Waze 3.7.7
Link di AIUTO: COME EDITARE I NOMI DELLE STRADE - LE GIUNZIONI - LE SVOLTE - TUTORIAL EDITOR
danieleser
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby deeggo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:27 am

After using these betas for a while, I'm coming to the conclusion that the new Wazer mood icons are a bit pale or dull. It is easier to interpret the mood of other Wazers around me with the play store version. The beta version's moods don't speak out as much, even the royalty status is harder to spot. Maybe it's because they're smaller, or less colorful.

I used to be able to distinguish commuters around me based on their combination of mood, royalty and group icon. That's over now. Hope you can rethink this...
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

R: Re: Android beta 3.4.99.110 Feedback thread

Postby mmennella » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:11 am

khaytsus wrote:
deeggo wrote:Some thoughts on Waze closing in the background.

Since a couple of weeks I changed my HTC DesireHD for a HTC One X. I found out fast that Waze closes more often in the background on my new device than on my old, although its specs are higher. That has been this way with the current market version and the last 3.4.99 betas. Switching from Waze to the gmail app and reading an e-mail can be enough to trigger this.

With closing in the background I mean that the Waze icon stays in the task bar, but when switching to it, Waze relaunches as if it wasn't running at all.

Apparently, the One X (or Android 4) memory management is more aggressive. I'm never using any task killers.

Here's some info on this subject, that was found during the development of Flitsnav, a Dutch GPS program that was experiencing exactly the same during development. I hope it can help you improve this behaviour, since several users are reporting this.

Waze closing in the background has to do with Android's Out Of Memory (OOM) management.

Some info on OOM_adj (-17 tot +15): The LOWER the value, the MORE important Android thinks the process is.

Foreground Application: -16 to 0
Visible Application: 1
Secondary Server: 2
Hidden Application: 3 to 7
Content Provider: 8 to 14
Empty Application: 15

Maybe you can adjust Waze, so that it sets is own OOM_adj to -17 and repeats that every 5 seconds for instance?

I've been (attempting to) research this more to help provide specific info on how they can help here.... -17 isn't possible without root, and I believe the app must be a system app to do this at all. And in reality, -17 is probably not a good idea.

startForeground was my next idea, but according to Google engineers this is also a bad idea, unless you want your app running 24/7. We don't really want that.

So I dug into what Waze is running as today using an app called AutoKiller Memory Optimizer (no, it's not a task killer, it's pretty cool low level view of OOM levels etc on apps etc), and it seems to always be a "Hidden app" or "Previous app" in Jelly Bean, which puts it somewhere between 7-9 on the OOM kill list. Lower is better. A "Perceptible service" is better, at around 2, but I'm failing to find how to specify that in the app code/manifest... I think if Waze can figure out how to set itself as a "Perceptible service" it'll unlikely get killed unless memory is truly low.

Today, Waze seems to have the same priority as any other background app, and since it's large it'll probably be highest on the list to be killed. I've pondered some of the tweaks/patches that adjust the ICS/JB OOM priority list but I don't want to patch my ROM constantly, and of course that would only help me out. ;) So it'd be nice if the Waze guys can figure out a way to lower their OOM priority while the app is in the background. I'm sure it can be done, but I can't find any details offhand on what to specify in the startup or manifest or such.

I'm going to experiment with making Waze a system app.. Just for giggles, see what happens. I've heard system apps have better (lower in number) priority and are "harder" to kill.

+1
Great work
My phone is rooted and when i do long travel i modify nice lebel by hand using terminal.
This post can help to avoid my maniacal practice.

Inviato dal mio GT-S5300 con Tapatalk 2
mmennella

PreviousNext

Return to App Beta Testing